• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

2 enlightening fasting experiences

cigana

I think you can still fast, but part of the point is to be able to come off meds, so only the really essential ones are still taken (e.g. thyroid). I think you can take water with electrolytes for example. You could ask an expert doctor like those at True North Health.

lizw118

I see, so maybe I would stay on thyroid, adrenal and antidepressants, but go off of the vitamins, something like that. I will look up True North Health

Hi:

I'm new to posting here. I've mostly been a lurker, but I'd like to chime in with this link to the "Perfect Health Diet"

http://perfecthealthdiet.com/?cat=30

The sections which I see relating to this thread are subheaded "Intermittent Fasting" and (just below it) "Ketogenic Fasting".

There are some very interesting statements in there (can anyone back these up with references?) about fasting and ketones.

EXCERPT: (Reordered by me)
===============================================================

"Autophagy is strongly turned after about 16 hours of fasting. Autophagy is the garbage collection and recycling process of human cells. When resources are scarce, cells turn on recycling programs and send garbage collectors known as lysosomes to engulf and digest junk proteins and damaged organelles, enabling re-use of their amino and fatty acids.

Autophagy is the garbage collection and recycling process of human cells. When resources are scarce, cells turn on recycling programs and send garbage collectors known as lysosomes to engulf and digest junk proteins and damaged organelles, enabling re-use of their amino and fatty acids.

Autophagy is a key part of the immune defense against parasitic bacteria. Lysosomes not only digest human junk, they seek out bacteria and digest them.

Autophagy is strongly turned after about 16 hours of fasting. The longer one fasts, the more parasitic bacteria are destroyed in lysosomes. Fasting is an easy way to improve the relative balance of power between your body and intracellular pathogens. Fasting strongly promotes autophagy in neurons, and is of therapeutic value for Alzheimers.

===============================================================
While I have not fasted (purposely, anyway), I have tried coconut oil for stabilizing my blood sugar. For me, it worked amazingly well, and amazingly quickly. Stopped the shaking feeling, anxiety, fatigue, and etc.

Too bad it also gives me nasty inflammatory response a little while later. I'm guessing this is likely due to fructose content. I have fructose malabsorption, so I'm guessing that's what causes the problem. Otherwise, I'd dive on it.

Anyone else know a substance similar to coconut oil that doesn't trigger any of the three major intolerances/malabsorption (lactose, fructose, gluten) Kenny DeMeirleir talks about?

Hogwild

topaz

Hi Athene,

Thanks for the reply - looks like we are conversing on two threads simultaneously! It's very interesting what you say - I had forgotten Atkins induces ketosis. Alas I would only be prepared to do Atkins as a last resort, because of the damage it does. Sorry to disappoint you, but if it's worth anything I do believe I would see the effects you found yourself. I will try the elemental diet first in order to send the SIBO into remission and help the leaky gut, then work on the leaky gut, then water fast over Christmas if I get the opportunity. Failing that I would try the Atkins ketosis and I will let you know if I change my mind in the mean time.

Cheers

Cig

You may wish to research the "damage" that Atkins diet is claimed to do for your own peace of mind as there is an overwhelming change in the thinking regarding Atkins. A good read is Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes. Our bodies evolve very slowly (several 100,000's of years for a small genetic change) and we are not designed to eat carbs and sugars in the volumes that we do today. The consumption of carbs and sugars has increased exponentially over the past 50 years and our bodies are just not designed to function efficiently this way. There are many who believe that this change in our diet (in addition to the chemicals and pesticides in our food today) has led to the dramatic rise in the type of ailments that we see today. this is the area of food politics. The USDA cannot change the food pyramid (depite that it announced its intention to do so over 10 years ago) due to the lobbying of specific agricultural bodies.

Atkins (minus the artificial sweeteners) is very similar to the basis of most candida diets - eliminate sugars and carbs.

Sugars and carbs feed the bad gut bacteria and create a gut flora imbalance. Gut fora imbalances are correlated to CFS/IBS/Fibromylagia.

Fasting gives relief as it starves the bad bacteria, however symptoms return after the fast as the bad gut flora are fed again.

Probioitcs are beneficial to restoring the gut flora balance. I am just researching this at present and just posted on this a few minutes ago in another thread. I have linked that thread here at post #13 http://forums.phoenixrising.me/show...fog-from-every-antibiotic&p=188852#post188852

Happy to post more if there are any queries but I am convinced, that for me anyway, I need to tackle CFS with methylation and by addressing the gut, which is likely to be the cause of many of the symptoms and deficiencies that give rise to CFS.