• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

American supplements may contain nothing.

pamojja

Im still looking for a good B-complex and a good multi-v.

There isn't one good combination product for everyone, since they have different amounts of ingredients, and everyone needs are different.

However, I found I do well with 1 tablet a day of LEFs Two-Per-day: https://www.lifeextensioneurope.com/two-per-day-tablets-60-tablets-life-extension

And 4 caps of Bioactive B-Complex: https://www.lifeextensioneurope.com/bioactive-complete-b-complex-60-vegetarian-capsules

LifeExtension uses most bioavailable ingredients, and leaves those out not so beneficial to everyone (iron, copper, less manganese, folic acid, cyanocobalamin). And is reasonable priced. You'll find their products also on iherb.

But as already said, everyone's needs are different and I still need to fill many gaps by taking individual nutrients additionally again (Benfotiamine, Niacin, Panthetine, Methylcobalamin lozenges, Metylfolate, CoQ10, Retinol, Gamma-tocopherols and tocotrienols, Colecalciferol, K-vitamins, Magnesium, Potassium, Sodium, Zinc, Iodide, Boron, Selenioum, Molybdenum, and on and on).

YippeeKi YOW !!

@Pearshaped
Country Life Co-Enzyme B-Complex is excellent, and like Life Extension, uses extremely bioavailable ingredients .... look up the ingredients on iHerb or AMazon .... good stuff, depending on your needs and sensitivities and any SNPS or methylation issues you may have to contend with. I've been gong thru a period where I just don't tolerate any B-Complex right now, and now that I think of it, it might be time to trial it again.

Pure Encapsulations makes a very good one as well, but too tired to hump down to the kitchen right now to check the full official label name. Will get back to you, but in the meantime, look up Pure Encapsulations B-Complex and check out the contents, see what you think.

Will be waiting for the reset info, but probably not standing up :xeyes::xeyes::xeyes::xeyes: :):thumbsup:.

YippeeKi YOW !!

@Pearshaped
regarding WHERE to start looking for the reset button id say
"scratch first where it itches most"
(hope you understand.sorry language skill went on holiday without telling me)
Gotcha'. Very Zen.

Unfortunately, re the reset instructions, I'd need more arms that Kali just to start to get to the most maddening itches, and the others are way too hard and involved to contemplate right now.

Crap. No easy answers.

And your language skills are perfect, at least as far as I'm concernd. I can guarantee you that your English is leagues better than my French, German, or Italian, depending on where y'all are over there. No that it matters. From what I understand, you'd better be multi-lingual just to navigate, altho almost everyone speaks English, more's the pity.

Some wag opined that God invented wars to force Americans to learn geography. We can probably add alternate languages to that as well.

Last edited:

YippeeKi YOW !!

@Pearshaped
Re a good multi, Vital Nutrients makes a raft of them, with or without iron, copper, boron, iodine, etc, depending on your needs. Doses can be adjusted, sine all of them recommend 2 to 3 caps, two to three times a day. I take half doses of the one I use (Multi V), or 2 caps a day, in divided doses.

Amazon carries pretty much all of them, or you can just go to the Vital Nutrients website. They're carried mostly by naturopathic offices, chiropractors, functional medicine practitioners, etc. Highly regarded brand. They're slightly cheaper on Amazon, and about the same as VN website on iHerb last time I looked.

EDIT FOR PS ..... and as @pamojja pointed out, we're all so wildly different here, there's no sayig what will work for you, based on what's worked for me or pamojja or anyone else.

I've heard good things about Kirkland brands (Costco) as suggested by @HowToEscape? but have never tried their supplements so can't say for sure.

Swanson is another solid company with a good rep, but their shipping is effing glacial, usually even if you order their product thru Amazon.

Life Extension is excellent, and they often have sales, bringing down the often not inconsequential cost of many of their very good supps.

Will keep adding to this as more reliable manufacturers and companies come to mind.

Don't give up, yes?

Last edited:

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
Country Life Co-Enzyme B-Complex

That's a good complex... that I can't take. I was happy to find it as a powder so that I could adjust the dose (due to the high niacin content) but then found that it just wipes out my energy for several hours. I think it's due to the ALA affecting my blood sugar since I get the same effect from a pure ALA supplement. I'm mentioning it here as a warning for others who are considering it but are sensitive to ALA.

