• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Alternatives to Arginine to raise Nitric Oxide

I'm curious whether GPLC would lower blood pressure if it's already low-to-average. What was your experience?

Different for me, my BP is usually above average and it does "feel" like GPLC brings it down (not like I measured but you figure out from effects). I assumed increased NO has that effect in general.

I don't know if increasing NO is dangerous if you have hypotension. Maybe someone else knows... I would be wary. I took high BP as one possible symptom among others of low NO.

Minor complication, I forgot to say the brand of GPLC I take now is the Now brand that has a little coq10 in it as well. It definitely does work though and despite resistant depression it's one of the few things that has a perceivable effect at the moment.

liverock

@drob31 you've made it so simple! My body experience concurs with this, I just haven't found, in some hours of searching on pr and elsewhere, this relationship. I've even got a page about nitrogen metabolism in my many tabs waiting for me to review. But this makes sense...ammonia is NH3 (or4?) I think,...well, I'm trash at chemistry... I just know that when I started implementing Martin Pall's suggestions for reducing peroxynitrite I started feeling better. And the symptoms were those that I'd been labelling ammonia prior to this, and reducing by using initially arginine, ornithine, citrulline, lysine, but now reducing that to just malic acid.

http://themedicalbiochemistrypage.org/nitrogen-metabolism.php#regulation

@ahmo

Sauna treatment is the best way to get rid of ammonia.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1845745

I was an early member of Professor Pall's 10th Paradigm Society Yahoo site, but got the red card from the moderator, for saying sweating out the ammonia would save BH4 being used up in the UREA cycle, which is the normal way ammonia is excreted.( which is true according to Yasko).
This seemed to clash with Professor Pall's theory about saunas don,t sweat out toxins and heavy metals, they only increase BH4. I can understand why of course, it would 'muddy the waters' of his theory that saunas only help by reducing peroxynitrite through increasing BH4.

The 'Elephant in the room' in all the protocols such as Martin Pall's and RichVanK's IMO, is they are purely laboratory models and dont take into account the need to get rid of heavy metals and treat gut problems before starting any of their treatments.

Last edited:

ahmo

@liverock maybe you left a lasting influence:):thumbsup:: sauna is now on his list of treatments. This url should take you to the place he's talking about it, at 2'06":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-...lpage&x-yt-ts=1422327029&v=6A7r1gemjto#t=7586

The 'Elephant in the room' in all the protocols such as Martin Pall's and RichVanK's IMO,is they are purely laboratory models and dont take into account the need to get rid of heavy metals and treat gut problems before starting any of their treatments.
I totally support your position. I've spent the past year working on detoxxing metals, and that seems to have led to many overall improvements. Gut is where I first beghan healing.I don't know whether this has to be first or concurrently, since for me, I've only been able to comprehend and take advantage of the NO/ONOO additions quite recently, although I tried several times through the years. In my past I :heart:saunas. Now I wouldn't want the heat, and don't have access. I

liverock

@ahmo
@liverock maybe you left a lasting influence:):thumbsup:: sauna is now on his list of treatments.

So is Resveratrol,which he asked me about and I recommended he get in touch with Bill Sardi who manufactures Longevinex, a special form of resveratrol which is quite expensive but Sardi reckons is a lot more effective.

Bill Sardi is a very knowledgeable health researcher on genetics and natural heath matters, if you google him be careful not to try and copy and post any of his material. He started out making all his research material for free online, but people were copying it and selling it as ebooks which annoyed him, so now anybody copying his material on other websites will get him complaining to the moderators.

http://www.resveratrolnews.com/long...oduced-in-recent-animal-laboratory-study/862/

http://www.resveratrolnews.com/not-got-klotho-get-some-vitamin-d-resveratrol/1157/#more-1157

http://www.resveratrolnews.com/history-of-nicotinamide-and-aging/868/#more-868

kel88

Aha! I've been suspecting that AdoB12 was doing a lot for my mood, and reducing inflammation. Something has been helping with both, and it's something I wasn't taking when I first tried MeB12 on its own. That was before I stumbled upon Freddd's protocol.
I've got three homozygous NOS2 snps and having lots of trouble with ammonia & sulfur:
NOS2 rs2274894 TT = +/+
NOS2 rs2248814 AA = +/+
NOS2 rs3729508 TT = +/+​

@picante
Ive got :

1. GT
2. AG
3. CT

What are the normal allele"s?
Does this show im hetro or nothing on NOS mutations? Do you know that?

Thanks, kel88

picante

Hi Kel,
What are the normal allele"s?
Does this show im hetro or nothing on NOS mutations? Do you know that?

My program just gives me the risk alleles. So presumably, the ones you have that I don't are the "normal" ones. Looks like you're heterozygous.

kel88

Hi picante,

I think so to... I dont think normal but i think hetrozygous as youre saying.
Kan i than take some arginine do you think?

picante

I don't know, Kel. I always wonder the same thing about any supplement ... I try them and see what they do. If you're sensitive to lots of things, try small doses. If you get some wild, unexpected symptom from it, come back to PR and ask what might be causing it.
That's the picante approach, anyway. :)

Rand56

After reading Ray Peat's ideas (some of which are just crazy though) I got very interested in this hypothesis. Would love to read your version of it :thumbsup:

Hi Gond

I second that on wanting to hear nan's views on this. These Peatatarians are all into trying to limit serotonin production. Basically an evil twin sister to estrogen. Gelatin is a big staple in the diet because it has no tryptophan. Also trying to clear LPS/endotoxin with the raw carrot salad.

I got interested in reading more about Peat's views because of my own situation. I believe atleast part of my depression stems from excess serotonin. Also me being male and 58, and despite me working out quite regularly, my estrogen is a tad on the high side, atleast the last time I had bloodwork done.

alex3619

@alex3619 how much were you taking?

Has the benefit continued?
I don't know about dose. This was most of twenty years ago. I think it was four capsules but I could be wrong, and don't recall the amount per capsule.

Genuine pycnogenol became hard to get. Grape seed extract does not work for me. Bark extract does not work for me. The original was extracted from red grape skin, and that particular source might have had other substances involved, including resveratrol.