• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

A plug for muscle testing

Mary

Moderator Resource
@ChrisD - when I first tried it, I didn't care if it made sense or not. I had been sick for 7 years with no help from doctors so didn't have much to lose besides $50. So I was willing to try it. And it helped me from the get go.

I had the testing done with a second person also - when I was too weak to be able to resist when my arm was pressed, they used a surrogate, another person who touched me and then the actual testing was done using the surrogate. Wild, yes! but it worked.

And I too have had the chiropractor pick up issues I had never mentioned and which were not discernable in any way by my appearance or reactions.

Thank you for posting your experience! :nerd:

MT does have limitations. It hasn't helped at all with PEM. But I've found myself wondering if there is more to be learned or developed from MT, maybe someday it will be able to do more. All technologies are developing and advancing in ways we couldn't imagine even 10 years ago.

@Wolfcub - I'm tagging you here - see @ChrisD's post right above - he's in East Sussex and just had MT done.

Rufous McKinney

I am still interested in experimenting with muscle testing supplements.
I've tried it a few times but with inconsistent results. I"m still open to this technique helping us, as I've experienced energetic medicine, before..

Reading about Chiropractors doing these things, nothing there helped with how would you test some pill you haven't consumed it yet. So how can the body have an opinion about it? That all sounded more like how to evaluate you body's general condition, using muscle testing. (ie: oh, weak liver, see here?)

This web site is discussing doing muscle testing for supplements, specifically, and includes how might you do such a test, on yourself.

https://www.professionalwhey.com.au/blog/muscle-testing-supplements

I am thinking about how would I try out these other testing methods?

How do you deal with the fact that you know your being muscle tested or asking yourself a result. It's full of bias. This suggested to me, that attempts at replication might be helpful. Thats where I didn't generate consistent results.

Curious about this: do you think you need pure physical contact with the supplement, to obtain a valid result?

I put what I was testing into jars, so I didn't know what I was testing at any given moment. Attempt to blind, myself.

Mary

Moderator Resource
Reading about Chiropractors doing these things, nothing there helped with how would you test some pill you haven't consumed it yet. So how can the body have an opinion about it? That all sounded more like how to evaluate you body's general condition, using muscle testing. (ie: oh, weak liver, see here?)

I've had muscle testing do both - check whether a supplement etc. I've never had before was good for me, and also check the general condition of the various organs and systems in my body. It often got quite specific with me - helped with weak adrenals, stuck ileocecal valve (which was diagnosed with muscle testing after a barium enema (yeck!) failed to show any problem but I was having symptoms, lots of digestive issues. I know you have a lot of digestive issues so a good chiro might be able to help with that so that you don't have to struggle so hard with it.

I can't tell you how to do the testing. I really don't recommend that people try doing it on themselves without first having a knowledgeable and competent practitioner do it first.

How do you deal with the fact that you know your being muscle tested or asking yourself a result. It's full of bias.
Yes, it can be full of bias. You have to keep your mind as empty as possible while doing it. Otherwise you can influence the results. Again, a good practitioner should be able to deal with this.

do you think you need pure physical contact with the supplement, to obtain a valid result?

I put what I was testing into jars, so I didn't know what I was testing at any given moment. Attempt to blind, myself.

I can't tell you the answer for this. I don't want to repeat myself, but I guess I will - again, I urge you to see a practitioner. See and experience what they do. Ask them all your questions. I can't answer them all.

The only thing I know for sure is that muscle testing has been invaluable to me. I've written about it before so won't repeat it all here. It's cheap compared to a regular doctor visit.

Rufous McKinney

I may have found two possible places doing Applied Kinesiology....(hopefully that includes muscle testing)

one is south of town- Chiropractic

the other is closer to me- osteopaths

I won't know until I call and get my daughter to interview them, if they in fact do this work.

House Calls are far more common here, so I'll be begging somebody to stop by here.

Wayne

Sometimes practitioners only use it for structural things,
Hi @Mary -- I'm a big believer in going to chiropractors who muscle test for structural things. Having this experience myself makes me wonder how chiropractors can do optimal treatment without doing it. After many of these sessions, I believe I got a better sense for muscle testing in general I might not have gotten otherwise. So, @Rufous McKinney, I think your thoughts about going to an Osteopath sound like a good direction to go in. -- Best!

Last edited:

Rufous McKinney

I'm a big believer in going to chiropractors who muscle test for structural things.

I had this book, @Wayne...written by a hippie massage gal, maybe early 1970s.

The entire book was brilliant. It was everything she learned massaging people, tied into emotional responses and stored up stuff in our bodies, etc etc.

She had carefully analyzed the entire process, had chapters, diagrams. The book was mind-blowing and brilliant.