I just don't tolerate any B-Complex right now

This Swanson Real Food B Complex is the only one I tolerate. Unfortunately it's expensive but that's common for 'real food' sourced vitamins.

Will keep adding to this as more reliable manufacturers and companies come to mind.

I used to use iHerb until their prices went up and shipping to Canada became so much slower and more expensive.

For the past 5 years or so I've used Vitacost most and occasionally Swanson. Both have regular great deals like 12-20% off everything, BOGO deals, and very reasonable shipping prices to Canada that includes collection of taxes so the order doesn't get stuck at the border. Vitacost even usually offers free shipping to Canada for orders over $100 and under 12-15 pounds.

Both have very good customer service and damage claim service. Vitacost packs items better but uses more packing material, which is easily worth it so I don't get my order covered in molasses or apple cider vinegar like has happened a couple of times with Swanson orders and their poor packaging of glass items.

I also sometimes use Vitasave, a Canadian company with reasonable shipping prices.

Cheryl M

Thanks, everyone, for explaining to me that buying melatonin on EBay was a terrible idea. Unfortunately I forgot to mention (obviously) that I have progressive memory loss and I find it hard to tell good advice from bad. I was advised to buy my own melatonin if the doctor wouldn't help me with sleep problems. Evidently that was really stupid and I will be more careful in future.

Pearshaped

@Cheryl M
I took once a melatonin which made me tachy too.then changed to a sublingual melatonin from another brand (purchased at iherb) and everything was fine.
Some melatonin formulas contain a form of B6 which is not alsways well tolerated.
So yes,Quality seems to vary widely

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
There are some high quality supplement companies in the US, confirmed by 3th party lab testing. Though I too would never buy from shoddy sellers on amazon or ebay.
I suggest to buy supplements from places others can recommend such as iherb. I would never buy a supplement from a random company through ebay.
Thanks, everyone, for explaining to me that buying melatonin on EBay was a terrible idea.

I've bought supplements that are well-known brands from sellers who have good feedback many times on eBay. There is no assurance the supplements have been stored at proper temperature. Expiration dates are usually posted or are visible in the images.

These are some of the supplements I've purchased on eBay in the last two years:

Swanson Sublingual Dhea 25 mg
Swanson High Plains Collagen Hydrolysate 16 oz
Swanson Maquibright 60 mg 30 Veg Caps

Swanson Triple Magnesium Complex 400 mg 300 Caps
(seller: Swanson Vitamins, not a reseller)

400 Kirkland MUCUS RELIEF CHEST Tablets EXPECTORANT Guaifenesin 400mg Mucinex
(reseller with 138,000+ sales and 97.2% positive feedback <----I prefer 98% or better;
bought twice again from different resellers)

Standard Process CAL-AMO
(reseller with low number of sales)

Life Extension Enhanced Super Digestive Enzymes 2-pack
(reseller with 3,000+ sales and 97.2% positive feedback)

Standard Process 8025 Thytrophin PMG 90 Tablets Whole Food Supplement (reseller)

Qunol Liquid CoQ10 (reseller with low number of sales)

Polysaccharide Iron Complex 150mg Iron Supplement
(seller name: wvpharmacy with 23,000+ sales and 99.7% positive feedback)

Rugby Stool Softener Docusate Sodium 250mg Soft Gels
(seller: Pharmapacks, 828,000+ sales with 99.5% positive feedback, has their own online store)

Ubiquinol CoQ-10 By The Vitamin Shoppe 200 mg
(reseller with low number of sales; again from different reseller 5,000+ sales and 99.7% positive feedback)

Trace Minerals, Mega-Mag 400mg Liquid Magnesium with Trace Minerals, 4 fl oz
(twice from reseller with 10,000+ sales and 99.9% positive feedback)

Enzymedica MucoStop For Relief of Sinus Congestion and Excess Mucus
(
reseller with 2,700+ sales and 100% positive feedback)

Life Extension Two-Per-Day Capsules 120 Capsules
(
reseller with 9,600+ sales and 99.7% positive feedback)

Nutricost Pure D-Ribose Powder 500G
(reseller with 135,000+ sales and 99.3% positive feedback)

Farmers Market (Sprouts) Chromium Picolinate 200 mcg
(
reseller with 500+ sales and 100% positive feedback)

Nature Restore Organic Pomegranate Extract Powder
(reseller with 64,500+ sales and 99.1% positive feedback)

