• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Advice re talking?

Tella

hi can someone help me how not to crash after even little talking? well I can talk much more now (used to be a few words) and I believe gradual exposure helps. but it's still a massive energy expenditure for me, and while talking I can sometimes go into a mini crash and I will push through it but not feel well afterwards. you know, you start feeling weak and like there's something in your throat, limbs go limp....it's bizarre really. but I have to speak to someone now for a few hours twice a week while sitting up etc so have to do all I can to avoid crashes and to get used to this new schedule! thanks a lot

Wishful

hi can someone help me how not to crash after even little talking?

Look for alternatives to talking? If it's just the vocalization, then a text-to-speech device would work. If it's the cognitive effort of forming thoughts and words, then that probably wouldn't help.

Maybe a t-shirt or sign saying "Talking totally wrecks me, so I'm not talking".

Maybe there is a treatment that would allow you to talk without crashing, the way cumin blocked my PEM, but finding it would be a matter of stumbling across it by accident. Since we don't know what causes such ME symptoms, we can't even figure out what things we should try first.

Tella

Look for alternatives to talking? If it's just the vocalization, then a text-to-speech device would work. If it's the cognitive effort of forming thoughts and words, then that probably wouldn't help.

Maybe a t-shirt or sign saying "Talking totally wrecks me, so I'm not talking".

Maybe there is a treatment that would allow you to talk without crashing, the way cumin blocked my PEM, but finding it would be a matter of stumbling across it by accident. Since we don't know what causes such ME symptoms, we can't even figure out what things we should try first.
Thanks! I have no choice but to talk sadly.
how much and what type of cumin do you take? Did it remove PEM? :)

Wishful

how much and what type of cumin do you take? Did it remove PEM?

Ordinary cumin (cumin cyminum): the spice used in curries (and other foods). The thread about it is below. A level tsp blocked my PEM for 3 days each time, and eventually I no longer needed the cumin and no longer get PEM. It was a totally amazing treatment for me, but only a few other people have reported it working for them. Still, it's cheap and safe, and maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones that it works for.

https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/cumin-cuminum-cyminum-possible-pem-blocker.56232/