• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anybody ever found anything to help unrefreshing sleep?

*GG*

What I found that helps me feel better, when I wake up, I feel more rested than before. Remeron/ mirtazapine, I don't feel great, but I don't feel like I haven't rested/slept at all!

GG

Low dose Trazodone taken right before bed is moderately helpful. Trazodone is more resistant to tolerance than many sleep aids. The doses used for sleep are too low to trigger most of the side effects associated with the higher doses used for depression treatment.

Low dose Gabapentin dosed only at night is also helpful. The effects are subtle, but it helps.

*GG*

Low dose Trazodone taken right before bed is moderately helpful. Trazodone is more resistant to tolerance than many sleep aids. The doses used for sleep are too low to trigger most of the side effects associated with the higher doses used for depression treatment.

Low dose Gabapentin dosed only at night is also helpful. The effects are subtle, but it helps.

I 1st tried trazadone, got up to 150mg I think a night. Remeron was much more helpful. So after being on Remeron for about 10 years, it wasn't as effective. So I take 50mg of trazadone along with the max Dosage of Mirtazapine of 45mg.

GG

What dose?

I take 300mg gabapentin about 2-3 hrs before bedtime, for periodic limb movement disorder (PLMD). I definitely feel that my sleep quality is better when I take it.
If I take it too early, or go to bed too late, I can be awake, but feel less mentally sharp (it has the nickname; MORONtin, a play on the name brand, Neurontin).

Unfortunately, I have been experiencing insomnia recently, but that seems to be due to the low dose Abilify that I have just started.

Wishful

It's probably something unique to me, but proline certainly makes me feel more 'unrefreshed' when I wake up. I tried some wheat-based (fairly high proline) foods yesterday, and definitely felt groggier than usual, and it was really hard to pry myself out of bed. Proline might not be causing the 'unrefreshing sleep' symptoms, but for me it seems to increase or at least mimic them.

This is the reason I recommend going on a temporary 'safe' (empty calories) diet once in a while: if you have a certain food or nutrient in your diet every day, how can you know that it isn't causing problems?