• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

5 emotions which turn into Chronic fatigue.

pamojja

It's contradicted by prospective studies. Basically a lot of people go through stress or trauma, and there's no increased likelihood that they'll develop ME/CFS.

Google scholar is a good place to start. Or search for the discussion of it on Phoenix Rising.

Well, admittedly, only wanted to point out the flaws in these studies ;). If I search them myself you always could evade by saying you meant another study. Thereby upholding the preferred consensus without any evidence.

Or I could find prospective studies which show an increase of general chronic disease with stress or trauma. And you would point out the flaws in them. In my opinion the science on this issue isn't really settled yet. We don't know definite yet.

Valentijn

@pamojja - You've expressed various rejections of science, so I see no benefit to engaging with you. It exists, and I've told you broadly where it can be found. I'm not going to waste 5 minutes of my life trying to convince you of anything when you've made it clear that it's pointless.

pamojja

@pamojja - You've expressed various rejections of science, so I see no benefit to engaging with you. It exists, and I've told you broadly where it can be found. I'm not going to waste 5 minutes of my life trying to convince you of anything when you've made it clear that it's pointless.

Now you're defaming me. I'm all for verifying facts by looking at the rigor of any particular study. If a study doesn't hold up to scientific rigor, it can't be used as evidence but further research. You wasted already more than 5 minutes of your life in stating there is reliable evidence, and in evading giving the references for it.

Here is my epidemiological data (with all their specific shortcoming) for an higher ACEs (adverse childhood experiences score) and it's 'correlation' with all major chronic diseases:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adverse_Childhood_Experiences_Study

Last edited:

me/cfs 27931

Here is my epidemiological data (with all their specific shortcoming) for an higher ACEs (adverse childhood experiences score) and it's 'correlation' with all major chronic diseases:

Kaiser Permanente has a long and sordid history of misdiagnosing ill patients as psych cases. Pretty easy to find detailed documentation online.

I was misdiagnosed by KP as a depressed patient for over 17 years. But thanks for letting me know why KP kept disbelieving that I didn't have a traumatic childhood prior to illness onset.

Personally, I would not trust any psych study coming out of Kaiser Permanente.

pamojja

Personally, I would not trust any psych study coming out of Kaiser Permanente.

As I said, with all the shortcomings of epidemiological data. But that's the nature Valentijn's studies too, which she now shies away from providing.

me/cfs 27931

As I said, with all the shortcomings of epidemiological data. But that's the nature Valentijn's studies too, which she now shies away from providing.
I'll defer to the Institute of Medicine 2015 report (now National Academy of Medicine):
IOM said:
Despite substantial efforts by researchers to better understand ME/CFS, there is no known cause or effective treatment. Diagnosing the disease remains a challenge, and patients often struggle with their illness for years before an identification is made.

Some health care providers have been skeptical about the serious physiological — rather than psychological — nature of the illness. Once diagnosed, patients often complain of receiving hostility from their health care provider as well as being subjected to treatment strategies that exacerbate their symptoms.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK274235/

pamojja

Once diagnosed, patients often complain of receiving hostility from their health care provider as well as being subjected to treatment strategies that exacerbate their symptoms.

Sounds utterly consistent with my experience with the handling of PAD by cardiologists, as I just posted in another threat:

Once a cardiologist recommended the replacement of my whole abdominal aorta including arteries down the legs with a goretex-like tube. I asked why not use simple, tested and cheap balloon-angioplasty instead. And what would be the risks of each. He only answer was, that balloon-angioplasty wouldn't be done by any cardiologist of my country, and didn't knew of any risks. Therefore asked the maybe provocative question, how much would there be a difference in profit for the hospital with each of these procedures. Thereby he ended his counseling, by declaring he would have only helped out, but actually wouldn't be a cardiologist himself.

Half year later I tried again with the hope of a more reasonable cardiologist. Unluckily, met the same again. This time he was very resolute, that the last time he would have advised me more than enough, which he wont do now again. So I only asked why he had denied his credentials last time? Where he got fire-red in his face and shouted: My actual problem would be a personality disorder, and I better should seek psychiatric treatment.

PS: waited for another 4 hours till an other cardiologist had the time for a second opinion. Also he could only advise on acute risks (1 in 100 during operation). For long term risks Dr. Google finally could give me the answer: 1 in 10 of prosthesis have to be replaced already after 5 years.

