• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Amisulpride — A Multipurpose Drug for ME/CFS

Shanti1

Administrator
I used to have military-grade irritability when I first developed ME/CFS. It was really severe, and I had to bite my lip all the time. So I was always looking for treatments, and trying to figure out what would trigger it, because it is such an unpleasant mental state.

Apart from amisulpride, I found the following reduce my irritability:

Estriol 0.3 mg (as a transdermal cream on my arms) I found improves irritability, sociability, and boosts mood a bit within a few hours. Though as a male I can't use it all the time, as you would start growing breasts. I originally experimented with estriol as it is a weak oestrogen which has anti-autoimmune effects, and has been used as an MS treatment. I found no benefits for my ME/CFS, but noticed it was good for irritability.

Arginine 10 grams daily.

Vitamin B2 50 mg.

N-acetyl-cysteine I read is sometimes used to treat the severe irritability found in autistic children, though I have not tested this for my own irritability symptoms.

Occasionally I also get anger flair ups (for no external reason, just due to aberrant brain chemistry), and would spend the whole day in an angry mood, which I don't find pleasant at all. Anger I find is similar to irritability, but there is more emotional weight behind anger.

It took me many years to find a solution, but I discovered that supplements which suppress testosterone, and suppress dihydrotestosterone (DHT), actually work very well to calm the anger, and work within a few hours.

So my usual anti-anger protocol is: saw palmetto (standardised extract) 320 mg, peppermint oil 200 mg and zinc 25 mg. These all lower testosterone or DHT, and clear my anger within a few hours.

Thanks for sharing these additional strategies.

My androgens are pretty low, so using anti androgen/DHT strategies prob won't help me. I have actually tried taking testosterone and DHEA to see if they would help my energy levels, but no change. Good for others to know about the antiandrogen approach though.

I don't do well with NAC or B2, for unknown reasons. Arginine seems to aggravate my OI.

Estriol is an interesting one. I may try that given its autoimmune/anti-inflammatory research. Since I'm a pre-menopausal female, it might even block some of my stronger E2.

I have been experimenting with GHK/GHK-cu and that actually seems to give some relief for a few hours after injection if the hyperacusis and irritability start acting up.

eric_gladiator

unfortunately I have very bad experience with these laboratory drugs, so much so that I think my was triggered by them. Has anyone tried cordyceps fungus? does the same but naturally

Has anyone had lasting improvements in fatigue and/or alertness with amisulpride? Most of the anecdotes here make it sound useful for irritability / sound sensitivity, but I don't have those issues.

I tried Abilify, but found it very hard to tolerate, and it made me feel foggy instead of the stimulation I was looking for. If anyone has tried both drugs, and can provide a subjective comparison, I would greatly appreciate it.