• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Adverse effects of Cannabis.

IThinkImTurningJapanese

Not a big fan because of the very unpleasant physical effects for some people. I also am not a fan of legalization at this time because of it's...umm....sedating....factor on young adults. In the US right now we need our young people to be more ambitious, more thinking, rather than less.

Perhaps we shouldn't try to control others choices?

Booble

Perhaps we shouldn't try to control others choices?

We live in a society together and as part of that we have put in place leaders and committees (government and agencies) to help keep each other safe. Products are approved by appropriate agencies and those taking them shouldn't be in a "caveat emptor" situation in a first world country.

>>>If it's being used as a medicine, then like other medicines, it should subjected to clinical trials for each condition it is used to treat.<<<

Exactly. If it was solely about medical use then it would be tested and dispensed like every other drug.

These dispensaries have been selling pot to non-sick people for decades.

Abrin

We live in a society together and as part of that we have put in place leaders and committees (government and agencies) to help keep each other safe. Products are approved by appropriate agencies and those taking them shouldn't be in a "caveat emptor" situation in a first world country.

And yet Cannabis has been legalized in Canada for the last three years and the world hasn't ended.

Booble

And yet Cannabis has been legalized in Canada for the last three years and the world hasn't ended.

I've stated my opinion that young Americans need less sedation not more right now. You clearly enjoy marijuana and think otherwise.

Abrin

I've stated my opinion that young Americans need less sedation not more right now. You clearly enjoy marijuana and think otherwise.

I am highly amused that you think my position is purely based on my personal enjoyment of cannabis.

The truth is that I actually don't enjoy it much at all.

I have had some luck with CBD but then that is a whole other kettle of fish since that is already legalized in America from what I understand.

Booble

I'm always up for a good healthy, political debate but this probably isn't the best place for it!

Abrin

I'm always up for a good healthy, political debate but this probably isn't the best place for it!

I wasn't aware we were having a political debate. I thought we were just talking about the safety of cannabis and how that relates to the legalization of it in my country.

Abrin

It's legal in some US states.

'Despite these changes in state policy and the increasing prevalence of cannabis use and its implications for population health, the federal government has not legalized cannabis and continues to enforce restrictive policies and regulations on research into the health harms or benefits of cannabis products that are available to consumers in a majority of states. As a result, research on the health effects of cannabis and cannabinoids has been limited in the United States, leaving patients, health care professionals, and policy makers without the evidence they need to make sound decisions regarding the use of cannabis and cannabinoids. This lack of evidence-based information on the health effects of cannabis and cannabinoids poses a public health risk. '

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK425757/

andyguitar

the federal government has not legalized cannabis
That's interesting @Abrin because in California and other states you can get whats called a "Medical Marijuana Card". Although I dont know the ins and out of the legal system in the US it seems that States are free to legalise without reference to the Federal Gov. Anyone know the answer to this?

Abrin

That's interesting @Abrin because in California and other states you can get whats called a "Medical Marijuana Card". Although I dont know the ins and out of the legal system in the US it seems that States are free to legalise without reference to the Federal Gov. Anyone know the answer to this?

Just to clarify, we are both talking about how the fact cannabis is federally illegal in America this makes it hard for scientist to get the permission needed so they can do clinical studies, right?

Abrin

I feel that it might be best to clarify my position at this point:

1. I am not arguing that all people should smoke cannabis. I have no desire to dictate personal choice.
2. I am not arguing whether or not America should legalize cannabis. I have no desire to dictate what another country should or should not do.
3. I pointed out in a tongue-in-check way that it is good to look to Canada when it comes to health implications because it has been legal here for three years.
4. I am not saying that there couldn't be long-term health complications when it comes to smoking cannabis, only that there hasn't been any 'gotchas' for Canada in the last three years.
5. My only point is that when it comes to short-term health problems that it is valid to look at what is currently going on in Canada since this was a thread on the adverse effects of cannabis

Rufous McKinney

How do you do that when it is illegal?

in the US, it still federally a controlled substance...and so actually studying it is extremely difficult.

Why do plants exist on earth and seem to contain substances which help humans? And animals?

Wake me up from my Grave, when the FDA tells me that something is allowed, or safe.

I"m not handing my health over to a Government Agency.

Rufous McKinney

Although I dont know the ins and out of the legal system in the US it seems that States are free to legalise without reference to the Federal Gov. Anyone know the answer to this?

The feds can still go after everyone and sometimes do. THe main thing they go after Big Time is the money.

so all Cannabis businesses operate with cash, are unable to use banks. THere have been discussions of starting a state bank enabling them to use banks.

andyguitar

Just to clarify, we are both talking about how the fact cannabis is federally illegal in America this makes it hard foral position is scientist to get the permission needed so they can do clinical studies, right?
Bit hard to work out what the legal position is. But anyway here's some info on cannabis and cognition. Many pages but page 15 cuts to the chase.

Attachments

• nihms266295.pdf
    300.4 KB · Views: 7

Abrin

Bit hard to work out what the legal position is. But anyway here's some info on cannabis and cognition. Many pages but page 15 cuts to the chase.

"However, evidence exists of significant harm for some individuals "

I never argued that there couldn't be *some* harm to *some* individuals.

There is a reason why those under the age of 19 are not allowed to buy cannabis in Canada.

I understand your position but this doesn't change the fact that the choice to legalize wasn't taken lightly in my country. They looked at the current research on cannabis before making the decision to legalize and decided that it wasn't compelling enough to not legalize.

We seem be going around and around with this.