Gaia Herbs Adrenal Health Nightly Restore
(reseller with 1,000+ sales and 99.8% positive feedback)

Best Naturals Pomegranate Extract 250 mg
Best Naturals 100% Pure D-Ribose Powder 1 Lb
Best Naturals Chromium Picolinate 200 mcg
(reseller with 17,000+ sales and 99.3% positive feedback)

Acetyl L-Carnitine
(reseller with 71,000+ sales and 99.9% positive feedback)

Simethicone 180 mg
(reseller with 2,300+ sales and 99.5% positive feedback)

SOLGAR Full Spectrum Curcumin
(
reseller with 53,000+ sales and 99.8% positive feedback)

Vital Nutrients BCQ 240 Caps
(
reseller with 900+ sales and 98% positive feedback)

Davinci Labs - Liposomal DHEA Spray 5 mg. - 1 oz
(
reseller with 7,600+ sales and 99.8% positive feedback)

I bought these on eBay to save a few bucks. When I'm interested in a supplement I first look on Amazon because they usually have the lowest price, then I look on eBay. With eBay you don't have to have a minimum purchase total (which Amazon does if you don't have Amazon Prime) and sometimes I do find lower prices there. I also have Invisible Hand attached to my browser that looks for the lowest price available on the Internet. http://www.getinvisiblehand.com/

If I see an unfamiliar brand or product on eBay sometimes I can find feedback about it on Amazon.

Learner1

A few thoughts here:
  • Even though drugs are supposedly FDA approved, there is little oversight of drugs made overseas in factories in countries like India or China, described here: https://www.npr.org/sections/health...xposes-the-dark-side-of-the-generic-drug-boom
  • Having learned that most commonly sold magnesium is contaminated with arsenic (mostly naturally occurring), I only deal with manufacturers who are choosy anout their ingredients. For example, I know someone who has been through the Thorne Research plant, and they test every batch of ingredients coming on and regularly reject those that don't meet standard for purity or potency. Seeking Health and Designs for Health are 2 other high quality brands.
  • Buying bulk powders over the internet is a scary proposition. I'd lovr for someone to tell.me how they ascertain purity or potency of some anonymous looking white powder.
  • Just because something is a supplement doesn't mean it's not useful for a medical condition or having the potential for adverse effects which could include anything from liver damage to addiction. As in allergic to FDA-approved versions of pyridostigmine and pharmaceutical company game playing has made compound powder unavailable, I've had to take Huperzine A, which is almost as effective, thankfully. Phenibut is an example of a supplement (recently yanked from the market by the FDA) used for sleep that can be addictive. And, the weight loss, hormone support, and bodybuilding areas of the supplement market are rife with bad actors selling dubious wares.
I would not have made the progress I've made without high dose, high quality supplements. But, it is wise to question anything you put into your body.

And, it is very rude for someone from the UK to slam an entire American industry and titling a thread which does so @Cheryl M. Might you be able to change it to something less offensive as the content so far does not seem to warrant the accusation?

pamojja

• Buying bulk powders over the internet is a scary proposition. I'd lovr for someone to tell.me how they ascertain purity or potency of some anonymous looking white powder.

In my case supplements been so expensive in relationship to my little income from part-time work, I had no other choice than also get what I need in bulk as powders. I did ascertain to a certain extent its purity by having yearly HTMAs. And its efficacy has proven to me through the remission from a walking-disabilty considered non-reversible by conventional medicine.

And, it is very rude for someone from the UK to slam an entire American industry

Don't think this has been the intent behind titling it 'American supplements may contain nothing.' And it is only with intent behind, that it could be taken as offensive (in my humble opinion). Instead it showed it came from a place of ignorance. Which helping together we got rid off. :)

Similiar to your low opinion about cheap supplements. Where I'm also aware you're not bashing anyone living cheap, like me.

Last edited:

Learner1

@pamojja I always appreciate your comments;) and definitely am not bashing living cheap. This disease is difficult and strains financial stability and resources and i have the utmost respect for the challenging investments people make to gain improvement.

My only concern, having spent 8 years removing arsenic, cadmium, lead, mercury, and platinum from my system and learning that independent labs found arsenic in most commonly marketed magnesium supplements and heavy metals in organic vegan protein powders, is that people are aware that due diligence in selecting products is needed.

I'd like to learn more about what you look for in choosing supplements, as I tend to take the easy way of letting companies I trust do the vetting. But, obviously this limits me to their product lines...if one wanted to look farther, how do you know whats safe?

