• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Alcohol Tolerance Poll

The Alcohol Tolerance Poll

• My tolerance of alcohol shifted after I got ME/CFS

Votes: 195 45.5%
  • My tolerance of alcohol did not shift after I got ME/CFS

Votes: 41 9.6%
  • After ME/CFS I don't do well with even small amounts of alcohol

Votes: 267 62.2%
  • After ME/CFS I do OK with small amounts of alcohol but can't tolerate moderate to large amounts

Votes: 71 16.6%
  • LOL I can actually drink more alcohol now without it effecting me!

Votes: 21 4.9%

• Total voters

Dmitri

Tried a tiny amount of wine diluted in water. Felt flushed right away and old mosquito bites began to reemerge. That was my drink for the decade.

Moof

I think my alcohol intolerance is more due to the histamine content and my twitchy mast cells, as I've had it since I was a very small child (I didn't develop ME until I was 17). If my Dad gave me a medicinal sip of brandy, or I was dared by my cousin to sneak a swig of our Nan's sherry, I'd flush burning scarlet from the shoulders upwards, and quickly begin to feel nauseous and headachey. I'm nearly 60 now, and I still do! I've never in my life managed to drink enough to get a hangover.