• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Starting Water Fast. Would love to speak to anyone who has performed One

brenda

I would say that blood sugar levels would need to be closely monitored too. One can soon find out how one responds by just missing the odd meal then go on from there. I fasted for three days when l caught salmonella as l thought that l would get rid of it quicker along with sticking a piece of raw garlic on my skin to get it into my bloodstream without ingesting it, to kill the bacteria. I felt better than l felt for ages after the three days and the infection was gone.

I am interested in the idea for myself and as my blood sugar stays too high that would not be a concern, but l an pretty deficient in b12 now and still cannot take it, so that would be a major concern for me if l fasted for some time. No chance of me being monitored though and not many l know of would achieve that either.

MCRobbie

Well, one doesn't have to go to the estimable Dr De Meirleir or other great CFS docs (if you don't have the finances) to find a functional medicine doc willing to test your electrolytes. Its one of the cheapest and easiest tests to order. Yes glucose is another good one and there are many studies (sorry Valentinjn) showing fasting normalizes glucose and insulin levels. The other point (from someone well researched (but not an expert!)) is that there is ample evidence that your body has many vitamins and minerals stored in your tissues that are used for physiological function during fasting. Even if you have a 'low' blood level of a particular nutrient it doesn't mean you don't have ample stores of that nutrient stored up in your tissues.

Im a bit surprised to hear, after your saying how risky you felt it was, that you did a three day fast and felt great. If you felt so great why not try a fast of slightly longer duration and see if you feel........just as or more......great ;)

Mij

I looked into fasting years ago but my integrative functional medicine doctor advised against it for anyone with mitochondrial disorders. Optimal intake of calories and quality nutrition improves mito health. I have too many deficiencies as it stands

MCRobbie

There are studies showing that fasting improves mito health Mij. When I am done fasting I will find them for you if you are interested. Im too tired and deep into my fast to do it now.

Mij

There are studies showing that fasting improves mito health Mij. When I am done fasting I will find them for you if you are interested. Im too tired and deep into my fast to do it now.

I've read sooo many things against it but if you have studies I'd like to see them. thanks

brenda

I might consider it if my thyroid would be okay. My body is in healing mode ATM and l do go 15 hours without food between a very light snack at 5 pm and breakfast at 8 with most of my food within 4 hours in the morning so l am already semi fasting. Watching this space though.

MCRobbie

Yes you are, you are performing intermittent fasting which is great. Theres so many studies on the benefits of short intermittent fasting now. Thousands. Most people doing 'daily' intermittent fasting which is what you are doing go sixteen hours. That seems to be the length of time when various beneficial processes due to fasting 'turn on' such as autophagy. And then people consume food during an eight hour window each day. You are going fifteen hours which is great. Another hour added might increase the benefits a touch more. But please do your own research. I am not an expert!

Valentijn

It's understandable if there's too many for you to post them all, but maybe you can post links to the two or three which you feel provide the strongest evidence in support of your position.

brenda

I guess its a good place to start ie intermittent fasting. I never thought that it might be a factor in my healing - I thought it was the diet alone - gluten, dairy, sugar, soy, corn, nightshade, alcohol, ferments, and all processed food free. I will try the extra hour - it isn't much difference and might even go from lunch to breakfast ie 20 hours for an experiment. It will be pretty easy. My latest improvement is that I can now take supplements. I would not attempt it if I had hypogleacemia and low bp at all which many here have.

MCRobbie

Its often hard to tell what it is that is helping us Brenda but if you feel intermittent fasting is providing something that's great.

Well folks, Im into day 15 here and its time for me to sign off from this thread for a while. Responding to the harassments from a particular poster has darn near sucked the life out of me and I need to rest rest rest and regain my equilibrium. My fast and my health are more important than petty serves and volleys in a thread like this.

Ill be in touch when my fast is over and Ive regained some strength.

Roy S

former DC ME/CFS lobbyist
Do you know how they responded Roy?

They responded well as I understood it but I don't know exactly how much they did. I saw one of them before and after a fast of several days and I've never seen anybody look so rejuvenated so quickly. We were all trying a variety of alternative treatments around that time so it's quite complicated to evaluate them.

You have me thinking about fasting as a helpful treatment again; especially with the more recent scientific reports that indicate that even what I consider relatively short fasts might be much more useful than was thought back then.

Roy S

former DC ME/CFS lobbyist
Well folks, Im into day 15 here and its time for me to sign off from this thread for a while. Responding to the harassments from a particular poster has darn near sucked the life out of me and I need to rest rest rest and regain my equilibrium. My fast and my health are more important than petty serves and volleys in a thread like this.

Ill be in touch when my fast is over and Ive regained some strength.

Rest well. I've been surprised that you are able to engage at all here. I do remember how extra tired I was after the first few days on my long fast. One thing about the fasting clinic I went to was the supportive atmosphere of other fasters and staff.

BTW, I still think they should be called slows, not fasts. There's nothing fast about them. Ha ha

MCRobbie

Hi to the few people who may have some interest in an update and thank you Roy for the kind words.

