• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Andrew Cutler Chelation - General Thoughts

What are the general thoughts on Andrew Cutlers Chelation?
On my journey to health i've come across so many theories and modalities - how do people feel about this chelation protocol? From what i gather this process can take multiple years, and dont want to further mess with my sleep (waking up every 3 hours) - if this is something that is heavily debated. Any thoughts?

I personally think my COMT V158M++, COMT H62H++ and MOA r297r++ Genes are causing a total neurotransmitter mess. I haven't slept through the night in a year an a half - and battle through the day with anxiety and no memory. It's a living hell. It all actually started when i looked into genes - so a lot of this is no doubt psychosomatic - however the worry lead to a physically bad space, which has perpetuated the worry. Extremely high adrenaline, no serotonin. Mind just races.
I know there is nothing i can really do about the genes, however im starting to think that there is something more at play - and that these, coupled with potential mercury toxicity might be it.

Learner1

The ideal thing to do would be to see a good functional medicine doctor who can test you so you know what you're dealing with and optimize a treatment plan.

A Doctors Data Provoked Urine Heavy Metals Test can tell you what metals you're dealing with. Multiple chelators should be used as they work with different metals - EDTA, DMSA, and/or DMPS.

Knowing your nutrient status going into chelation is important. Being able to methylates well and produce glutathione is critical to success.

Chelation will stress your system, and you will need nutrients to support it, especially minerals, B vitamins, antioxidants, and amino acids, so building a comprehensive nutrient support plan going in is useful. Along with having your digestive system working well to eliminate mobilized toxins so they don't get reabsorbed. Using binders is wise, too.

My doctors run a Genova Diagnostics NutrEval test as well as RBC of certain minerals. We repeat it once a year to check status, and they check kidney and liver function, too.

My opinion on Cutler is that if you have no doctor but know you have be any metals, its a slow but competent protocol that will likely keep you out of too much trouble.

However, having spent 3 years under doctor supervision on a much more intense protocol, followed by getting rid of arsenic, lead, cadmium, and platinum, I think I'd be dead if I chelate on Cutler's schedule - I did get stage 3 cancer and the toxicity likely contributed to it.

There are also multiple levels of toxicity. Its wise to eliminate from your body fat first. Then you can get toxins out of your brain and your mitochondria using alpha lipoic acid. Even once I thought I was pretty clean, I started using an ALA product under doctor supervision and has whopping amounts of arsenic and lead come out of my mitochondria.

This process under an excellent doctor supervision took a total of 6 years. Of encourage, as youre doing, to carefully think through your approach, have a good plan, stick to it, and test for toxin and nutrient status every 9-12 months.

It's daunting to get rid of heavy metals, but worthwhile for many reasons - they can clog your mitochondrial membranes, feed infections, cause cancer, and interfere with ATP production.

Best wishes...

NotThisGuy

obviously money is a critical point as well. cutler is the cheapest way to get metals out and be as safe as one can be while doing this.

edit: deleted the question because it was stupid... its already late here... need to sleep :D

Last edited:

Johnmac

Joining one of the Curler groups might afford you the best information - e.g. Frequent Dose Chelation.

I found Cutler chelation to be beneficial & worth the trouble. I chelate 2-hourly round the clock for the geometric increase in chelation that provides. Done nearly 400 days so far.

I found it helped with energy, cognition, startle reflex, clumsiness, libido, & quite a few other things. Prostate pain vanished & hasn't returned. It doesn't seem to have abated my mild aspieness.

Yes, the constant dose is very important - episodic dosing = mercury redistribution = serous spaciness & dysfunction.

Cutler says that his hair test is the most accurate diagnosis, & that other tests (e.g. urine) are not accurate. Also trying the protocol is diagnostic, as a reaction will indicate Hg.

What are the general thoughts on Andrew Cutlers Chelation?
On my journey to health i've come across so many theories and modalities - how do people feel about this chelation protocol? From what i gather this process can take multiple years, and dont want to further mess with my sleep (waking up every 3 hours) - if this is something that is heavily debated. Any thoughts?

I personally think my COMT V158M++, COMT H62H++ and MOA r297r++ Genes are causing a total neurotransmitter mess. I haven't slept through the night in a year an a half - and battle through the day with anxiety and no memory. It's a living hell. It all actually started when i looked into genes - so a lot of this is no doubt psychosomatic - however the worry lead to a physically bad space, which has perpetuated the worry. Extremely high adrenaline, no serotonin. Mind just races.
I know there is nothing i can really do about the genes, however im starting to think that there is something more at play - and that these, coupled with potential mercury toxicity might be it.

Rufous McKinney

I started using an ALA product under doctor supervision and has whopping amounts of arsenic and lead come out of my mitochondria.

The proteolytic enzymes also "do something" which seems to lead to some detox and metal dumps. Serrapeptase, nattokinase, those types. They seem to be involved in some of the biofilms, I notice my lungs improve, so its doing some thinning and moistening.

I notice the taste of metal on my tongue shortly after taking them. I take them infrequently, as I am pretty loaded up and must go very very slowly on any detox effects.

I do have a friend who has written an entire book on Mercury and is convinced its the cause of all problems.

For what is worth, I lost about 40 pounds...(egad) slowly ...and burned thru much of that fat. I ate less at dinner. Didnt exercise it away.

Johnmac

@Johnmac What was your starting DMSA dose? And how did you measure it? I mean I'm finding supplements online that are minimum 40mg.
@garyfritz

I can't remember now - it would have been low, but rapidly escalating, as DMSA caused me no problems for a year or so. Later on I had bad reactions to foods with thiol particles in them, so had to scale the dose down.

I mixed it up with fruit juice, then drew a ruler on the side of the fruit juice bottle - to give me my mouthful every 2 hours at the correct dose.

Hope that helps,

@Johnmac Thanks! May I ask why the 2 hourly round the clock when I read it is normally 4 hours? Did you use to set alarm every 2 hours at night too for 400 days? Sounds like hell.
edit: I've found Living Supplements has all sorts of dosages.

I was about to start a few tonics that comprise of chlorella among other things, seems like it's not a very good idea if I've never chelated.

Last edited:
edit2: nevermind I realize the 2 hours is for ALA.

@Learner1 I wanted to ask whether you've ever come across this information:
I've read only X-ray absorption near-edge spectroscopy (XANES) would detect Hg moving into dentinal tubules, as no one undergoes that exam, is everyone possibly chelating with Hg in their teeth?
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18296776/

CedarHome

A couple years ago I ordered Cutler's book (never used it) and now it's out of print.

If anyone needs or wants to go through that protocol rather than working with a dr. and would like the book, please message me and I'll send it to you.

I don't know if this is the right place to post this.

CedarHome

A couple years ago I ordered Cutler's book (never used it) and now it's out of print.

If anyone needs or wants to go through that protocol rather than working with a dr. and would like the book, please message me and I'll send it to you.

I don't know if this is the right place to post this.

Okay I think I have someone who wants it.