• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Abilify- Stanford Clinic Patients

bensmith

Just started. Around .25 i think. Sad to hear these reports rolling in. Maybe i will take it as needed? Hm.

i had a similar expeirence with most drugs ive taken.

no free lunch, sadly.

Noticing a small bump immediately. 10%...and now gone. Lasted 20 mins but first dose.

@hmnr asg cymbalta for pain?

hm. Might be getting worse now.

Last edited:

hmnr asg

I don’t believe you can take drugs psychotropic as needed, they either won’t work or you will just be going up and down like a rollercoaster.

Exactly! you cant just pop it like benzos on occasion. For me the first week was terrible.
I say stay on 0.25mg, and dont increase it for now. I think maybe smaller dose might have been more effective for me.
And whatever you do, dont push yourself. Just stay in bed and watch netflix!

ps how are you doing 0.25 mg? the smallest pill is 2. Are you cutting it into 8 pieces?

hmnr asg

bensmith

@hmnr asg yes trying to cut it very small. Not easy.

did you guys feel worse at all at first? Feel much better emotinally, but certainly more sound sensative. Maybe weaker and more trouble talking.(mentally)

ok yes a decent amount worse.

@leokitten ok

Last edited:

hmnr asg

@hmnr asg yes trying to cut it very small. Not easy.

did you guys feel worse at all at first? Feel much better emotinally, but certainly more sound sensative. Maybe weaker and more trouble talking.(mentally)

ok yes a decent amount worse.

@leokitten ok
Why not use the solution like @leokitten suggested? easier to dose.
First week I was more tired and felt very irritable. thats all.

bensmith

@hmnr asg dont think this is going to work for me. Its made me worse for sure. Also yes a bit irritable.

damn, hard decision.

im more sound sensative at the very least. Just had trouble turning over, never had thar issue. Could be coincidence but i noticed a big burst of good and now worse. Seemed to have similar action with dribose.

hmnr asg

@hmnr asg dont think this is going to work for me. Its made me worse for sure. Also yes a bit irritable.

damn, hard decision.

im more sound sensative at the very least. Just had trouble turning over, never had thar issue. Could be coincidence but i noticed a big burst of good and now worse. Seemed to have similar action with dribose.

You really can’t judge by the first 10 days. You gotta stay at the low dose and ride it out. And then you can decide. But getting on psych meds is always like this: the first few days are terrible until you get adjusted. Don’t judge too early.

leokitten

You really can’t judge by the first 10 days. You gotta stay at the low dose and ride it out. And then you can decide. But getting on psych meds is always like this: the first few days are terrible until you get adjusted. Don’t judge too early.

Even the first month with some psych meds from what I’ve read?

hmnr asg

Even the first month with some psych meds from what I’ve read?
Yes exactly , I don’t know where I got that 10 days from lol. I have gotten on and off many psych meds and the first month is just a waiting period. But if the side effects haven’t diminished or increased after a month I call it quits.

bensmith

Christ going to be a brutal month. Did not expect to get worse.

feel helpful with mental health but feel dogshit with my cfs.

I guess ldn is like that too, worse then better sometimes. Fingers crossed lol.

Last edited:

Hip

@Hip is the first person I know who started experimenting with antipsyhcotics and he mentioned clearly that lower dose is the effective dose (works differently on lower dose).

Yes, for these third generation antipsychotics like amisulpride and aripiprazole, these drugs are classed as dopamine system stabilizers, which means the drug acts as an agonist of the dopamine receptors at low dopamine concentrations, but acts as an antagonist at high dopamine concentrations.

So these drugs boost the dopamine system when dopamine is low, but put the breaks on the dopamine system when dopamine is high. Refs: 1 2

The response to amisulpride is also dose-level dependent:

At low doses, amisulpride blocks the dopamine autoreceptors. An autoreceptor is presynaptic regulatory feedback mechanism which controls how much of a neurotransmitter like dopamine is being released into the synapse (the junction between neurons). When you block the dopamine autoreceptors, it makes the neuron think there is not enough dopamine in the synapse, so more dopamine is released. In this way, blocking dopamine autoreceptors leads to more dopamine release.

But at high doses of amisulpride, then this drug starts to antagonize the postsynaptic dopamine receptor (the normal dopamine receptor), and at these higher doses the overall effect is dopamine antagonism. Refs: 1 2

Aripiprazole behaves similarly at the presynaptic and postsynaptic dopamine receptors. This paper says:
There is evidence that aripiprazole functions as both a presynaptic D2 agonist and post synaptic D2 antagonist. Presynaptic D2 autoreceptors may play a vital role in the ability of aripiprazole to act as a DA system stabilizer, but at higher doses (such as the ones used to treat schizophrenia), aripiprazole also has a significant binding affinity at post synaptic D2 receptors.

Some more info in the first post of this thread.

Last edited:

bensmith

feeling a bit conflicted with my initial cfs worseninf reaction—coupled with what seems to be a tolerance issue : /

how long did abilify work for yall? Did your habits change on it?

inwant to add. Less light sensative but way more sound sensative. Less mental anguish but more flu sickness, unable to sleep, felt better for 20 mins.

Last edited:
Hey guys

Does anyone take Abilify together with other antipsychotics or antidepressants?

As I said, I suffer from permanent brain demage after my last treatment attempt with tenofovir. Each excitation in my brain leads to an orgsm without any stimulation. Each orgasm triggers a new crash with a permanent worsening of my condition.

That i why I developped an extrem anxiety and heavy panic attacks. I absolutely need a medication!!!

The problem is that I am a little scarred that they could interfere with Abilify in some way an that it could stopp working.

Thanks for your help:)
Marco

leokitten

Hey guys

Does anyone take Abilify together with other antipsychotics or antidepressants?

As I said, I suffer from permanent brain demage after my last treatment attempt with tenofovir. Each excitation in my brain leads to an orgsm without any stimulation. Each orgasm triggers a new crash with a permanent worsening of my condition.

That i why I developped an extrem anxiety and heavy panic attacks. I absolutely need a medication!!!

The problem is that I am a little scarred that they could interfere with Abilify in some way an that it could stopp working.

If you are having constant excitations leading to new crashes with permanent worsening of your condition and Abilify is causing this (like you mentioned in another post regarding the orgasms) then is Abilify actually working? I would say no it’s not working so why you are staying with it at all? Or why you are worried about adding an antidepressant?

I also searched PR and apologies maybe you forgot to write in any post that your took tenofovir or that it caused you brain damage? Can’t find it.

Last edited:
I probably wrote it unclear.
I dont have constant excitations and orgasms. And abilify is not the cause of the problem. It does just increase the risk of having one. The last three weeks I havent had one at all. But it was extremely exhausting to control absolutely each tought all the time. I have many ice pads beside my bed to cool me down if I start feeling excitment. That works to some degree. But it makes me mentally ill!

On the other hand Abilify works quite well physically. I wouldnt be able to use my smartphone, watch tv or use a spoon otherwise...sooo it's worth the higher risk of having a crash for me.

Cheers
Marco