• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Antivirals for cold virus

Hi does anyone know of any antivirals, herbal or pharmaceuticals, which kill cold viruses? My ME was triggered by a cold virus 7 years ago and every time I take an immune stimulating drug or herb I have cold symptoms and much worse ME symptoms. I've realised I do not tolerate immune stimulators at all. This includes: cimetidine, astragalus, humic acid, reishi, coriolus, proboost.

Are are there any herbs that kill cold viruses directly or stopping replication but do not affect the immune system?
Thanks

linusbert

vitamin D does this + Vitamin C. its no herb thou.
i get the same worsening effects from citrus containing things. could also be allergy.

there is also the effect with chronic fatigue where the body feels like its starting to become sick but never does. this is a energy problem. body builder also sometimes get this, the bodybuilder flu.

i dont know any herbs though. maybe oregano oil?

hapl808

there is also the effect with chronic fatigue where the body feels like its starting to become sick but never does.

I experienced this for a decade or two before realizing I wasn't actually getting sick or fighting something off. Still don't really understand it, though.

linusbert

I experienced this for a decade or two before realizing I wasn't actually getting sick or fighting something off. Still don't really understand it, though.
me too, i used to get it when i was doing more sports like "body building" and other things at the same time. always got me after 1-2 weeks.
or after doing a lot of work.
or after having big psycho stress.
later i got it as well after sauna, which i was 1-2 times a week for idk, 10 years? ... at some point my body decided its too much.. sadly.

this is a classical symptom for mitochondriopathy / mitochondrial dysfunction.
but i think its actually something everyone gets when overexerting enough.

after all my whole muscle symptoms feel like i did massively overexert. the symptoms of overexertion are known to even medicine folks. its usually just recognized in athletes / body builder who went total bonkers with their efforts. too less resting phases etc.

Vit d and c don't work for me
for good anti viral effects blood levels must be in the 40-60+ ng/ml range.

Nord Wolf

The Northman
Have you tried things like:
Oregano oil
Olive Leaf Oil
L-lysine
Zinc and Copper combo
H2O2 soaks of the ear canal (usually 10 minutes per

I also use the "Copper Zap" which seems to work really well for either staving off cold viruses, or severely lessening symptoms and duration. Works for my wife, son and friends as well.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
The other thing is I once heard that a person can basically "eat" a cold meaning getting cold symptoms from things we eat that we are unknowingly sensitive to. As an example, if I eat smoke meat I will "catch" a very bad cold with swollen glands, raw throat, everything and it lasts for days to weeks afterward.

Perhaps the sensitivity is knocking our immunity down when it was already battling the cold. IDK. Just saying as it might be something you want to keep a mental food diary for.

Also, I posted things I use for flu in this thread: https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...ged-due-to-reduced-energy.62724/#post-1021979
I'm guessing the thymus glandular would be very similar to the proboost and you also mentioned vitamin C not working for you so cross those two off the list but maybe the other things might help. ???

Have you tried things like:
Oregano oil
Olive Leaf Oil
L-lysine
Zinc and Copper combo
H2O2 soaks of the ear canal (usually 10 minutes per

I also use the "Copper Zap" which seems to work really well for either staving off cold viruses, or severely lessening symptoms and duration. Works for my wife, son and friends as well.

I seem to do well with olive leaf but nothing has really solved the problem. I've tried most of the others with little success. Will look into the H202 thing though. Thanks for the advice.
Do you still experience this or have these things sorted it?

Rufous McKinney

know of any antivirals, herbal or pharmaceuticals, which kill cold viruses?

I use a chinese traditional formula you can order in pill form: Yin Chiao

I"m not sure how well it would work for your chronic situation, but might be worth trying to looking further into it.

I take it for 24- 36 hours if I think I am "exposed" or otherwise run down. In my case, it tends to reduce the severity of the cold symptoms to very low levels and I tend to recover quickly, WAY WAY BETTER if you ask me,

I don't think you would take it every day for a long time. But perhaps you could try it, its not that expensive.

I use brands which test their products.

Like:

This brand I believe ships out of San Francisco and they do considerable testing. Unlike many western herbs.

https://www.chineseherbsdirect.com/...rjo1lxdiD8iK_EGHAnPVvitIeXvsaW5hoCYZgQAvD_BwE

Nord Wolf

The Northman
I seem to do well with olive leaf but nothing has really solved the problem. I've tried most of the others with little success. Will look into the H202 thing though. Thanks for the advice.
Do you still experience this or have these things sorted it?
No problem. I just want to hear one day that this has been resolved, or at least gone into remission for you.
When the ME first started flaring up badly many years ago, I felt like that a lot. I always felt like I was getting sick. Over time, learning to pace, changing my diet, experimenting with a ton of supplements, and working with various lifestyle enhancements (breath work, meditation, etc), the constant feeling of being ill has subsided. I feel the ME and can fall into PEM of course, but the illness feeling has taken a backseat. It was actually 5 years since I had been actually ill. That changed last month with my contraction of the H1N1 Influenza virus that literally almost claimed my life.
But I have recovered and now just back to ME symptoms. But the illness feeling is no longer present. The only time of year when that feeling like I'm always getting sick can rear its head is mid autumn. I have not been sick in autumn for 7 years, but I tend to feel sick in autumn, but not the rest of the year anymore.