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
I think perhaps it's easy for westerners to have an exaggerated sense of what constitutes 'stress'

There are people in other parts of the world who through no fault of their own experience bombs dropping, terror, rape, seeing loved ones murdered, their livelihoods destroyed. You would think that would be a hotbed for breeding a response to ME.

Not to say that things don't happen here, loved ones die, or go through cancer/other issues. Even good happy things stress us.
But I cannot see any relationship that shows up between high stress and becoming ill.

Some people even thrive on a huge amount of stress -- these people climb mountains, jump out of planes etc. Even when things go badly they have the physical resources (energy) to bring to bear on the problem.

The people who break under stress, while they may have some coping deficits to address likely succumb to the stress because of physical reasons it seems to me rather than not applying themselves as vigourously to the same problems/stresses that so many others face.

Last edited:

pamojja

You have every right to refuse, I'm fine with that. Epidemiological data, as pointed out with my own conflicting one above, is only good enough for proposing a hypothesis - still to be tested in a trial. All I'm maintaining is we still don't know about it's role, or if it has any.

Leopardtail

Now you're defaming me. I'm all for verifying facts by looking at the rigor of any particular study. If a study doesn't hold up to scientific rigor, it can't be used as evidence but further research. You wasted already more than 5 minutes of your life in stating there is reliable evidence, and in evading giving the references for it.

Studies are not a replacement for common sense. In fact many academics show a complete lack of it. If people with ME become 'triggered' by the types of events that every lack person on the planet suffers, then it is a clear difference. Given that ME is diagnosed in circa 2 in a thousand of the population, nobody is going to waste precious research funding testing 20 people with ME and 10,000 normal people to verify this issue. It would be be a disgraceful waste of funding.

Every last person on the planet suffers at least one of probabbly multiple triggers of ME without getting ill. This is a defining feature of the illness, it is accepted by everybody involved in research even those following the silly biopsychosocialmodel.

This discussion is not clever, nor is it productive. It's wasting the valuable energy of people who have little of it. Frankly I find this demeanour abusive to our members. Further these silly arguments have been made countless times by one idiotic know it all after another here - we have no duty to entertain yet more of this - bother to read the forums and you will find you points have been answered conclusively and intelligently time and time again.

I look forward to more novel, entertaining and interesting discussion from you.

I actually gave a lot of money to this woman

I can't remember exactly how much but I'd say about £1000

She had me convinced I would get better but it just made me feel worse

I get scammed really, I payed for 4 sessions and after the 4th she seemed really positive but I know now that was only to get more money out of me, as soon as she got the cash after the 5th session she said the therapys over or something like that

At the end I got blamed, this is how these people work they try to shame you in the end and make up some random reason why you're not better so it all seems like it's your fault

Horrible experience - hopefully one day the truth will come out about these scammers

Leopardtail

I get scammed really, I payed for 4 sessions and after the 4th she seemed really positive but I know now that was only to get more money out of me, as soon as she got the cash after the 5th session she said the therapys over or something like that

At the end I got blamed, this is how these people work they try to shame you in the end and make up some random reason why you're not better so it all seems like it's your fault

Horrible experience - hopefully one day the truth will come out about these scammers
I am so sorry to hear that.

pamojja

Every last person on the planet suffers at least one of probabbly multiple triggers of ME without getting ill. This is a defining feature of the illness, it is accepted by everybody involved in research even those following the silly biopsychosocialmodel.

Therefore we agree to disagree. Since I definitely followed a multi-factorial model leading to the revoking of a government certified 60% walking disability, from a usually considered purely physical non-reversible disease. With the only difference that I respect your decision, and you call it silly.

I look forward to more novel, entertaining and interesting discussion from you.

No chance I get into the politics and the pharmaceutical science, like most here prefer to. The chronic non-reversible disease I went into remission has been funded with all the money in the world, and researched for a century - its what most of us will die from anyway - CVD. The 2nd most is from cancer. Therefore I see no precedence that throwing endless money and research - even declare an all out war - at a multi-factorial non-reversible disease would have found a cure. But merely a 1-3% reduction of 5-year mortality, I'll never give myself satisfied with.

