• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

A randomised controlled trial of the monoaminergic stabiliser (-)-OSU6162 in treatment of ME/CFS

hixxy

A randomised controlled trial of the monoaminergic stabiliser (-)-OSU6162 in treatment of myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome.

Nilsson MKL, Zachrisson O, Gottfries CG, Matousek M, Peilot B, Forsmark S, Schuit RC, Carlsson ML, Kloberg A, Carlsson A.

Abstract

OBJECTIVE:
The monoaminergic stabiliser (-)-OSU6162 has in previous studies shown promising effects on mental fatigue after stroke and traumatic brain injury. This study investigated the safety and effectiveness of (-)-OSU6162 in patients with myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome.

METHODS:
A total of 62 patients were randomly assigned to placebo or (-)-OSU6162. Primary outcomes were assessment on the mental fatigue scale (MFS) and the clinical global impression of change (CGI-C) scale. Secondary outcomes were results on the FibroFatigue scale (FF), the Beck Depression Inventory (BDI), the pain visual analogue scale and neuropsychological tests. Assessments were performed at baseline, after 1 and 2 weeks of treatment and at follow-up after 6 weeks.

RESULTS:
MFS and CGI-C showed significant improvements for both treatment groups after treatment but not at follow-up; a similar pattern was seen for FF and BDI. However, significant differences between groups could not be demonstrated. On the other hand, correlation analyses showed a significant correlation between (-)-OSU6162 concentration and change in MFS, FF, and BDI score within the concentration interval 0.1-0.7 µM. Exploratory subgroup analyses showed a larger treatment effect with (-)-OSU6162 in improving MFS and FF symptoms in patients on antidepressant therapy compared to those without antidepressant treatment.

CONCLUSION:
(-)-OSU6162 was found to be safe and well tolerated. When analysing the entire material (-)-OSU6162 was not found to differ significantly from placebo in alleviating fatigue in ME patients but was superior to placebo in counteracting fatigue in a subgroup of ME patients who received concomitant pharmacological treatment for depression.

KEYWORDS:
(−)-OSU6162; fatigue; monoaminergic stabiliser; myalgic encephalomyelitis

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29212562