• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Allithiamine vs Sulbutiamine... Any practical difference?

From what I understand allithiamine and sulbutiamine are both TTFD forms of thiamine and very similar. That being said the generally recommended dosing strategies are different for both of them and for better or worse I can't seen to find any studies or discussions as to why one would be preferred over another, outside of allithiamine causing a body odor (which I don't understand because I was under the impression is was designed to avoid that issue).

Anyone have any insight on the subject?

FWIW... I am familiar w/ Lipothiamine, but considering its just an enteric coated version of allithiamine w/ lipoic acid, I consider it effectively the same as allithiamine for the purpose of this discussion.

YippeeKi YOW !!

outside of allithiamine causing a body odor
Am unfamiliar with both of them, and with Lipothiamine, but the odor cause by most B Vits isn't as unpleasamt as, say, the fishy smell produced by too much choline. In fact, some people use thiamine as a bug repellant.

And I challenge anyone to come up with a more useless comment to your post.

Sorry. Can't sleep, and am trying to evade the anxiety caused by the ....uh ....interesting times we're living in by keeping the Monkey Demons occupied.

Busson

@Bluelude1 At the moment I'm taking benfotiamine with good results and would like to try one of the TTFD forms of thiamine you mention (allithiamine or sulbutiamine).

I dont have any useful theoretical knowledge to share about thiamine but would be interested to know if you have found an affordable supplier in the UK. Please advise. Thank you.

ChrisD

Allithiamine makes me feel really sick, it's like it takes the harshest part of the taste of garlic (i.e. Not the sweetness) and also the feeling of being sick when you're hungover from alcohol.

Learner1

After reading all the hype, I tried TTFD which gave me neuropathy in my hands and feet within 3 weeks.

By contrast, I have successfully taken 750mg benfotiamine for 4 years without a problem. It does cross the BBB contrary to what some sources say.

Learner1

interesting...i got neuropathy within 30 minutes of my first dose of benfo. but i do great on TTFD.
Very odd.

"Benfotiamine: Vitamin B1
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/B978032335868200013X

Benfotiamine, also known as S-benzoylthiamine-O-monophosphate, is a lipid-soluble derivative of vitamin B1 (thiamine) and is absorbed up to 3.6 times more than water-soluble forms. Vitamin B1 is associated with a 120-fold greater increase in the levels of metabolically active thiamine diphosphate. Its lipid solubility allows it to penetrate the nerves more readily. It has been found to provide a higher bioavailability of thiamine than its water-soluble counterparts.292-294 Benfotiamine reduces advanced glycation end-products (AGE) by 40%, which has been shown to prevent macro- and microvascular endothelial dysfunction in individuals with type 2 diabetes.295-300

Studies have shown that benfotiamine improves neuropathy scores significantly,301,302 increases nerve conduction velocity,303-305 and reduces HbA1c and pain.306 On the Russian market, it is one of the most studied drugs for neuropathic pain.306 In addition, it lowers inflammation and may be useful for ameliorating the analgesic effect of mu-opioid agonists on neuropathic pain.307-309 In a randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind pilot study and phase III clinical study, investigators demonstrated a pronounced effect on the decrease in pain310,311 in conjunction with the previously described benefits. Benfotiamine may also be beneficial in preventing diabetic nephropathy312 and retinopathy.313 Therapeutic benefits can be seen as early as 3 weeks, with the most significant improvements occurring in patients taking the highest-dose of benfotiamine, that is, 600 mg/day at 6 weeks.310,311,314"