So it burned up. I cannot remember the authors name. The title had something to do with stored up emotional stuff and body work, acupressure points (alot of that).

I want that book back so badly, and have no idea how to find it.

Maybe I'll try again, harder, to go forth Googling. (clearly out of print, sitting in some used book shop in Portland (mine was at Barts in Ojai)

Wayne

Old 2003 article from the Townsend Newsletter -- In this article, a health care practitioner describes her use of muscle testing to resolve layers of miasms. Thought it fit in quite well with this thread. The introduction below describes her approach quite well. I thought it was very interesting.

... a brief description of my healing work is in order since it is rather unorthodox, even within the field of alternative medicine. My goal is to determine the causal levels of illness for clients, and I have found that there are usually numerous causal levels involved in most cases of chronic disease. I use applied kinesiology (AK; also referred to as “muscle-testing”) to determine each causal level, and also for assistance in choosing the most effective healing modality related to each cause. For example, if an emotional causal level is indicated, then would a homeopathic remedy be best? Or counseling? Or EMDR, NAT, bodywork, etc.

Miasms are frequent culprits involved in the evolution of chronic illnesses. I define miasms as vibrational level blueprints or templates. For instance, if someone is exposed to a high concentration of an herbicide such as dioxin, they can potentially acquire a dioxin miasm – the vibrational template of this noxious chemical. Miasms can be acquired, and they can also be inherited. In making rather liberal use of the homeopathic term “miasm,” I have thus gone beyond the strict definition of it within the boundaries of classical homeopathy. I have overstepped these boundaries because a) the method I have developed works very well in treating people, and b) it is a logical and a practitioner-friendly way to think of miasms and of their profound significance in the successful treatment of illness.

To date, I have no way of determining the innumerable chemical and prescription drug miasms that plague people in today’s world, other than using the guidance I receive via muscle-testing. When a patient comes in for a consultation, I take their case, and then use AK to determine the first ‘layer’ that needs clearing. When they return 3-6 weeks later, we then figure out the second layer requiring treatment. We proceed in this manner until all the layers (causal levels) have been addressed.​

Last edited:

Rufous McKinney

Miasms can be acquired, and they can also be inherited. In making rather liberal use of the homeopathic term “miasm,” I have thus gone beyond the strict definition of it within the boundaries of classical homeopathy.

check out this paper: I will have to read thru this in installments but it seems to be discussing Morphic fields and how they might interface with acupuncture meridians.

https://www.scirp.org/html/4-8801323_62529.htm

I'm so glad you are writing about your experiences to help others, despite the pushback. I was going to write a separate post on Kinesiology, until I saw this. Here are my experiences with Kinesiology diagnosing me with viruses, allergies, autoimmunity, and a source of pain. Skip the next paragraph if you already know how it is performed.

“Kinesiology is a holistic therapy which uses muscle response testing to measure the motor response of the central nervous system to a sensory challenge,” explains Kinesiology Association [1]. In my muscle testing this has meant laying down and holding an arm up while a doctor trained in Kinesiology asks silent yes and no questions of my body, which are not told to me in advance. The next step is pressing down on my arm to see if I am able to resist based on that question or if I have a weak response where my arm is pressed down.

My favorite use of this is when I am feeling more fatigued than usual. I go to my holistic doctor and she is able to ask whether or not I have an infection. Next she tests to see if it is bacterial or viral. When I feel like that, it is generally a virus.

The second part is testing what kind of supplements may help with the virus. So I hold the supplement bottle in my hand while having the muscle testing done to determine if that supplement will help or not. There are different brands of supplements that will do similar things, but only one may help me. I have switched off ineffective brands provided to me by another doctor’s office to ones that actually improve my energy that way. More testing determines how much of that supplement I need. Sometimes the supplements help, and sometimes they don’t help me feel better when I have a virus.

The concept is the same with allergy testing. I hold what I may be allergic to in my hand and the doctor performs kinesiology, which determines if I am allergic to it or not. Further questioning can determine if there is a psychological component to that allergy. That is also part of the testing for supplements, to make sure my body will tolerate the supplement.

A drop of blood on a tissue used with Kinesiology may tell you if you have an autoimmune condition or not. Mine proved what blood testing already had told me, though the Kinesiology couldn’t tell me which autoimmune condition it was.

I’ve also had my chiropractor perform Kinesiology on me to determine what was causing lower rib pain. I have a hiatal hernia, which she can press down on and help me. But she tested me and said it was my diaphragm that was out of place, which she adjusted. Unfortunately now I have continuous pain there and have to do an exercise for it in addition, likely due to muscle deterioration.

1. “What is Kinesiology?” Kinesiology Association. Feb. 26, 2024. https://www.kinesiologyassociation.org/what-is-systematic-kinesiology.aspx