• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Abilify- Stanford Clinic Patients

choochoo

he has incorrectly diagnosed me as schizo i think, but i have an extensive bistory of medicine sensitivity. Sub clinical working for me
Would not be odd. Im thinking .25 or lower if i can.

id like to add ldn and celebrex after, i think. Getting on abilify will likely be difficult.

meds are often difficult for me. Scared but hopeful, i am ready for some breathing room.

I would think twice about taking both Celebrex and Abilify at such an early stage of your illness. These drugs are NOT to be taken lightly. My experience with Celebrex ended with serious ( hospital intervention ) side effects. Abilify ( the jury is out ) is another powerful and unpredictable drug.

Rest rest and more rest. Give it a couple more years before you throw caution to the wind. Then think about it. Please!

leokitten

My experience with Celebrex ended with serious ( hospital intervention ) side effects.

Did you have GI bleed? What daily dose?

I agree that’s why I’ve been promoting in this thread for people who want to combo with a COX-2 inhibitor to take etoricoxib instead, much lower risk of GI and related issues as it’s way more COX-2 specific. If you live outside the US can get by Rx, if in US I think it’s really worth it to spend the money to buy from European pharmacies as it’s not expensive.

Last edited:

leokitten

I agree that’s why I’ve been promoting in this thread for people who want to combo with a COX-2 inhibitor to take etoricoxib instead, much lower risk of GI and other issues as it’s way more COX-2 specific. If you live outside the US can get by Rx, if in US I think it’s really worth it to spend the money to buy from European pharmacies as it’s not expensive.

One issue worth highlighting regarding etoricoxib and other more selective COX-2 inhibitors, and actually a few traditional NSAIDs, is that with these drugs if they have much lower risk of GI issues they have a higher risk of thrombotic-related cardiovascular issues with long-term use at higher dosages. I read a review study which recommended to take the lowest efficacious dose, and found etoricoxib 30mg to be equivalent to celecoxib 200mg for chronic pain and arthritis.

choochoo

I agree that’s why I’ve been promoting in this thread for people who want to combo with a COX-2 inhibitor to take etoricoxib instead, much lower risk of GI and related issues as it’s way more COX-2 specific. If you live outside the US can get by Rx, if in US I think it’s really worth it to spend the money to buy from European pharmacies as it’s not expensive.

I am now on etoricoxib after it was mentioned by you and someone else. I seem to have no issues with this.

I developed ulcerative colitis as a direct result of Celebrex . The bleeding was bad and I was hospitalised. The day after I stopped it the bleeding subsided. BEWARE.

Last edited:
Heii guys

Do some sideeffects subside after some time?

I tried Abilify for 3 weeks at a starting dose of 0.5mg.

Are the sideeffects are gona be much more severe when you increase the dosage?

I feel flu like symptoms, dizziness and the absolutely worst part is that I always think about sex! I cannot close my eyes without imagine something sexual. And the dreams are pretty realistic. It drove me crazy and that's the reason I stopped it yesterday.

Or do probably someone know a solution for this sex problem? A medication that inhibits this sid effect?

I really would like to try Abilify at a higher dose...

Marco

leokitten

Or do probably someone know a solution for this sex problem? A medication that inhibits this sid effect?

The sexual side effect is very common with Abilify, it’s one of the most common symptoms and completely normal because of its effects on dopamine receptors.

I believe SSRI antidepressants used in combo with Abilify will help reduce the sexual side effects.

Last edited:

bensmith

Lol sorry mate that is weird.

@choochoo inhear you, but im really sick. Im scared im going to be very severe soon if im not realkg almlag ythere. I need something to stop
The bleeding it seems : /

I keep getting worse too. I just have so mang issues and now severe cfs all of a suddenn...i knownits risky, but im almost acared not to try its going so poorly. I am on the fence though.

Jessie 107

Heii guys

I feel flu like symptoms, dizziness and the absolutely worst part is that I always think about sex! I cannot close my eyes without imagine something sexual. And the dreams are pretty realistic. It drove me crazy and that's the reason I stopped it yesterday.

Marco
I am on 3 mg of abilify I've never had any side effects,I am still feeling better for it energywise

choochoo

Heii guys

Thanks
Heii guys

Marco

But do you feel any better? And what dose are you on?

stefanosstef

I think that low dose Abilify would probably have the opposite effects on sexual desire than full dose.As we said before partial agonist has a dual and opposite action depending on the dosage.
A full dosage would antagonize endogenous dopamine and because it is less activating it will cause suppression, thus it is used as an antipsychotic.In lower dosages it increases dopaminergic activity.
At least this is my understanding about the pharmacology of this drug.

stefanosstef

If you mean just taking Abilify by itself without a COX-2 inhibitor or LDN? Anecdotal reports say combining with these is synergistic with Abilify and supposedly helps to prevent tolerance or ME-related waning efficacy. But each of us is a crap shoot so you never know Abilify might work for you without anything else or it might not, this is the hell of ME having to make these decisions about empirical treatments.