Thank you!

YippeeKi YOW !!

@CFS_for_19_years
I also have Invisible Hand attached to my browser that looks for the lowest price available on the Internet. http://www.getinvisiblehand.com/
Thank you soooo much for posting getinvisiblehand link here. Because of the algorhythmic hoo-haa that all sites now use, most of the sites that I'd found to be cheaper than Amazon adjust their prices to within 0.05 cents of Amazon's, sneering at buyers from behind their "eff y'all" keyboards.

So it's great to have something to help in the endless search for more affordable prices.

Much appreciated :thumbsup::thumbsup: :hug:.

pamojja

I appreciate.

I'd like to learn more about what you look for in choosing supplements, as I tend to take the easy way of letting companies I trust do the vetting. But, obviously this limits me to their product lines...if one wanted to look farther, how do you know whats safe?

Of course, I wish I could have taken that precaution too. Just could never affort. You're really fortunate being in the position to. Because in your case with so many past exposures it seems really to have been essential having avoided any further pollution wherever possible, and moreover to get tid of the old.

In my case I always preceeded very cautiously by starting with every supplement at low dose, and increased gradually over years, while monitoring with HTMAs. Which of course do have the shortcoming, that it couldn't show toxins accumulated already in tissues, though those concurently taken (by supplements or food for the last 2-3 month) would likely show. Along with the improvement in all other lab-markers and my conditions over the years, I'm pretty sure there hasn't been any major offendors.

Also consider foods more dangerous for toxins because of the sheer amounts taken each day. I try to get at least the dirty dozen (fruits and vegetables) and all animal foods organic. Same with supplements, those affortable through special sales from trustworthy companies, more expensive ones in bulk. Despite having taken the enourmous amount of about 6.1 kg of elemental Mg during the last 10 years, still much more of contaminated food during about 1 year vacations in South-India in that time-period (definetely polluted, because batteries are still dropped everywhere, also in vegetable fields..) - I still seem to be doing fine that admittetly somehow dangerous way.

So while you're lucky with your abilty to afford, in my case I'm too because past heavy metal exposures doesn't seem an issue for me at all, and/or have sufficient detox capabilties to handle the load. Found out by the means available to me.

We both seem to have been blessed with abilties in total different ways to handle what we are confronted with.

YippeeKi YOW !!

@pamojja, @Learner1
Don't think this has been the intent behind titling it 'American supplements may contain nothing.' And it is only with intent behind, that it could be taken as offensive (in my humble opinion). Instead it showed it came from a place of ignorance. Which helping together we got rid off. :)
I agree, but whether thru lack of knowledge or evil intent makes no never mind, since the implication of the title, that American supplements are useless rip-offs, still remains, particularly for those who don't bother to open the thread and read the comments here.

It might be a good idea to pose it as a question, rather than a statement of fact.

No criticism intended @Cheryl M, I know that there was no malign intent in the titling of your thread.

Carl

You can definitely buy milk thistle in the UK.
You can buy it but it is not permitted by the THMPD to sell it now. Capsules tend to be overlooked but even those should not be sold. I started purchasing the MT powder extract from Blackburn dist. and when I attempted to purchase another batch they told me that they could no longer sell it inside the EU, only export it outside the EU. They no longer have MT on their site. There are still places selling it but I will not post it on a forum because it could lead to them having to stop selling it.

eBay has very few people still selling the powder extract inside the UK and the remaining few are very expensive. I purchased 1Kg(500g & 2x250g) some months back and it was the last that they had, they were selling it off. I do have my fallback place if I still need it. They stopped selling it on eBay. There are some Indian sellers and one from Poland (EU member) but the Polish seller should not be selling it. Most probably claim ignorance.

or bulk powder providers (https://www.bulkpowders.com, https://www.myprotein.com/, http://www.blackburndistributions.com). Sadly the later probably wont be accessible after the Brexit anymore, since they all are located in the UK.

And only order from the US what's not available and made it through customs already many times through the years.

That's what it seems you're left with after leaving the EU. Local governments protecting local industries, with no way to repeal due to other reasonable EU high-court rulings. Though GB seems to be very lax in implementing anything, I still do get Milk Thistle extract bulk powder from there.
The THMPD is all the work of the EU and so is their overriding of UK government laws. The THMPD was passed in the house of commons with no fuss because they had no option but to implement it.

