1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Phoenix Rising Adds Two New Board Members
Mark Berry introduces the new President of Phoenix Rising, Dr. Gary Solomon, and welcomes Professor Jonathan Edwards to the Phoenix Rising Board of Directors.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Gluten Sensitivity Without Celiac Disease — A New Twist

Discussion in 'The Gut: De Meirleir & Maes; H2S; Leaky Gut' started by MeSci, Oct 28, 2013.

1. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    Apologies if this has already been posted, and I hope it's in the right forum, but I note some other threads in this forum that refer to FODMAPS.

From http://www.jwatch.org/na32277/2013/...eliac-disease-new-twist?query=topic_nutrition

2. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Interesting stuff ... one thing I found recently when looking at my rare 23andMe data is that I am homozygous for a very rare genotype on the MGAM gene, which involves the breakdown of oligosaccharides. I wonder if that might be responsible for my "gluten" and other intolerances. It's at rs12703419 with CC as the very rare version, though CT is pretty rare as well.
    MeSci likes this.
  3. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    I certainly think it likely that many of us have an abnormality of carb metabolism, hence our improvement on a low-carb diet.

I'm slightly dismayed at the possibility that my low-GI sweetener xylitol may be problematic, being a polyol, but I don't like unsweetened hot drinks and don't know of any other suitable sweetener. Maybe the small amount I have isn't a problem (I hope!).
  4. xchocoholic

xchocoholic Senior Member

Florida
    Certainly the author of this paper knows that even some celiacs can eat gluten without feeling anything.

Looking at antibodies or villi would've been more scientific.
  5. xchocoholic

Florida
    My problem with carbs appears to be from hyperinsulinemia. I felt horrible, sweats, sleepy, nauseas, during the gtt plus insulin and recognize
    this if I've had too many carbs.
  6. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    The paper is about people without celiac disease.
  7. xchocoholic

Florida
    Yes I know. But if some celiacs can eat gluten without feeling it then why assume others will feel anything.

Tests to confirm reactions woulda been helpful.
  8. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    Oh, OK. I didn't realise some celiacs could eat gluten without getting reactions.
    xchocoholic likes this.
  9. xchocoholic

Florida
    Forgot to say that based on the info I've seen in the gf world in the last 8 years, the medical professionals involved in the upcoming gluten summit are the experts in this arena. : ) tc ... x

See more popular forum discussions.