• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Gluten Sensitivity Without Celiac Disease — A New Twist

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Apologies if this has already been posted, and I hope it's in the right forum, but I note some other threads in this forum that refer to FODMAPS.

From http://www.jwatch.org/na32277/2013/...eliac-disease-new-twist?query=topic_nutrition

September 19, 2013

Gluten Sensitivity Without Celiac Disease — A New Twist

Allan S. Brett, MD reviewing Biesiekierski JR et al. Gastroenterology 2013 Aug.

Dietary constituents called “FODMAPs” complicate the idea of nonceliac gluten sensitivity.

Some people without celiac disease report gastrointestinal intolerance to gluten-containing foods. In 2011, Australian researchers conducted a controlled-diet study that boosted the case for “nonceliac gluten sensitivity” (NEJM JW Gen Med Apr 5 2011). Now, the same group has explored whether “FODMAPs” (Fermentable, Oligo-, Di-, Monosaccharides, And Polyols) might confound the perceived response to a gluten-free diet. FODMAPs are fermentable, poorly absorbed, short-chain carbohydrates that include fructose, lactose, fructans (found in wheat), galactans, and polyol sweeteners.

The trial included 37 patients with irritable bowel syndrome who reported gluten sensitivity, and whose evaluations for celiac disease were negative. During a 2-week run-in period, all patients followed a gluten-free, low-FODMAP diet. Then, in a randomized, double-blind, crossover format, each patient received high-gluten, low-gluten, and no-gluten diets (1 week for each diet, separated by 2-week washout periods).

During the low-FODMAP run-in period, mean symptom scores improved significantly. However, symptoms worsened during each of the three double-blind treatments — with no differences between the high-gluten, low-gluten, and no-gluten periods. Twenty-two patients repeated the whole study with 3-day (rather than 7-day) food challenges, and with dairy products and chemical food additives also eliminated from their diets. Again, symptoms worsened just as much with the no-gluten diet as with the gluten-containing diets.

Apologies if this has already been posted, and I hope it's in the right forum, but I note some other threads in this forum that refer to FODMAPS.

From http://www.jwatch.org/na32277/2013/...eliac-disease-new-twist?query=topic_nutrition
Interesting stuff ... one thing I found recently when looking at my rare 23andMe data is that I am homozygous for a very rare genotype on the MGAM gene, which involves the breakdown of oligosaccharides. I wonder if that might be responsible for my "gluten" and other intolerances. It's at rs12703419 with CC as the very rare version, though CT is pretty rare as well.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Interesting stuff ... one thing I found recently when looking at my rare 23andMe data is that I am homozygous for a very rare genotype on the MGAM gene, which involves the breakdown of oligosaccharides. I wonder if that might be responsible for my "gluten" and other intolerances. It's at rs12703419 with CC as the very rare version, though CT is pretty rare as well.

I certainly think it likely that many of us have an abnormality of carb metabolism, hence our improvement on a low-carb diet.

I'm slightly dismayed at the possibility that my low-GI sweetener xylitol may be problematic, being a polyol, but I don't like unsweetened hot drinks and don't know of any other suitable sweetener. Maybe the small amount I have isn't a problem (I hope!).

xchocoholic

Certainly the author of this paper knows that even some celiacs can eat gluten without feeling anything.

Looking at antibodies or villi would've been more scientific.

xchocoholic

My problem with carbs appears to be from hyperinsulinemia. I felt horrible, sweats, sleepy, nauseas, during the gtt plus insulin and recognize
this if I've had too many carbs.

xchocoholic

Yes I know. But if some celiacs can eat gluten without feeling it then why assume others will feel anything.

Tests to confirm reactions woulda been helpful.

xchocoholic

Forgot to say that based on the info I've seen in the gf world in the last 8 years, the medical professionals involved in the upcoming gluten summit are the experts in this arena. : ) tc ... x