Maybe I'm a bid weird, but I always go by the assumption that any services or goods or politics or science are done foremost for a living. That way I think it trice over, if I could life with my decision of parting some money for each of those, and the price-quality ratio I get. And usually I come down to do it the cheaper, more self-taught way. Also puts my own needs for living down substantially.

For example, decided as young adult after making my driving license and thinking it through, never to own a private car again. Just saw the statistic, in average to own a car each spends about € 400,00 a month.. (could also be considered 'wasted' - though not by 'common sense')

The question to always ask before making decisions, can I life with all it's ramifications?

Last edited:

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit

Unfortunately these scammers have always been with us and will continue. Having the truth come out actually means educating the public whose purse the scammers are after to learn to not be fooled by them (what is a scam as well as science education). If no-one parts with their money than the scam is over. The scammer has no earnings. Just exposing the scammer doesn't end the scam.

Edit for clarity

Last edited:

Research 1st

Severe ME, POTS & MCAS.
One has to read only 3 threads of remission-stories here on PhoenixRising, to understand that that kind of opposition to such stories is very prevalent to almost all remission stories. And not really surprising, such story-tellers gone already after a few posts again. A kind of self-selection going on. I therefore kept my inquiry to my introduction thread, to attract not too much of that.
(typos)

Remission stories are stories. With respect here is an hypothetical example of what 'recovered' CFS bloggers may write. This is their experience, real to them:

''Twelve months post diagnosis after IV Glutathione and Vitamin C, I feel much more alive and thus believe this has a positive effect in ME as I am far healthier than last year and haven't had a single relapse. I can now do gentle Yoga and short walks to build my strength up which proves that the IV's work for my CFS. I didn't measure my Vitamin C levels or check for pathogens before or after the IV's, but that doesn't matter. I KNOW it made me recover from CFS''.

What we need isn't this, stories, but Science.

Remission stories NEVER use robust science that fits into the model of a multi systemic disease but rely on someone's individual experience of CFS. It doesn't have to be fake it could be 100% real, but someone's individual experience is irrelevant to Science and the medical profession unless we have before vs after biomarkers when trying treatments. As it stands we don't know which biomarkers to use (there are many) we don't know which infections to use (may be secondary effect and infections aren't required for a diagnosis) and lastly, we don't know what it means to be someone with CFS - critical point.

The diagnostic Fukuda criteria of CFS are so weak, a patient can be malingering, or misdiagnosed with another disorder as all we are doing is hearing from people who then claim (with no evidence) they are better. What does better mean per se? Better from CF? CF is subjective without biomarkers.

There are three ways of thinking from here on regarding CFS recoveries.

1) A diagnosis with no test will mean people spontaneously recover anyway. Including Cancer with no Cancer test.
2) If you believe CFS is Fukuda CFS and nothing else, then yes, people do recover from CFS, end of debate.
3) If you however believe there is an organic disease or diseases within CFS, then there is zero evidence anyone has ever recovered from these since it's inception in 1988 as we don't know what CFS is yet and thus cannot respond to stories of recovery with honest acceptance of these stories as 'fact' as we don't know what these people had wrong with them to begin with, including themselves!

I go with number 3 above, as does almost everyone else to be honest, folk who apply scientific scrutiny to a medical claim IF you believe that CFS isn't what Fukuda CFS describes. I'll give you that, if you believe that Fukuda CFS is only 'CFS', then yes, people do recover as there is nothing to recover from needed to be demonstrated as the appalling caveat and of course some people can take over a year to recover from EBV and other infections when run down, or stressed out, or with poor nutrition and are never tested before the CFS diagnosis arrives.

The IOM don't agree with that though and declare CFS an organic disorder in need of treatments. Current alleged CFS cures range CBT to supplements to munching on HIV drugs with your cereal every morning yet this is all meaningless because individuals aren't groups of 500 patients vs 500 controls in double blind placebo controlled drug trials with screening biomarkers, which is what we've been waiting 30 years for and still don't have.

Get this in place and then we can see who recovers, who partially recovers, who doesn't, who gets worse - and why all without prejudice as Science is our leader, not personal bias.

barbc56

@Snowdrop

Good point. It's just so maddening when things light Phil Parker's lightning process which is a hugh scam has been institutionalized by the ? program. Sorry I can't remember the acronym. Smile?

