• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Amisulpride — A Multipurpose Drug for ME/CFS

choochoo

My symptoms which amisulpride improved are listed in the first post. This drug worked quite well for sound sensitivity and irritability, I found.

I did not notice any effects on energy or stamina, though a study found amisulpride may improve these (see 1st post).

I have not tried L-dopa.

Thanks for the info.

MartinK

Hi @Hip I found this old article what I search informations about Abilify.

Note that amisulpride is not the only antipsychotic that may show benefit in ME/CFS: quetiapine (Seroquel) is also used in ME/CFS and fibromyalgia for treating pain and improving sleep (as well as helping depression ).

You also tried quetiapine and compared with Amisulpride? Or its different drugs and cannot be compared?

I ask because I can provide some experience with Quetiapine...from 20 mg to 100 mg. I had it for a long time combined with Mirtazapine for my sleep disorders in last 2 years. I know that a larger dose of Quetiapine caused me hot flashes and a feeling of fainting when I got up at night and went to the toilet. But this is only experience what I have! No other results that would improve or worsen my condition...
In addition, I think what improved my sleep the most anyway is DNRS training...Im really calm now.

Hip

You also tried quetiapine and compared with Amisulpride?

I have not really tried quetiapine; I bought some, but only tested a half of a 50 mg tablet a few times, and I realized it makes me drowsy, and slightly lightheaded, so I did not continue with it. I guess the drowsiness might be useful for insomnia, if taken before bed.

Hipsman

@Hip how long do you think this is worth trialing for to see if there's any benefits?
This small scale study of the benefits of amisulpride for ME/CFS found that 25 mg of this drug taken twice daily reduced fatigue and somatic complaints, such as pain.
So the study used 12.5mg twice daily in the mourning and evening, correct? If this is the case, you might want to make this more clear.

Hip

@Hip how long do you think this is worth trialing for to see if there's any benefits?

I noticed the benefits immediately, within hours.

The half life of amisulpride is 12 hours, so you can get away with a single daily dose, especially if like me you are only awake for 14 hours a day, and asleep for 10.

Hipsman

I noticed the benefits immediately, within hours.
I'm interested to see if I can get any overall improvements in energy/fatigue from Amisulpride, like in the study.
From study:
primary outcome measure of this efficacy study was symptom alleviation after twelve weeks of treatment
So I'm wondering if taking it for a few weeks might be required to see if any benefits manifest.

Hip

So I'm wondering if taking it for a few weeks might be required to see if any benefits manifest.

That's possible. I did not notice much effect for energy and fatigue, for me it helped things like sound sensitivity, irritability and depression. It has immediate effects on those, I find.

Hipsman

I have already tried 12.5mg, 25mg and 50mg a day (one day each) - no effect. Will trial 25mg daily for a week or two before giving up.

Rvanson

Abilify in small doses can increase dopamine, but at the risk of Tardive Dskensia. I don't understand wh6y th6e FDA has never approved Moclobemide. It is a reversible Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitor which tends to work on MAO A and very little of MAO B. When I ordered it over the internet, I noticed a fast increase in less depression and I felt like I could lift things much more easily. The downside was extreme insomnia. Canada, UK and Australia have it but not in the US.

lenora

I haven't developed any "man boobs" (gynecomastia), which I believe is a symptom of high prolactin in men. Though I do notice my libido is significantly reduced on days when I take amisulpride — and reduced libido can result from high prolactin.

I usually take a very low 12.5 mg daily dose of amisulpride; and every week or two, I take a break from amisulpride for a couple of days. So at this very low dose, perhaps I am not raising my prolactin levels too much.

Even so, I wish I could find a workaround to prevent the low libido induced by amisulpride.

Hello Hip & others who may be involved:

So then it may not be the best drug for a person who had a pituitary tumor about 40 years ago? (That was treated with the drug, bromocriptine)?

Also, Hip, what about someone who is on things like lexapro, lyrica and xanax. I'm assuming these should be gradually stopped, is that right? Were you ever on them? My neurologist is ultra-helpful, so will ask him....but the overseas ordering is a problem. Right now, I'm fairly well stabilized, can't complain...well, I can, but what's the use?

