August 8th, 2016: Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
Jody Smith joins with other ME voices in honor of Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

LED red intranasal light therapy

Discussion in 'Alternative Therapies' started by Lou, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Chris

Chris Senior Member

Victoria, BC
    Thanks for that info--strikes me as a very high price for those who already have an Alpha--would need to see some serious research results before I spend that kind of money. I think they rather messed up the introduction of the Gamma--the first Alpha had already shown some good results with Alzheimer's (as had the 810 at a much more modest level)--they should have introduced a dual model instead of just adding the Gamma as an alternative, with very little info with which to guide a choice. But I guess they are really focused on trying to hit the bigtime with a successful treatment for Alzheimer's, and I can't blame them too much for that.

2. raghav

raghav Senior Member

India
    @Chris As I said I will try hacking the control unit and see if there is a timer for the frequency generation. If the timer is outside the logic chip then I can get it swapped at the local mobile phone repair shop. In fact I might try to make it a kind of dual unit. Lets see. :D

3. Chris

Chris Senior Member

Victoria, BC
    @raghav--wow--brave! I will wait and see --since there is some (not much, but some) evidence that the Alpha 10Hz has some benefit in AD, and we really don't know much about how either affects ME (except that I am pretty convinced that it is very possible to overtreat ME) I will hold on and continue using my Alpha and back that up with the 810 and 633. I will take another few treatments with my MED-X capsules set at 40Hz to try to convince myself whether or not there is some special benefit of that rate with ME.

4. debored13

debored13 Senior Member

Vermont, school in Western MA
    I have looked at some of the research compiled on this stuff. I am fairly convinced. Only thing is I don't know what to get. I'm on a budget, but I don't wanna be "penny wise and pound foolish" as it seems wattage makes a difference when penetrating skin. On the other hand I don't wanna buy an expensive device if I don't need to.

@Hip any thoughts?

5. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Yes, build your own for just a few $ using the approaches outlined in this post and this post, which are to use cheap prewired LEDs or a $10 infrared illuminator spotlight.

Using the infrared illuminator detailed in the second post, I noticed a mild increase in awareness of incidental details in the environment around me, which I describe in this post.

helen1 likes this.
  6. debored13

debored13 Senior Member

interesting that you got increased fatigue from it.

I was considering using both red light and infrared (not at the same time) and trying to apply it to the area around my thyroid... might be easier to penetrate than a skull. However, with my brain fog, haven't quite been able to do the math on mW/c2 and figure out if the affordable red light and infrared devices would meet the doses used in studies

7. debored13

debored13 Senior Member

It seems like people get dramatic results on surface level things like wounds and skin, but less dramatic results for cognition and fatigue. But the science is there that it does work for things more than skin deep--like hypothyroidism, arthritis, heart issues... I guess the issue is mainly if you can do it without medical grade lasers.

helen1 likes this.
  8. Jamo77

Jamo77

@perchance dreamer are you still experiencing the mental benefits by using the VLGamma?

@raghav what a shame sounded so promising. I have found quite a few things that have helped my health but they usually prove temporary. It seems the body tends back toward the lower baseline.

9. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    I'd like to sell my Vielight 810, if anyone is interested in a gently used version. It still works perfectly and is in almost like new condition. I bought it for $499, will sell it for $250. Let me know if interested!

10. perchance dreamer

perchance dreamer Senior Member

@Jamo77, sorry about my delay in replying. No, I'm not still getting the benefits from my Gamma. I don't know if it's because it's fixed some problems so no longer feels dramatic, or if it just doesn't work for me anymore. At some point, I will got back for a neurofeedback session and have my therapist look at my EEG before a Gamma session and then after.

If my brain does show some improvement after a session, I'll keep using it even though I don't feel benefits from it. I probably had a concussion 5 months ago, and my father had Alzheimer's, so I'm very interested in anything that can help my brain.

11. Chris

Chris Senior Member

Victoria, BC
    I may have made a discovery; I am sure most of you are following the Dichloroacetate story as a supplement to the ongoing Naviaux story--metabolomics of ME, Surinam for ADS, next--Surinam for us? Meanwhile Comhaire and DCA may be an inferior substitute. I also have a Vielight Neuro Alpha, and have recently been using it daily. Simultaneously I have taken a break from my DCA, and have been losing the benefits I felt I had been gaining. In reading Naviaux' 2015 paper on using Suramin on mice used to model ADS, I came across this: "Interestingly, many of the neuroprotective and anti-inflammatory effects of minocycline have been traced to its actions on mitochondrial function..and may also act to decrease hyperpurinergia by moderating mitochondrial ATP synthesis." I have not used minocycline, but extra-cellular ATP is one of the key purinergic signaling molecules aimed at by Suramin and other anti-purinergic drugs like DCA, and an increase in ATP is one of the claimed benefits of using LLLT as in the Neuro, focused on the cytochrome thing in Complex 4 of the Electron Transport Chain. So I wonder if the two interventions are working at cross-purposes--so I shall quit using the Neuro while taking DCA and see if that helps. I am taking a short break right now, but will report again after restarting DCA without the Neuro in a couple of days. And maybe this is a clue to why LLLT seems to have been less successful at increasing our energy than we had hoped.

See more popular forum discussions.