• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anti-inflammatory brain cells activated by signals from gut bacteria

Wishful

https://newatlas.com/science/anti-inflammatory-brain-cells-astrocytes-gut-microbiome/

"It turns out bacteria in the gut modulate the expression of a signaling molecule called interferon-gamma. When this molecule reaches the brain it then induces these specific astrocytes to help kill the pro-inflammatory immune cells."

“Finding microbiome-controlled anti-inflammatory subsets of astrocytes is an important advance in our understanding of CNS inflammation and its regulation,”

ljimbo423

Excellent find @Wishful I expect @ljimbo423 will find it interesting.

I read it. It's interesting to hear about "anti-inflammatory" actions in the brain from bacteria in the gut. Most studies refer to bacteria in the gut causing inflammation.

This quote is from the article-

The research, led by scientists from Brigham and Women’s Hospital, focused on astrocytes, a common type of non-neuronal cell abundant in the brain and spinal cord. Astrocytes play a number of diverse roles in the brain from helping regulate neural activity to maintaining the blood-brain barrier.

I think a "leaky" blood brain barrier (BBB) might play a role in ME/CFS. I have HUGE sensitivities to almost every medication, vitamin or herb on the planet. My best guess is that's being caused by a compromised or "leaky" BBB.

I can't think of any other reason that something a simple as 200 mg of ginger root powder, etc, would cause extreme anxiety and a tremendous increase in energy.

Last edited: