August 8th, 2018: Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe ME
Have you heard of our Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance? Please join Jody Smith in observing this day and honoring the 25% of those with ME/CFS who are most severely ill.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Speaking of the desert...who here has went there and how long did you stay for before improving?

Discussion in 'Addressing Biotoxin, Chemical & Food Sensitivities' started by Love Yourself, Jan 30, 2018.

?

How long did you stay in the desert for before you started noticing improvements?

1. Overnight

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. A weekend/two days

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Last than a week

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. One week

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Somewhere vaguely in between 1-2 weeks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 2 weeks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. I didn't have any improvements while in the desert. :(

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  8. Other: please explain in thread!

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. Love Yourself

Love Yourself

I'm planning a trip to Death Valley and am trying to decide how long I'd need to go for to minimally test whether or not I'd improve at all (I'm currently located in NY, so I'm not exactly in a mold free state...or house. :( ).

How long did you stay for when you went to the desert and when did you start noticing improvements? (Also, where did you go?)

2. Mary

Mary Moderator

Southern California
    I've been living in the high desert of California for 13 years. It hasn't helped my ME/CFS though I do like the dry climate, all the sun and the heat in the summer.

3. Heartl

Heartl Wife, mom, animal lover

Reno, NV
    Same here, live in Northern Nevada my entire life (dry climate) have been sick for at least 25 years

Mary likes this.
  4. antares4141

antares4141 Senior Member

Truth or consequences, nm
    10 years in NM living in all kinds of alternative housing situations on a remote location. Benefits are confounded by other conditions. Like I suspect I had unaddressed food allergies. Also chemical sensitivities? I had symptoms so bad at times I thought I might have been poisoned. So I got tested for the basic things like mercury and arsenic. Lyme, which all came back negative. It's been ten years now and I still have ups and downs which are rollercoaster like. Than also trends which vary over months and weeks more like the stock market. Chemical and mold exposures peppered through all this as confounders. Visiting my dad with questionable housing as far as mold goes. Short answer is 3 weeks probably isn't going to tell you much and will set you back substantially financially, physically, and emotionally. Expending these resources on a more permanent solution might be a better way to go. And I can't think of anything for people who are financially constrained other than living outside. Which I did under a carport next to my moldy house for 2 years in fl, again with mixed results before moving out to nm.

Heartl likes this.
  5. antares4141

antares4141 Senior Member

Truth or consequences, nm
    I am doing better than I have probably since I took ill in 1997. But again their are so many confounders. I am 21 years older now. And many of the issues I raised in the other message. I had a new building put on my property a month and a half ago, and have been strikingly better since I moved into it. Time will help me (to some degree) gauge how much the building is responsible for this. But with this illness nothing is black and white. My definition of this would be moving out of a building with known mold issues and experiencing traumatic improvement which is what happened to me when I moved out of my moldy house onto the carport. I went from bedridden just able to feed myself and take care of immediate needs like showering, getting and preparing foods, managing finances, etc. To being somewhat functional, socialize somewhat, do moderately physically demanding things like lite work but not able to work and function like I was before the illness.

My new building:
    https://antares4141.wixsite.com/website

I did post a while back called "reality tv show"

https://forums.phoenixrising.me/ind...-24-cfs-me-patients-move-out-to-desert.55450/

Still interested in trying to make this work. My biggest issue now is liability. I need to get somebody to draw me up a contract to protect myself. And I need an insurer that would recognize the unusual circumstances and be willing to insure me for them.

And after all the money I have spent already this barrier is going to be the most difficult to overcome.

See more popular forum discussions.