• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Adverse effects of Cannabis.

andyguitar

Full paper is behind paywall. Here's a bit to consider.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-04-09 Cerebrovascular Complications Associated with Marijuana Use - PubMed.png
    Screenshot_2021-04-09 Cerebrovascular Complications Associated with Marijuana Use - PubMed.png
    198.8 KB · Views: 35

Rufous McKinney

Here's a bit to consider.

Everything can have adverse effects at some scale, somewhere or another. Its foolish to view things as: harmless, without fully evaluating the pros and cons of this and that.

Meanwhile water isn't harmless.

Since THC and CBD have medicinal qualities: this means they have effects on the body. So- wake up, grow up and be responsible about decisions regarding the body, and keeping it going.

So this should be part of education in the dept of health.

Rufous McKinney

Full paper is behind paywal

there seem to be any number of papers published via this site which cannot really be read or the authors identified. (without going forth and investigating it all elsewhere)

These sound like alot of anecdotal type observations, and where are these researchers?

I understand pay walls, but it really limits the value of this info.

Rufous McKinney

Too much money is at stake like the tobacco and alcohol industry.

I think people need to be well informed, and weigh the varied pros and cons of - well most things come with pros and cons. Obviously most 14 year olds aren't in a position to do such weighing.

I know that I get extreme nausea. and that the only medication they seem to have causes debilitating effects on the intestines. Hence: I cannot use the pharmaceutical. It is causing dangerous issues in my body.

So my doctor and I have conferred and these are choices we make.

Sledgehammer

I think people need to be well informed, and weigh the varied pros and cons of - well most things come with pros and cons. Obviously most 14 year olds aren't in a position to do such weighing.

I know that I get extreme nausea. and that the only medication they seem to have causes debilitating effects on the intestines. Hence: I cannot use the pharmaceutical. It is causing dangerous issues in my body.

So my doctor and I have conferred and these are choices we make.

I agree but I can't see people taking a blind bit of notice. It's the same with booze and tobacco warnings.
People know the dangers.

Me, I tried the CBD oil and it did nothing. No relief whatsoever, so that's me off and hemp related remedies for good.

Last edited by a moderator:

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
Everything can have adverse effects at some scale, somewhere or another. Its foolish to view things as: harmless, without fully evaluating the pros and cons of this and that.
Can´t agree more.

Marijuana was actually forbidden, if I am not wrong, b/c the alcohol industry had their influence on politics. This was in the US. Europe then simply copied it.

So this was done without good reasoning. It would be better to make weed freely available, ppl could switch and maybe less harm would occur. (Also I am a free man, and if I wanted to drink a beer, I can´t see why I should be forbidden it.)

andyguitar

I agree but I can't see people taking a blind bit of notice. It's the same with booze and tobacco warnings.
People know the dangers.
Yeah with booze and tobacco most are aware of what can happen. But I doubt that many know about the possible harm cannabis can do to the circulatory system. Having read up on some recent research it looks pretty risky for anyone with circulatory disorders.

andyguitar

Here's a chart which is pretty alarming.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-04-10 Cardiovascular Complications of Marijuana and Related Substances A Review.png
    Screenshot_2021-04-10 Cardiovascular Complications of Marijuana and Related Substances A Review.png
    315.4 KB · Views: 16

Rufous McKinney

Full paper is behind paywall

Do any of these studies actually identify any actual numbers here?

Its hard for me to read alot of papers, but I'll try.

What is the potential for these adverse "side effects" if we want to call them that? Things that were availalbe for me to read lack any actual specific data and sound very "preliminary", speculative, "modest"...?

andyguitar

Do any of these studies actually identify any actual numbers here?
The only way you could get reliable numbers for adverse reactions would be to do a clinical trial that looked for the rate of adverse reactions of cannabis. I doubt that it would be legal to give someone a potentially harmful substance to see what happens. But I've seen enough now to convince me it's bad stuff. Never used it myself anyway.

Rufous McKinney

I doubt that it would be legal to give someone a potentially harmful substance to see what happens. But I've seen enough now to convince me it's bad stuff. Never used it myself anyway.

thats not entirely different from suspending Astro Zeneca due to 30 blood clots.

But it does not sound right for you. So thats what you need to determine for yourself.

Rufous McKinney

Can cause heart attack, stroke and circulatory disorders"? Now that it has been legalised in some US states they should.

well, I can only testify to conditions in my state.

Legal product is covered in extensive warning labels.

like-

"May Be Harmful" is listed in english.
"Please use extreme caution"

Other health warnings included. It covers about half the side of the jar here.

Plus: our state label for Prop 65 (that something that could cause cancer or reproductive harm)....a state disclosure requirement.

Then unlike most every source of herbs that exist commercially (except for the good brands of chinese herbs)- its extensively tested and must not harbor residual pesticides, metals etc.

Sledgehammer

Yeah with booze and tobacco most are aware of what can happen. But I doubt that many know about the possible harm cannabis can do to the circulatory system. Having read up on some recent research it looks pretty risky for anyone with circulatory disorders.

Add tobbaco to the already toxic stuff (Skunk) and it's only a matter of time before you develop problems I can imagine.

A big issue is the current state of the world, and with that people's attitudes change. Instead of hitting the bottle or hard drugs many think smoking Cannabis is a cheaper way to escape what they see as a futureless miserable life. "But what about your children I've asked" All I got was a shrug of the shoulders.

Abrin

The only way you could get reliable numbers for adverse reactions would be to do a clinical trial that looked for the rate of adverse reactions of cannabis. I doubt that it would be legal to give someone a potentially harmful substance to see what happens. But I've seen enough now to convince me it's bad stuff. Never used it myself anyway.

The whole country of Canada is pretty much a clinical trial right now since it is legalized here. ;)