I've only seen 1 report from a user here about the Abilify and LDN combo.Is there another one?I'm asking because, as I've said before, LDN greatly improves pramipexole's action and I believe that pramipexole's and abilify's main action on the brain is very similar.Pramipexole also increases dopaminergic activity and most likely lowers neuroinflammation according to the few studies that have been done.

Most of yall taking brand or generic? Does that matter?

In my opinion and experience it doesn't matter at all for simple drugs.It may play a big role though if the drug has some kind of sustained release mechanism.In these cases usually the pharma company that held the patent has the best version.Some examples I remember are Adderall XR, Concerta and Wellbutrin.

Butydoc

Lowest dose in US is 2 mg pill just cut in half with pill cutter which you can get at any CVS or other pharmacy.
Abilify also comes in a solution of 1mg per ml. I use a tuberculin syringe which allows me to use 0.1mg increments. I started at 0.1mg and up it to .2mg over two weeks. I plan to stay on this dose since I have had a good clinical response from moderately severe to mild. I was bed rest 90 percent of the time, now I’m am back walking 2 miles/day. Batemen’s patients use anywhere from 0.1-0.5mg/day.

perrier

Abilify also comes in a solution of 1mg per ml. I use a tuberculin syringe which allows me to use 0.1mg increments. I started at 0.1mg and up it to .2mg over two weeks. I plan to stay on this dose since I have had a good clinical response from moderately severe to mild. I was bed rest 90 percent of the time, now I’m am back walking 2 miles/day. Batemen’s patients use anywhere from 0.1-0.5mg/day.
Thanks for this information about this method of administration. As you are a medical doctor, I value your opinion highly. If you managed to leave the bed and walk this much, I wonder if you have experienced any PEM or any 'crashes.' And in your opinion, how can such a low dose produce such a remarkable result? Is the system getting dopamine hits? May I ask how long you have been on this medication. Thank you very much in advance.

Butydoc

Thanks for this information about this method of administration. As you are a medical doctor, I value your opinion highly. If you managed to leave the bed and walk this much, I wonder if you have experienced any PEM or any 'crashes.' And in your opinion, how can such a low dose produce such a remarkable result? Is the system getting dopamine hits? May I ask how long you have been on this medication. Thank you very much in advance.
I was progressively doing worse over the past several months. I would get PEM every few days. My threshold for PEM was lower and lower until I found myself confined to a bed 90% of the time. I’m extremely sensitive to medications and was reluctant to start at the dose many have suggested. After speaking to Dr. Bateman,
I decided to start Abilify.

From what I can tell, there isn’t any studies on what is the correct micro dose for Abilify. I decided to start a very low dose to see if I had any negative reactions. I was on 0.1mg for 9 days. After two days I noticed I had more energy and was able stay out of bed more often. I keep a journal and this was the first positive physical development I have had over the past several months. I increased to 0.2mg and have been on this dose for the
past 8 days. I have been able to walk 2mile/day for the past 4 days with little or no PEM. In fact, I haven’t had a crash since I started the Abilify. I will probably stay on this dose for the next month or two. Since I haven’t suffered a negative side effect, I would like to keep it that way. I do not plan to push myself anymore than I already have to seen if I will continue to improve without a crash.

perrier

I was progressively doing worse over the past several months. I would get PEM every few days. My threshold for PEM was lower and lower until I found myself confined to a bed 90% of the time. I’m extremely sensitive to medications and was reluctant to start at the dose many have suggested. After speaking to Dr. Bateman,
I decided to start Abilify.

From what I can tell, there isn’t any studies on what is the correct micro dose for Abilify. I decided to start a very low dose to see if I had any negative reactions. I was on 0.1mg for 9 days. After two days I noticed I had more energy and was able stay out of bed more often. I keep a journal and this was the first positive physical development I have had over the past several months. I increased to 0.2mg and have been on this dose for the
past 8 days. I have been able to walk 2mile/day for the past 4 days with little or no PEM. In fact, I haven’t had a crash since I started the Abilify. I will probably stay on this dose for the next month or two. Since I haven’t suffered a negative side effect, I would like to keep it that way. I do not plan to push myself anymore than I already have to seen if I will continue to improve without a crash.
Thank you very much for more detail. When you have a moment, please let me know the following: do you still suffer from intermittent toxic feeling, flu feeling, OI, which are so often present also in this illness. You speak of increased energy, but what about the other symptoms? Have you any thoughts on what exactly this Abilify is helping with in the body? Or is the mechanism not entirely known? Thank you again for your speedy response.