Volunteer opportunity: Organizing Phoenix Rising articles
This section contains all the articles that have been published by Phoenix Rising over the years. As you will see if you browse here, some of the articles are outdated--either the research has been superseded or retracted or the article features an event or campaign that is now in...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

How young doctors view us?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by AlwaysTired, Aug 17, 2018.

1. AlwaysTired

AlwaysTired Senior Member

Hey,

So I just stumbled on this thread of young doctors discussing the docuseries Afflicted, which for those who don't know, follows someone with ME, four people with Chronic Lyme, and others with mold toxicity, MCS and electrosensitivity.

Incredibly disheartened to see them (the doctors) all making fun of us, thinking we're crazy, or faking it to get SSDI. Hoping others will chime in (I already did) to set them straight.

Anyway, here's the thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/medicine/comments/975rvy/who_has_started_watching_afflicted_new/

jesse's mom, AnnaDove, Mel9 and 4 others like this.
  2. Dechi

Dechi Senior Member

Oh my god that is so infuriating ! The way this serie was done sure gives a lot of latitude to anyone wanting to make a mockery of these people and their illnesses. I don’t know if I should cry or yell...

jesse's mom, ahmo, Mel9 and 3 others like this.
  3. Mary

Mary Moderator

Southern California
    @AlwaysTired - wow - that was horrible. I scrolled though it rather quickly, it's hard to read! :cry: I saw your comment at the very end, it was very good. I don't know if they were all doctors but there definitely were some medical "professionals" (using the term loosely!) in there.

The only illness that a few of them sort of acknowledged might be real was ME/CFS. If I can figure out how to post a response, I will direct them to research re the 2-day CPET test and ME/CFS.

eta: I can't figure it out - how do you post a comment on reddit?

4. Dechi

Dechi Senior Member

You might have to create and account and log in. Did you try that ?

jesse's mom, Mary and Mel9 like this.
  5. lauluce

lauluce as long as you manage to stay alive, there's hope

argentina
    they see us as nuts, surelly, young and old alike

jesse's mom, Mel9, Mary and 1 other person like this.
  6. 5150

5150 Senior Member

And I see them as brain-dead. Go to my appointments with me... you will understand that most know NOTHING about our lives of illness. N O T H I N G .

jesse's mom, lauluce, keenly and 5 others like this.
  7. Mary

Mary Moderator

Southern California
    Actually I am logged in but don't see anywhere I can post a response. I just saw that this is a forum for medical "professionals" - hah!

Whoops - I just figured it out. I have to click on the link at the top of the thread and then a window pops open where I can type a comment.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    Mel9 and AlwaysTired like this.
  8. Mary

Mary Moderator

Southern California
    I just posted a comment.

Joh, Judee, Mel9 and 1 other person like this.
  9. AlwaysTired

Thank you, Mary. I hope others will do the same. My Reddit handle is hamsters_everywhere, if you want to see mine. I do think having some of us show up and speak out will have an impact

Also I down voted some of the more horrible comments, which is another thing people can do

Joh and Mary like this.
  10. AlwaysTired

Just read your comment. What an awesome reply. I wish I were that concise and articulate.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    Mary likes this.
  11. AlwaysTired

I honestly think these folks, because they're young and cocky, would sit up and listen if given a dose of reality. Especially if they see how much their attitudes harm and hurt us.

lauluce, percyval577 and Mary like this.
  12. Mary

Mary Moderator

Southern California
    Good job! :thumbsup: Someone made a snarky comment not worthy of a reply after mine. It's really not worth the energy it would take to respond.

Judee likes this.
  13. percyval577

percyval577 Senior Member

My GP has eventually students, and I got to tell my story to one. She was touched. [And i could tell that I was imrpoving at least in some respects.] But later it obviously turned out that I was "wrong".

[But because I could tell some reasons to the student I hope at least that she was/stayed not all influenced by the doctor.]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    AlwaysTired and Mary like this.
  14. sb4

sb4 Senior Member

United Kingdom
    Yeah, reading those comments was a bad idea. Makes me very irritated at the ignorance of most people who would smugly consider themselves informed because they blindly believe whatever mainstream science says on the issue and bash anyone who doesn't.

Mary likes this.
  15. percyval577

percyval577 Senior Member

@sb4 I just edited my post to make it a bit positive. Well ... I cannot understand that - often enough - an assessment that we could be possibly right is out of reach. I am concerned, but times might change. And it seems that we are getting slowly some wind in our sails.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    AlwaysTired, Mary and sb4 like this.
  16. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Ummm, what they have been told is mainstream science. Right now mainstream science is saying ME is a complicated multisystem immune and metabolic disorder, with lots of neurological involvement. Doctors who are not following a topic do not typically read the science, they read medical reviews.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  17. keenly

keenly Senior Member

UK
    Care not about the ignorant. How do you see yourself?

Doctors do an immense amount of harm in society. I do not respect medical schools whatsoever.

ScottTriGuy, lauluce and Dmitri like this.
  18. keenly

keenly Senior Member

UK
    I have to dumb things down when talking to most doctors. They are a joke.

outdamnspot and lauluce like this.
  19. ChrisD

ChrisD Senior Member

East Sussex
    Atleast the section where they discuss Jamison and ME/CFS is a bit more appreciative of ME/CFS being an organic disorder, or are those comments added by patients?

The arrogance of young doctors is really an issue, but by putting myself in their shoes, I can understand it. You go through six+ gruelling years of med school, being brainwashed with the curriculum, you cling on to everything you are taught like its the bible and aren't taught to think outside the box intuitively as you don't have any spare time or energy for that. Then receiving your medical degree is this accomplishment that noone is then permitted to contest in the doctors office of on the ward. (It's definitely not ok to ridicule patients though)

So then we find ourselves in a position of conflict between an individuals ego and a patients life... something needs to change.

I am really intrigued to know whether in regards to MCS, EHS and Mold illness, they simply think they do not exist at all and it is a mental condition that patients have chosen to focus on that particular area. You would think that there first question would be 'how did this start?' if it was an intuitive doctor, which would lead to a patient answer of something like 'One day I picked up my phone and had immense crapping and shooting pains through my arm' (which was actually want happened with me - although I don't have these sensitivities any more)

percyval577, bertiedog, sb4 and 3 others like this.
  20. Dmitri

Dmitri Senior Member

NYC
    Lawyers have a reputation of being scum, but I see no reason why doctors (with exceptions, obviously) should not be looked at with the same scrutiny. Until doctors are stopped being looked at as heroes and geniuses, the incentive for them to actually do their jobs will continue being low.

See more popular forum discussions.