• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Non-coeliac gluten sensitivity — a look at the evidence

xchocoholic

Great article. I'm still seeing that they are only attributing digestive symptoms with gluten in celiacs. Most of the celiacs I know report other symptoms too.

I know one who just gets argumentative and has no digestive complaints. One who gets hand pain. Several reported ataxia. I get insomnia, myoclonus and a few spots that are probably DH.

With all the biopsy proven celiacs out there this would be an easy study.

They've really missed the boat on this.

tc .. x

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
There are other threads on this - do a title search for 'gluten'.

Two that I started are here and here.

It's very unfair that only coeliacs can get gluten-free food on prescription in the UK. I wonder whether that is one reason for the repeated official denials that non-coeliac gluten sensitivity exists...a broadening of the free prescription criteria would be rather expensive for governments with free healthcare systems.

Valentijn

I get full body swelling from gluten and some other foods, though I don't have a proper allergy. It's noticeable even to doctors :D