• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anxiety over coronavirus

Jemima37

Hello all,

I do suffer anxiety but this damn coronavirus hitting the UK is flaring my anxiety quite badly. We’re in Wales and touch wood cases are only in South Wales. It’s terrifying me though. My hands are raw from hand washing. I stay home anyway but of course with a husband that works and children in school and one at work it terrifies me they’ll pick it up and bring it into the house. Of course I’m scared for my family but they say children get it mild. Myself having CFS and my husband having asthma, I’m worried sick:

The kids are being great hand washing, one was protesting not being allowed to go into the England cities that have cases but after talking to him he now understands I can’t risk catching it.

I can feel calmer but then as soon as I put the news on or Twitter I see what’s happened that day and I can feel close to panic but manage to ground myself. It’s more a general anxiety but it’s wearing me out all the cleaning of door handles, surfaces etc multiple times a day. I’m crashed today.

I know no one can reassure me, we’re all in the same boat. In 40 years I’ve never seen anything like this, even swine flu that killed 200k worldwide I never saw cities lock down, panic buying etc it’s scary and hard not to worry this is really serious. My husband keeps trying to reassure me I won’t die and we will all be fine, as do my friends but having CFS I worry myself all the time.

On Friday my son went to a concert in Liverpool at the university as he’d had tickets for months. I didn’t want him to go but he did. I’m now terrified what if he has it and it’s in our house before he shows symptoms. I shouldn’t have let him go but he begged and there were about 80 cases in the Uk on the day so I let him. We’re now over 320 and 5 dead. So I’m petrified now.

Take care of yourselves all xxx

Last edited:

AnnieT

I understand! I am in the UK. Even a few days ago I wasn't really worried, I could see it in perspective. But now, I am worrying. I know an elderly person who fought in the war, he is worried, and nothing usually phases him ... so it's not just anxious people who are anxious.

It's the not knowing that is bad too ... they say we are a week or 2 behind what is happening in Italy. But the truth is, we don't know.

Hip

On Friday my son went to a concert in Liverpool at the university as he’d had tickets for months. I didn’t want him to go but he did. I’m now terrified what if he has it and it’s in our house before he shows symptoms.

At the moment, only roughly 1 person in a million has this coronavirus in the UK. So the chances of catching it at this point in time are very, very low.

But in a few months, if more and more people get it, then the risk will be higher. I expect at that point the government will temporarily ban mass gatherings anyway.

andyguitar

My hands are raw from hand washing.
In 40 years I’ve never seen anything like this, even swine flu that killed 200k worldwide I never saw cities lock down, panic buying etc it’s scary
Avoid damaging the skin on your hands @Jemima37 as all this will do is expose you to a skin infection. The difference between what is happening now and infections in the past is the rise of social media and smart phones. You cant get away from the news about it. Looking on the bright side the infection rate in China is way, way down.

Last edited:

Wolfcub

I think a lot of people are scared. But apparently, with most it ends up being a mild-ish illness not unlike a flu bug. But if someone is older, has underlying problems with heart/lungs etc it will hit those things quite hard.
All the ones who have died in UK have been older people with serious underlying health problems (no details on those conditions though, but I am guessing they were already quite ill with organ issues.)

But even people who have some problems have managed to do OK. There's a British couple in their 70s in hospital in Japan, just waiting for the man to test negative 2-3 times in a row. He's already had 1 negative, but as there's only 70% accuracy, he has to have 3 consecutively. He is also diabetic. Type 2.
They post vlogs every day, and look great. They say they feel good, no more symptoms, and can't wait to come home because they are stuck in a room and can't obviously go anywhere yet.

So it does take some of the fear away to see that regular update of theirs, and shows that even for those who catch it, it doesn't always have to be doom and gloom, and there can be a good recovery.

But I know. I think some amount of the worldwide anxiety has got to me too subconsciously, as I am not sleeping very well the last month.
I guess we can't help it.

Oh and a good hand cream is Neutrogena Norwegian Formula ;) I wouldn't be without it.

andyguitar

All the ones who have died in UK have been older people with serious underlying health problems (no details on those conditions though, but I am guessing they were already quite ill with organ issues.)
What puzzles me is how can they be certain the person died of covid 19 when they were very ill to start with? Just because they tested positive for it does'nt mean it's what killed them.

GlassHouse

I’m also quite worried about Covid19. I’m in the Sacramento area in CA and our local government has decided to waive the 14-day quarantine! They aren’t bothering with contact tracing or quarantines. Our local paper actually said that they aren’t bothering with containment just trying to mitigate the damage, and that high risk people should just stay home, and it’s on the at-risk people to fend for themselves.

I’m housebound but my husband works in a huge office in the heart of Sac.

Our way of dealing with it has been frequent hand washing of at least 20 seconds, plus disinfecting our cell phones with hand sanitizer or disinfectant wipes. Phones transport germs into the house. We have a can of Clorox wipes by the front door and we wipe down everything that we bring into the house: groceries, mail, household supplies, keys/ wallet/ credit cards/ phones/ eyeglasses.