Heres a synopsis:

I fasted for twenty days and the fast itself went very smoothly after days 3-4 where I had a difficult transition likely into ketogenesis resulting in chest pain rapid heart rate and heart palpitations. After that difficult transition things went very smoothly. I did check my electrolytes on day 7 and they were quite low and my physician who did the check recommended strongly that I end the fast. I had a hunch that my electrolytes were low because I was drinking too much water (1.5 gallons a day sometimes 2) and decided to continue the fast while decreasing my water intake to 1/2 gallon or thereabouts, and taking 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt on two consecutive mornings. I tested my electrolytes again on day 14 and they had risen to just slightly below normal and I knew I would be in good shape for the duration of the fast which I ended at day 20. I had planned on fasting for closer to 30 days and felt I could have reached that mark rather easily but ended the fast at day 20 because I have a very rare metabolic disorder which affects my appearance and the fast in combination with this disorder was having an impact. So I ended the fast for this very unusual reason only but feel I could have easily made it 30 days as the fast was going well, I was suffering no ill effects other than weakness and lightheadedness upon standing, the lightheadedness only slightly more pronounced than my usual orthostatic intolerance symptoms. I was feeling zero hunger at day twenty. I lost a total of 20 lbs in twenty days which is the normal rate, about one lb per day is what most people experience.

1st regarding the difficult transition on days 3 and 4. During those two days I was having considerable chest pain, racing heart mostly at night up into the 150's and considerable palpitations, skipping beats etc. My interpretation was not that I was having heart distress because of underlying heart disease issues but rather that it was more of an autonomic dysfunction issue and both my nervous and cardiovascular systems were struggling with the transition into ketosis due to underlying autonomic dysfunction. This is not to say that the symptoms were not serious. Its certainly possible I could have had a serious cardiac event but after considering breaking the fast I decided to wait it out and after those two days my chest pain palpitations and racing heart quickly receded about 90
%. After that things went relatively smoothly.

I should add that I could not have engaged in this fast at a worse possible time. I was at the time under great emotional duress due to family/relationships issues and was feeling very bleak and despairing at the onset and during the fast and also undertook the fast in the middle of a New England winter which brought four heavy snowstorms to my area in the twenty days of my fast and I was forced into the laborious task of shoveling out my car/parking spot, moving car for plows etc. which would have been hard enough to perform sans fast but made the fast very difficult. I tell you this because I think it is important to attempt to fast under the best conditions possible. Were I to have fasted under better circumcstances I feel strongly I may have had a better result.

From the beginning I felt that the fast was attempting to work on my gut, either by working on possible pathogens, or attempting to heal a damaged gut, possible leaky gut, or nerve damage, vagus nerve issues. I developed a very thick coating on the tongue which is very common and much to my surprise my tongue started to clear around day 15 and was about 90% clear on day twenty.

I had two very good days when transitioning back to eating, day 2 and 3, where I slept more soundly than I had in ages, slept almost through the night, and awoke with very a very normal breathing pattern which was remarkable seeing as my breathing patterns are so dysfunctional. My gut also felt very good and in the week following the fast it felt like it had 'come alive' and there was much more movement and activity, increased peristalsis certainly, but possibly greater pancreatic enzyme and possibly bile activity. Previously my gut felt very dead, like cement, with lots of pain and a feeling of little movement and activity. The week after my gut felt very alive and active and functioning more as it should be.

I believe I made some critical mistakes in the re feeding period, consuming too much food too fast and should have stayed a bit longer on just fruits beyond the first two days. I transitioned into meat and fish eating too quickly I believe and then transitioned at day five to raw milk and wished I had just gone a lot slower in getting back to some of the foods I normally consume. By the middle of the second week after the fast I felt my gut tilting back into its diseased state and the better sleep, better breathing I was experiencing started to fade. Four weeks after the fast now and I am just about back to where I was pre fast though there is still something in my gut that is trying to hang on to the gains I made the first week and a half after the fast. In retrospect I wish that I fasted under less stressful circumstances and wish that I decided to fast for the full thirty days as I originally intended. I think if I did those two things and transitioned back to my diet more slowly its possible I may have had a much better result.

I would like to fast again and soon but a metabolic disorder is holding me back at the moment. Well see how I feel in a few more months.

I don't plan on responding and being all that active in this thread as Ive got other things Id like to do. If someone wants to PM me about fasting they certainly can. I will not respond to any comments from the person who was not engaged in a civil debate in good faith about fasting but was rather engaging in a form of harassment, of a fellow CFS/ME sufferer no less.

Wish everyone god speed to better health and healing.

Mij

We were only asking for a study to show if this fast is beneficial for mitochondrial dysfunctions. You said there were "studies" and that you would provide them.

MCRobbie

Hi Mij, I agree if you are referring to yourself. I was not referring to you. If I have the time and the energy and inclination I will try to get them to you. I did not start this thread to be a purveyor of knowledge about Fasting. I started it to share experiences with others who had or were planning on fasting. If I don't get them to you Im not going to worry about it, nor should you look unfavorably toward me if I don't.

xks201

Fasting can be good to kill intestinal bacteria but I wouldn't recommend it for as long as you are doing it. Please be careful. I would stop now as the blanket statement that humans can live x days without water may not apply to people with cfs type disorders like yourself.

rebar

thank you MC,
although a 20 or 30 day fast seems extreme to me its your business and I appreciate you sharing your
experience.
I intend on trying a 1 day fast once a week. I tried a 3 day but that was to hard on me.
Very unpleasant crash toward the end of the 2nd. day. The day of the fast and the morning of the 2nd day
were good but by mid afternoon I took a nosedive.

MCRobbie

It is certainly a serious undertaking Rebar and I would never deny that. I spent months and months reading and researching and doing my due diligence and decided to take the plunge. For anyone interested in a longer fast I would recommend they do the same thing, lots of reading, lots of reflection, lots of preparation, consulting with Drs etc.. Good luck on your one days.

From all my reading and research it appears that days 2-5 are the toughest though certainly people can struggle at any time and everyone is different but that is the transition into ketosis during those days and the body makes many metabolic adjustments. I struggled myself during that stage. Others do some don't.