• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

1934 Los Angeles atypical polio outbreak

SWAlexander

Thank you for pointing it out.
Finally!!! I have been saying for years PPS is (part of) ME/CFS.
I was laughed at by every doctor telling me "you have no medical credentials."
But, I have had all related symptoms since the age of 5 y old.

The 1934 Los Angeles County General Hospital epidemic is the first known recorded cluster outbreak resulting in what is now known as myalgic encephalomyelitis.
https://me-pedia.org/wiki/1934_Los_Angeles_atypical_polio_outbreak

lenora

Yes, I meant to correct the outbreak to atypical polio, but the day passed and I forgot. I must get a book on the history of outbreaks over the years in chronological order.

I think I have the correct answer and then a new outbreak appears. Still, one of the best books (and I don't know where it is to get the name) is a very long one re: the Lake Tahoe Outbreak and the follow-up all those years ago. Well, it doesn't seem that many to me, but time passes faster than we like to think. That book is one that I'll always have on hand as a reference book.

Many have been written since...especially as new cases appear, but that remains a good, solid look at the not-so-distant past and the people affected. That time is forever etched in my memory. Yours, Lenora

Mary

Moderator Resource
one of the best books (and I don't know where it is to get the name) is a very long one re: the Lake Tahoe Outbreak and the follow-up all those years ago. Well, it doesn't seem that many to me, but time passes faster than we like to think. That book is one that I'll always have on hand as a reference book.
I'm guessing you're talking about Osler's Web, by Hillary Johnson - it is an excellent book, and a hard read, it is so full of information -