I have an N95 mask, mini hand sanitizer, and sanitizer wipes for travel if I have to go to medical appointments. As long as the N95 mask is fitted properly and I don’t touch my face, and disinfect everything as soon as I’m home I think it should be ok.

Rebeccare

Moose Enthusiast
Even the most even-keeled people can't help but get anxious! Between the illness itself and the 24-hour news cycle, keeping calm is tough. I can't tell you not to worry, but I can suggest limiting yourself to checking the news and social media once a day, twice tops. There's no point in torturing oneself.

Oh and a good hand cream is Neutrogena Norwegian Formula ;) I wouldn't be without it.
It's the best!! O'Keefe's Working Hands cream is also great, especially for cracked hands.

Jemima37

Avoid damaging the skin on your hands @Jemima37 as all this will do is expose you to a skin infection. The difference between what is happening now and infections in the past is the rise of social media and smart phones. You cant get away from the news about it. Looking on the bright side the infection rate in China is way, way down.
Thanks Andy,
My hands are very sore with some paper cuts and dry skin. I’m using a good moisturiser and trying to reduce handwashing during the day when I’m home alone after I’ve cleaned.

I’m so glad it’s slowing down in China now, I sae that news today.

Jemima37

Even the most even-keeled people can't help but get anxious! Between the illness itself and the 24-hour news cycle, keeping calm is tough. I can't tell you not to worry, but I can suggest limiting yourself to checking the news and social media once a day, twice tops. There's no point in torturing oneself.

It's the best!! O'Keefe's Working Hands cream is also great, especially for cracked hands.
Very true Rebecca, social media and the news feeds even more fear and anxiety for sure.

Jemima37

I’m also quite worried about Covid19. I’m in the Sacramento area in CA and our local government has decided to waive the 14-day quarantine! They aren’t bothering with contact tracing or quarantines. Our local paper actually said that they aren’t bothering with containment just trying to mitigate the damage, and that high risk people should just stay home, and it’s on the at-risk people to fend for themselves.

I’m housebound but my husband works in a huge office in the heart of Sac.

Our way of dealing with it has been frequent hand washing of at least 20 seconds, plus disinfecting our cell phones with hand sanitizer or disinfectant wipes. Phones transport germs into the house. We have a can of Clorox wipes by the front door and we wipe down everything that we bring into the house: groceries, mail, household supplies, keys/ wallet/ credit cards/ phones/ eyeglasses.

I have an N95 mask, mini hand sanitizer, and sanitizer wipes for travel if I have to go to medical appointments. As long as the N95 mask is fitted properly and I don’t touch my face, and disinfect everything as soon as I’m home I think it should be ok.
Thank you.

Myers I’m making sure we all disinfect phones, wash hands often etc

Antibacterial hand washes and hand gel here has all sold out in the UK. Shops have no stock from people panic buying. You can’t buy basic foods or toilet tissue, painkillers too. It’s a huge concern.

Jemima37

Thank you Wolfcub, very reassuring and yes that couple I have seen on the news. I’m so glad they’re

I’m using that hand cream it’s almost like a wax, love it. Good stuff.
I hope you’re ok and your sleep gets better soon.

Pearshaped

Dont get me wrong,I really understand.
I already have a serious cough since 2 weeks and me and family are worried bec coughing costs me so much energy Im already weak and I don't have a runny nose at all..just cough.

An older relative of mine died a week ago very suddenly and unexpected of pneumonia.They didn't even test her.(?!!?)

But still,there are still many many more ppl each year dying from flu and nobody cares bec its not mentioned in the news.
Its always tragic when ppl die just bec the have caught a bug.Nowadays you would think this is rare.But it isn't.

Rufous McKinney

I just read that...thats crazy!!!!!!! and its likely that they can't test anybody, so this stay home is PROBLEMMATIC if actual valid tests are lacking.....so just go back to the mall.

ljimbo423

But still,there are still many many more ppl each year dying from flu and nobody cares bec its not mentioned in the news.
Its always tragic when ppl die just bec the have caught a bug.Nowadays you would think this is rare.But it isn't.

This is a blog from Dr. Jill Carnahan. A popular functional medicine doctor and very well informed-

Currently, the coronavirus is estimated to have at most a two to three percent fatality rate.1 And while that might sound scary at first glance, it’s important to put those numbers into perspective.

At the time of this article, a little over 2,500 people have died from coronavirus. Compare that to an estimated 291,000 to 646,000 people that die from the seasonal flu every year across the globe.3

Even if the deaths from coronavirus increased by a hundredfold, the number of deaths would only be approaching the lower limits of the estimated death toll caused by existing strains of the flu virus.
Source

Last edited:

Wolfcub

Antibacterial hand washes and hand gel here has all sold out in the UK. Shops have no stock from people panic buying. You can’t buy basic foods or toilet tissue, painkillers too. It’s a huge concern.
I've forgotten where you are, but I order online from either Morrisons or Tesco, and get a delivery every week from one or the other. I put in an order Saturday and it was delivered last night. There were no missing items, but 4 substitutes (couldn't quite get my favourite loo roll, but one close to it) And I ordered tricolore pasta spirals but got long spirals in one colour. Not that I mind at all. It's great. But there appear to be no shortages certainly on the website....