• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

A Brutally Honest Thread? * Possibly Not for the Faint of Heart

YippeeKi YOW !!

Heat is a fucking great movie. I'm not very well-educated in film and noirs but the pacing and acting and everything about it is amazing.
I agree that Heat is a much better movie than several others on this thread think, I disagree on the noir thing. Definitely NOT a noir film. The closest thing to a noir film made after the 50's is Chinatown, which was a great movie.

Oh shite, off-topic again. Apologies. I'll leave quietly o_O.

YippeeKi YOW !!

I have to think that we are so very close to the solution to all this mess and since we cannot know or see into the future, it just makes sense to try and stick it out a little longer.
Totally agree. And since the journey will take the same amount of time either way, I'm gonna hang with cautious optimism. Pleasanter trip, doncha' know :thumbsup:.

taniaaust1

I think hope is sometimes too painful because when hopes keep getting dashed, it gets too hard to take. But I like very much the first few words of what you said above: "You … never know" - It's not hope exactly, but it helps keep me going out of curiosity, if nothing else. We don't know the future. Nancy Klimas' trials with GWI patients might contain the answer for ME/CFS. Ron Davis might pop up with the answer this fall. You never know.

So I try to keep an open mind, I guess I can't help hoping a little, .

"hoping a little"

I personally find that the safest route for me emotionally. I'm long past the time when I'm thinking there will be a cure in my lifetime (which is sad as I are not old, its just due to the length of time I've been sick).

Acceptance with a little hope I find a more emotionally stable way to be. I do not have much hope but just enough that I hang on there with life.

Seven7

Seven
I try to live today as if there is not tomorrow but enough that I plan for future. So I try to make the best on my current situation and try to find a better future. I don’t hold like “when I get cure I will....”
I try to plAn around Cfs and do everything I want to do in live but have hope to get better. Balance!!!!

YippeeKi YOW !!

neo-noir then?? it has some of that approach. but yes, far off topic. I haven't seen enough classic noirs
Classic noirs are sort of an acquired taste, but essential for students of film and serious film lovers, which you seem to be one of, pardon the dangling participle. My hub got me into them, reluctantly at first, then more and more enthusiastically. They really are a category of their own, and owe a lot to the influx in the 30's and 40's of so much film talent from a Europe groaning under the approach, and then the actual presence, of The Reich.

If I can kick-start my brain (ha!), I'll tag you with some of the better titles, if that's OK, hopefully still available on Netflix. Gloria Grahame was in a lot of them, and brought a new and now classic depiction of the hooker/whore/easy girl with a heart of gold.

frozenborderline

Classic noirs are sort of an acquired taste, but essential for students of film and serious film lovers, which you seem to be one of, pardon the dangling participle. My hub got me into them, reluctantly at first, then more and more enthusiastically. They really are a category of their own, and owe a lot to the influx in the 30's and 40's of so much film talent from a Europe groaning under the approach, and then the actual presence, of The Reich.

If I can kick-start my brain (ha!), I'll tag you with some of the better titles, if that's OK, hopefully still available on Netflix. Gloria Grahame was in a lot of them, and brought a new and now classic depiction of the hooker/whore/easy girl with a heart of gold.
ive watched "gun crazy" but that's basically it... still have a lot to watch, definitely have quite a few on dvd though