On of the problems with the EU is it is unduly influenced by drug companies who profit by sick people and create/promote illness. That is what centralized power does, it draws to it influence. I am against such organizations because it too often undermines the health of it's citizens, claiming that the laws passed are for the public good, when they are not.

I've bought supplements that are well-known brands from sellers who have good feedback many times on eBay. There is no assurance the supplements have been stored at proper temperature. Expiration dates are usually posted or are visible in the images.

These are some of the supplements I've purchased on eBay in the last two years:

Life Extension Two-Per-Day Capsules 120 Capsules
(
reseller with 9,600+ sales and 99.7% positive feedback)
I have been using these for years, they are fairly good but do not provide enough nutrients.

A few thoughts here:
  • Even though drugs are supposedly FDA approved, there is little oversight of drugs made overseas in factories in countries like India or China, described here: https://www.npr.org/sections/health...xposes-the-dark-side-of-the-generic-drug-boom
  • Having learned that most commonly sold magnesium is contaminated with arsenic (mostly naturally occurring), I only deal with manufacturers who are choosy anout their ingredients. For example, I know someone who has been through the Thorne Research plant, and they test every batch of ingredients coming on and regularly reject those that don't meet standard for purity or potency. Seeking Health and Designs for Health are 2 other high quality brands.
  • Just because something is a supplement doesn't mean it's not useful for a medical condition or having the potential for adverse effects which could include anything from liver damage to addiction. As in allergic to FDA-approved versions of pyridostigmine and pharmaceutical company game playing has made compound powder unavailable, I've had to take Huperzine A, which is almost as effective, thankfully. Phenibut is an example of a supplement (recently yanked from the market by the FDA) used for sleep that can be addictive. And, the weight loss, hormone support, and bodybuilding areas of the supplement market are rife with bad actors selling dubious wares.
I would not have made the progress I've made without high dose, high quality supplements. But, it is wise to question anything you put into your body..
Do you do the same for the food that you eat? Do you get that analyzed? Food is laced with toxins.
Have you considered what unwanted constituents might be present?

@pamojja I always appreciate your comments;) and definitely am not bashing living cheap. This disease is difficult and strains financial stability and resources and i have the utmost respect for the challenging investments people make to gain improvement.

My only concern, having spent 8 years removing arsenic, cadmium, lead, mercury, and platinum from my system and learning that independent labs found arsenic in most commonly marketed magnesium supplements and heavy metals in organic vegan protein powders, is that people are aware that due diligence in selecting products is needed.

Thank you!
What about your water supply? Any fluoride or chlorine/chloramine? Lead etc etc?

@CFS_for_19_years

Thank you soooo much for posting getinvisiblehand link here. Because of the algorhythmic hoo-haa that all sites now use, most of the sites that I'd found to be cheaper than Amazon adjust their prices to within 0.05 cents of Amazon's, sneering at buyers from behind their "eff y'all" keyboards.

So it's great to have something to help in the endless search for more affordable prices.

Much appreciated :thumbsup::thumbsup: :hug:.
That does not work for me in the UK. It has not worked for over 8 years. I still have a review on the extension which is 8 years old and they have not fixed it. I did set the location to the UK in the options but it does very little, only the searches show results......in $.

pamojja

Despite having taken the enourmous amount of about 6.1 kg of elemental Mg during the last 10 years, still much more of contaminated food...
What about your water supply?

Duh :headslap:, thought 6 kg of arsenic contaminated magnesium really a lot, but just thinking about it: consumed an amazing 11 tones of water the last 10 years! Therefore the water consumed better have 67100 times less arsenic, for not doubling it's intake again.

On of the problems with the EU is it is unduly influenced by drug companies who profit by sick people and create/promote illness.
, that American supplements are useless rip-offs,

Its just, Austrians are so much worse in both respects. They are overtaken by the drug industries, and Austrian supplements are real rip-offs. And I'm sure there are bad example in every country of this world. I take pride from conscience, not borders.

Last edited:

YippeeKi YOW !!

@Carl
On of the problems with the EU is it is unduly influenced by drug companies who profit by sick people and create/promote illness.
That's not just a problem in the EU. It's endemic in the US as well. The profit motive that comes from converting a medical service into a huge corporate profits machine is deadly. At least to consumers. Seems to work really well for the medico-pharma industry though, so not much hope of changing it anytime soon.