• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anybody else using DIY transdermal B12?

ahmo

@Lowb12 I was part of a group buy of B12 powder a few years ago, which I made into nasal spray. I liked that a lot. But when there wasn't another group buy, I purchased on my own, and found it v expensive. I've now been using B12 oils for a year or two. I haven't had the energy to go back to DIY transdermal. Also, I'm in Australia, home of B12oils.com, so low postage fees. Maybe the folks who do home injections have a good solution, but I'm a bit too squeamish. good luck.

Hip

The transdermal B12 oils made and sold by Dr Greg Russell-Jones in Australia use a patented skin penetration enhancer, which gets an estimated 80% of the B12 across the skin and into the bloodstream.

Since each pump dose of the B12 oils contains 2.5 mg of B12, that equates to around 2 mg (2000 mcg) of the B12 getting into your bloodstream. That is more than most B12 injections (injections are typically around 500 to 1000 mcg).

There are no other transdermal products on the market which use this penetration enhancer technology.

The transdermal B12 oils made and sold by Dr Greg Russell-Jones in Australia use a patented skin penetration enhancer, which gets an estimated 80% of the B12 across the skin and into the bloodstream.

Since each pump dose of the B12 oils contains 2.5 mg of B12, that equates to around 2 mg (2000 mcg) of the B12 getting into your bloodstream. That is more than most B12 injections (injections are typically around 500 to 1000 mcg).

There are no other transdermal products on the market which use this penetration enhancer technology.
Hi hip and ahmo thank you for your responses. How have you found the use of these as a long term treatment hopefully they dont have any harmful additives. Also I wonder as they are produced by one man what if something happens to him. Nonetheless all the reviews definitely want me to try them at least even at the 2 3x I would pay for customs. I'll try to get them and report back. Currently I have tried injections , jarrow sublingual work great for me almost like injection but the acid have eroded my enamel to a dangerous extent. I have however found country life to be safer but require 3 4 to get the effect equal to one jarrow. Really wanna switch to something easier and more effective.

Hip

Also I wonder as they are produced by one man what if something happens to him.

We might then need to switch to B12 injections. But this usually works out to be more expensive, and is not as convenient.

I don't think there is much comparison between B12 injections or Greg's oils, and sublingual B12 tablets. I found the oils noticeably improved my brain fog, whereas B12 sublinguals did not help for that.

It is the citric acid preservative in B12 tablets which erode tooth enamel. I have experienced this myself, and thought I had ruined my teeth, they all became very sensitive at the gum line. But I bought some fluoride mouthwash, and brushed my teeth three times daily with that (being careful not to swallow any), and within a week all the unpleasant tooth sensitivity at the gum line disappeared. Fluoride is pretty effective in rebuilding the tooth enamel.

Last edited:
We might then need to switch to B12 injections. But this usually works out to be more expensive, and is not as convenient.

I don't think there is much comparison between B12 injections or Greg's oils, and sublingual B12 tablets. I found the oils noticeably improved my brain fog, whereas B12 sublinguals did not help for that.

It is the citric acid preservative in B12 tablets which erode tooth enamel. I have experienced this myself, and thought I had ruined my teeth. But I bought some fluoride mouthwash, and brushed my teeth three times daily with that (being careful not to swallow any), and within a week all the unpleasant tooth sensitivity at the gum line disappeared. Fluoride is pretty effective in rebuilding the tooth enamel.
Thanks unfortunately I have not had the same luck. My condition deteriorated pretty quickly due to the acid reflux/gerd I had triggered. But that is a total different discussion.
Also there was a otc called eligen b12 pretty effective one pill a day oral. Had some special carrier tech that worked even for people with pa. However for some reason the company stopped producing it. Another one that I'm convinced should work is lipsomal b12. The one that you can injest instead of spraying. Will try saving up and try both. Need to get rid of the tooth problems associated with sublingual
Thanks for the input again

Hip

One study by Prof Gottfries in Sweden showed that the most effective form of B12 for ME/CFS is methylcobalamin, which is one of the active forms.

But trouble methylcobalamin products is that this form of B12 rapidly breaks down within hours on exposure to light. Especially if it is in solution (like an injectable product). So unless you take care to prevent all light exposure, the product will be degraded.

Hydroxocobalamin does not have this issue, but the study found it is not quite as effective. Although some ME/CFS patients say they do better on hydroxocobalamin.

One study by Prof Gottfries in Sweden showed that the most effective form of B12 for ME/CFS is methylcobalamin, which is one of the active forms.

But trouble methylcobalamin products is that this form of B12 rapidly breaks down within hours on exposure to light. Especially if it is in solution (like an injectable product). So unless you take care to prevent all light exposure, the product will be degraded.

Hydroxocobalamin does not have this issue, but the study found it is not quite as effective. Although some ME/CFS patients say they do better on hydroxocobalamin.
I jabs odsed

It is the citric acid preservative in B12 tablets which erode tooth enamel. I have experienced this myself, and thought I had ruined my teeth, they all became very sensitive at the gum line. But I bought some fluoride mouthwash, and brushed my teeth three times daily with that (being careful not to swallow any), and within a week all the unpleasant tooth sensitivity at the gum line disappeared. Fluoride is pretty effective in rebuilding the tooth enamel.

Just an update have ordered the b12 oils. Let's hope it gets delivered on time as they are saying something about Australin provincial borders being closed which may cause alot of delay. Meanwhile I will keep you guys posted. Personally I am the type of person who reacts pretty quick to b12 and can notice minute changes. In addditom to mb12 shots Till now I have tried nurtifactors b12 5mg sublingual , gnc cyano sublingual 5mg ,
Jarrow 5mg b12, air 15mg and country life b12 5mg. Jarrow is definitely up there currently in mg list only second to an injection. Sadly it has very strong citric acid. Country life is good too but I feel I have to take 4 5 country life pills to get one effect of jarrow. Let's see how the oils fair.

@Lowb12 I was part of a group buy of B12 powder a few years ago, which I made into nasal spray. I liked that a lot. But when there wasn't another group buy, I purchased on my own, and found it v expensive. I've now been using B12 oils for a year or two. I haven't had the energy to go back to DIY transdermal. Also, I'm in Australia, home of B12oils.com, so low postage fees. Maybe the folks who do home injections have a good solution, but I'm a bit too squeamish. good luck.

Hi ahmo I found another product interestingly seems similar maybe even by the same guy just with another company. Unfortunately its in australia too. I have already ordered Greg b12 oils and waiting on it to arrive. Meanwhile looking for something with more options. Check it out if you have a chance to see how it compares. It's a cream though and its available on mass pharmacies too.
https://mthfrproducts.com.au/collections/supplements/products/mthfr-group-methyl-b12-cream