All advice would be appreciated. 2012 is a long time ago....things may have changed with all of you since then.

As far as abilify goes, my understanding that low doses work and shouldn't be used too often or the effects wear off. I would only use it if I was totally bedridden and a real hardcore case. Better slow than destroy all effectiveness of any drug. Thanks@ Yours, Lenora.

Hip

So then it may not be the best drug for a person who had a pituitary tumor about 40 years ago? (That was treated with the drug, bromocriptine)?

I don't really know, you would have to ask a doctor about that.

Also, Hip, what about someone who is on things like lexapro, lyrica and xanax. I'm assuming these should be gradually stopped, is that right? Were you ever on them?

I take a few low-dose antidepressant drugs along with the very low-dose amisulpride, in order to treat depression (the drugs I list in this post). But drug compatibility and interaction are something your doctor should be able to help with.

I still take very low dose amisulpride every day, which helps for some ME/CFS symptoms, but also helps with the very mild psychosis-type symptoms I get.

lenora

I don't really know, you would have to ask a doctor about that.

I take a few low-dose antidepressant drugs along with the very low-dose amisulpride, in order to treat depression (the drugs I list in this post). But drug compatibility and interaction are something your doctor should be able to help with.

I still take very low dose amisulpride every day, which helps for some ME/CFS symptoms, but also helps with the very mild psychosis-type symptoms I get.

Hi @Hip. It's actually good to hear you tell people to check with their doctors as so many don't. To be honest, many of these drugs have helped save my life and restore some measure of sanity to it.

True, I would rather (& am in some cases) on natural healing methods, but there are times when we need help and help is available if we look for it. I'm not saying it's easy....certainly not, but there are now at least 100% more centers than we had available at the beginning of this.

One problem we'll see more of in the future is one I've already been through: The mechanical problems associated with this illness. More and more will be found, but I would like to stress that it won't always mean the eradication of ME/CFS/FM from our lives. The earlier these problems (such as CCI & Chiari) are found, the better. The lesser amount of damage caused. That's why it's mandatory to find good MRI techs, plenty of doctors to read the results and have the necessary knowledge to recognize and deal with them. Surgery isn't always the only answer...listen to what you're being told, and listen carefully. Yours, Lenora.

@Hip First off, as a new member I just want to thank you for all the contributions you've made on these forums. I've been going through a lot of old posts and you seem to be everwhere with lots of good information.

I was wondering if Amisulpride is still working for you, and if you knew of any other ME/CFS sufferers who have had the success with it that you have (besides the ones who talk about it in this thread)? I know the big issues people are usually focused on fixing are fatigue and PEM, so I can kind of understand why it hasn't become more widespread, but I am still surprised that I don't see it talked about more. It feels like Amisulpride hits a ton of related quality of life issues (many of which my wife experiences).

She's basically restarting from zero on her meds, just taking a few supplements at the moment, and given the low cost and how quickly you saw results Amisulpride seems like an easy thing to trial before we start adding other meds that might complicate things.

Hip

I was wondering if Amisulpride is still working for you, and if you knew of any other ME/CFS sufferers who have had the success with it that you have

I am still taking 12.5 mg daily, and it still helps certain symptoms. I don't know many ME/CFS patients who have tried very low dose amisulpride.

Many will be wary of taking antipsychotics, because of the serious side effects they can trigger (discussed in this thread). However, with these very low doses, the risk of developing these has been shown in studies (mentioned in the firs post) to be very much less.

There is an entire Facebook group devoted to Abilify for ME/CFS, and many are experimenting with that; but I don't think many are trying amisulpride.

@Hip First off, as a new member I just want to thank you for all the contributions you've made on these forums. I've been going through a lot of old posts and you seem to be everwhere with lots of good information.

Thanks, glad you liked the posts. I guess I am an old hack on these forums, having posted here for over 10 years.

nsdn

I successfully tried Amisulpride 10 mg but I put on weight and stopped. Has anyone tried doses like 5mg?