• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

59% of long COVID patients got worse on catching coronavirus again

Hip

A survey of long COVID patients found that when they caught SARS-CoV-2 once again:
  • 42% found their long COVID got worse after catching coronavirus again
  • 17% found their long COVID got a lot worse after catching the virus again
  • 28% did not get any worse on catching the coronavirus again
  • 13% found catching the virus again actually made their long COVID a bit better

In the survey, "a lot worse" was defined as moving down one level or more on the ME/CFS scale of: very severe, severe, moderate, mild, remission after catching SARS-CoV-2 again.

The survey found that 59% of LC patients got either worse or a lot worse after catching COVID once again.

A similar survey found that for existing ME/CFS patients, when they caught COVID the first time, 38% reported becoming permanently worse, with 21% becoming a lot worse (meaning moving down one level or more on the ME/CFS scale).

hapl808

A similar survey found that for existing ME/CFS patients, when they caught COVID the first time, 38% reported becoming permanently worse, with 21% becoming a lot worse (meaning moving down one level or more on the ME/CFS scale).

Interesting how close the overall numbers ended up. Not that a survey has tight confidence intervals, but still kinda interesting. And makes some sense given our own experiences of catching various viruses. I would say personally 2 out of every 3 bad illnesses I got had lasting bad effects. These only tended to happen every 3-5 years (flu, really bad colds, injuries, etc), but also every once in awhile I'd feel better after one (but I always thought it might be due to different treatments like antibiotics). So maybe along the same lines.

Either way, a 60% chance of worsening after each bout of COVID doesn't sound great with a zillion cases a day. I can't tell you how many people I know who lately have been 'fighting off a cold' but swear it's not COVID.

pattismith

I wonder if brain insulin resistance may be involved in long covid (and in my own attention deficit...)

Glucose metabolism have shown to be involved in some neuropsychiatric diseases:

Genetic: a causal relationship on psychiatric phenotypes through circulating CRP, glucose, and urate. 2022 | Phoenix Rising ME/CFS Forums

and altered brain glucose metabolism may happens independantly of diabetes and could be involved in covid and post covid (here a small part only of this interesting article):

Biomedicines | Free Full-Text | Insulin Resistance in Peripheral Tissues and the Brain: A Tale of Two Sites | HTML (mdpi.com)

Indeed, the study by Montefusco et al. found elevated insulin and C-peptide levels in both diabetic and euglycemic COVID-19 and post-COVID patients [83]. Similarly, Chen et al. [85] found in non-diabetic COVID-19 patients that markers of insulin resistance were elevated 3–6 months after recovery from COVID-19.

These studies show that COVID-19 is associated with the development of insulin resistance, that insulin resistance occurs in both hyperglycemic and euglycemic patients, and that such resistance can persist long after recovery from COVID-19.

Several mechanisms for COVID-19-related hyperglycemia and insulin resistance have been proposed and include response to the inflammation of the cytokine storm, elevations in angiotensin II that result from a decrease in ACEII levels, T cell imbalance, and downstream effects of RE1-silencing transcription factor [84,86,87]. Interestingly, metformin, which can alter each of these four mechanisms, has shown some promise in the treatment of COVID-19 in both diabetic and non-diabetic patients [88].

I took me 2 years to recover to 70% from my initial covid infection that started my long covid, but a new infection has brought me back down to 20%. It is very scary since it is almost impossible not to get infected again after the virus is now endemic.