• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

antidepressant withdrawl

L'engle

moogle
FWIW, I have found that I have developed an extreme reaction to MSG in all its forms, causes severe insomnia - e.g., I made fish tacos the other night, had bad insomnia and then found "modified food starch" on the label of my green taco sauce - it had never affected me before. So you might try avoiding sources of msg, if you haven't already.

OK that explains several years later why I once didn't sleep an entire night after eating tacos with a flavor mix.
Had that once from the powdered flavoring in noodles. I've gotten away with it occacionally in recent years and just got a headache. I guess things can change over time. Why does MSG have to taste so good.

Mary

Moderator Resource
Why does MSG have to taste so good. (
My question is, why do they have to put MSG (or one of its derivatives) in virtually everything??? I had low potassium symptoms middle of the night (foot/lower calf spasms), drank a glass of low-sodium V-8 (quite high in potassium ) - yep - was awake the rest of the night. Checked the bottle in the morning and it had "natural flavoring" - just bad bad bad! I actually wrote to them about it and they never responded.

L'engle

moogle
My question is, why do they have to put MSG (or one of its derivatives) in virtually everything??? I had low potassium symptoms middle of the night (foot/lower calf spasms), drank a glass of low-sodium V-8 (quite high in potassium ) - yep - was awake the rest of the night. Checked the bottle in the morning and it had "natural flavoring" - just bad bad bad! I actually wrote to them about it and they never responded.

Now that it's called "yeast extract" it's been rebranded as a health food and put in everything, health store food included.

I'd like to come off my Fluoxitine (prozac), but i tried to before and it was too difficult because of the withdrawal effects. I want to ask a question to anyone else who has withdrawn from these drugs.

I'm on 20mg and want to know, would for example, taking a pill every second day have the same effect as switching to 10mg?

Cause i'm not sure if i can get 10mg pills in the UK.

Please see The Withdrawal Project at innercompass.org. When withdrawal is this bad, you need to taper EXTREMELY slowly. Like a teensy fraction of a pill per day, or 10% per month.

How do you decrease by such a small amount? There's various ways, as detailed on the website I linked. The way I did was dissolve the pill in water, then use a syringe to remove exactly the amount necessary every day.

I was impatient before this. I kept trying to get off the med (clozapine) in a few months at most. The withdrawal anxiety was unbearable and I always restarted, one time even ending up on a much higher dose to deal with the withdrawal.

Finally, with the guidance from the site (you don't need a lot of help, it's basically the process I described above) I tapered slowly over the course of a little more than 3 years. Even at that rate, it was pretty bad, but still bearable. I could adjust the rate on the fly to get the perfect balance of minimizing withdrawal symptoms just to where I could live with it.