• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Another Dopamine agonist

Martin aka paused||M.E.

I dont think the main benefit of Abilify is through its Dopamine modulation. I took Quetiapine with a VERY similar mechanic for several yeras without effect.
Abilify seems to be unique in reducing cytokine induced inflammation in the brain.
With a leaky brain barrier we get all kinds of unwated immune reactions to our brain.
I think it’s more du to its properties regarding the serotonin receptors... haven’t seen any other drug with exact the same effects... that would perhaps implement in the metabolic trap theory... at least better than dopamine agonism ...

Jackb23

I dont think the main benefit of Abilify is through its Dopamine modulation. I took Quetiapine with a VERY similar mechanic for several yeras without effect.
Abilify seems to be unique in reducing cytokine induced inflammation in the brain.
With a leaky brain barrier we get all kinds of unwated immune reactions to our brain.

Abilify does differ from many Neuroleptics in that it is a partial agonist at many of the 5 Dopamine receptors. Most neuroleptics are antagonists at these receptors, including seroquel. Abilify does block a lot of cytokines like you pointed out, however.

DA receptor activation canlead to an anti inflammatory cascade so it could just be that or be from something totally unrelated to that.

leokitten

Also an agonist for 5-HT2a receptors. No control group in the study @Martin aka paused||M.E. so there is a possibility of placebo effect. Needs to be a proper double blind trial. I would expect the results of any such trial would rule out placebo effect. But then I'm an optimist!

The same group did an OSU6162 double-blind RCT a couple years ago:

https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...biliser-osu6162-in-treatment-of-me-cfs.56525/

They didn’t get a good result, but made I believe a critical error in the study design, they only gave the drug (or placebo) for 2 weeks! So the me no surprise the outcomes weren’t great.

This new open-label study here from the same group fixed that by dosing for 12 weeks, plus they employed an new highest dosage level 45 mg bid. They should’ve done this design as double-blind RCT I don’t know why since they already had the experience.

Oliver3

Regarding benzos such as diaezepam. Are they acting in a similar way?
Today I took a 5 mg benzo and the current state of pem just subsided. My pots calmed down. The sense if impending doom vanished.
It'll be temporary but seems to reset me for a bit. Are benzos mast cell stabilisers