• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

A Senator Responds to a CFS Letter

ballard

Hi All,
I have been writing our congressional delegation regarding concerns about XMRV being in the blood supply. Here is my letter:

"A recently discovered human retrovirus, similar to HIV may be infecting our blood supply. This virus may cause prostate cancer, the neuroimmune disease ME/CFS, and other serious diseases.

At this time the U.S. blood supply is not being screened for XMRV. Canada, Australia and New Zealand do not allow blood donations from people with ME/CFS. At present, individuals with ME/CFS are free to donate blood to the U.S. blood supply if they feel well enough.

Act now and bar individuals with ME/CFS from donating blood. Remember that this is your watch. It is far better to be safe than sorry."

Here is Senator Cantwell's reply: (Senator Maria Cantwell is from Washington State)

" Thank you for contacting me regarding blood donations that could contain XMRV. I appreciate hearing from you.

I fully understand your concerns and appreciate the time you have taken to bring this to my attention. I have contacted the Food and Drug Administration on your behalf and brought your situation to the attention of the appropriate individual. I have asked the agency to review your letter and provide you with a written reply addressing your concerns. In the meantime, if you feel that I can be of assistance in any other way, please let me know."

I have been writing to legislators about CFS for 16 years. This is the first time I have received more than a form letter in return. Makes me think that something is going on.
I suspect that I am not the only one writing legislators about the blood supply. Maybe XMRV and CFS are starting to be on the Congressional radar!:D

If I don't hear from the FDA in the next couple of weeks, I will contact Senator Cantwell's office again.

V99

Thanks for posting this ballard. It's fantastic to get a response. Keep pushing for answers, we need this.