Since Phil Parker's program is copyrighted, I'm sure he is making money on this!

Grrrr.

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
@Snowdrop

Good point. It's just so maddening when things light Phil Parker's lightning process which is a hugh scam has been institutionalized by the ? program. Sorry I can't remember the acronym. Smile?

Since Phil Parker's program is copyrighted, I'm sure he is making money on this!

Grrrr.

Yes, decades ago I started questioning advertising. These past many years if something seems like it might be about the person getting my money (and most horribly it's often more than a small amount) and I'm unsure about the product/service I decline.

I need to add the caveat that as my ME progressed to more serious I have tried things that while technically not a scam per se were of no value. The result was the same however -- a lighter pocket.

A rather quaint story of mine that I feel like sharing because it's what kicked off my thinking (it was an actual moment of awareness)

I was a young 20 something and was travelling alone in Europe. Sitting alone on a train that had those seats that face each other a Nun boarded and sat across from me. She struck up a conversation in English (not her native tongue) and I guess to break the ice (she seems to have an easy conversational style that was engaging), anyway she said to me; Your smile makes good toothpaste propaganda.

Rather than thanking her for the compliment I paused confused. This was in the 1970's and all I could think in my naive youth was what does Russian propaganda have to do with my smile.

Then it hit. Europeans in my mind then had a more sophisticated view of advertising. It is indeed propaganda. Since then I have always viewed it as such and (in the early days) made a point not to be sucked in (now a days it's second nature).

Again, as with other things I wish this was taught in school (a naive wish) But I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Being here on PR something else strikes me also since I'm going on about it. Although I have no science training I have come to appreciate that with this illness (but also other biological issues too) but ME in particular -- there is not likely a one to one corelation between a symptom and the obvious treatment that would seem to make sense. To quote @Murph in another post because it was said better than I could manage:

You seem to want to know if this is a cause or an effect. Porque non los dos? We draw a lot of one dimensional logical chains in trying to describe CFS in ways our brains can grasp. The reality is likely to be cycles interlinking with cycles, including vicious cycles that perpetuate the disease.

There is no straight line to be drawn. That would be most satisfying and we'd all be significantly better by now. I think those that do manage some real progress outside major medical treatment are outliers. Possibly even correcting something that is beside the ME (which is fine and good).

Therefore we agree to disagree. Since I definitely followed a multi-factorial model leading to the revoking of a government certified 60% walking disability, from a usually considered purely physical non-reversible disease. With the only difference that I respect your decision, and you call it silly.

No chance I get into the politics and the pharmaceutical science, like most here prefer to. The chronic non-reversible disease I went into remission has been funded with all the money in the world, and researched for a century - its what most of us will die from anyway - CVD. The 2nd most is from cancer. Therefore I see no precedence that throwing endless money and research - even declare an all out war - at a multi-factorial non-reversible disease would have found a cure. But merely a 1-3% reduction of 5-year mortality, I'll never give myself satisfied with.

Maybe I'm a bid weird, but I always go by the assumption that any services or goods or politics or science are done foremost for a living. That way I think it trice over, if I could life with my decision of parting some money for each of those, and the price-quality ratio I get. And usually I come down to do it the cheaper, more self-taught way. Also puts my own needs for living down substantially.

For example, decided as young adult after making my driving license and thinking it through, never to own a private car again. Just saw the statistic, in average to own a car each spends about € 400,00 a month.. (could also be considered 'wasted' - though not by 'common sense')

The question to always ask before making decisions, can I life with all it's ramifications?

You have cfs and you're actually sticking up for Mickel therapy?

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
There are three ways of thinking from here on regarding CFS recoveries.

1) A diagnosis with no test will mean people spontaneously recover anyway. Including Cancer with no Cancer test.
2) If you believe CFS is Fukuda CFS and nothing else, then yes, people do recover from CFS, end of debate.
3) If you however believe there is an organic disease or diseases within CFS, then there is zero evidence anyone has ever recovered from these since it's inception in 1988 as we don't know what CFS is yet and thus cannot respond to stories of recovery with honest acceptance of these stories as 'fact' as we don't know what these people had wrong with them to begin with, including themselves!

A prospective story often sorts out much of the BS - those people who have been long time (years) bloggers or regular forum posters who started telling their story long before before their remission are much more trustworthy - and also very few...