• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How young doctors view us?

AlwaysTired

Hey,

So I just stumbled on this thread of young doctors discussing the docuseries Afflicted, which for those who don't know, follows someone with ME, four people with Chronic Lyme, and others with mold toxicity, MCS and electrosensitivity.

Incredibly disheartened to see them (the doctors) all making fun of us, thinking we're crazy, or faking it to get SSDI. Hoping others will chime in (I already did) to set them straight.

Anyway, here's the thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/medicine/comments/975rvy/who_has_started_watching_afflicted_new/

Dechi

Oh my god that is so infuriating ! The way this serie was done sure gives a lot of latitude to anyone wanting to make a mockery of these people and their illnesses. I don’t know if I should cry or yell...

Mary

Moderator Resource
@AlwaysTired - wow - that was horrible. I scrolled though it rather quickly, it's hard to read! :cry: I saw your comment at the very end, it was very good. I don't know if they were all doctors but there definitely were some medical "professionals" (using the term loosely!) in there.

The only illness that a few of them sort of acknowledged might be real was ME/CFS. If I can figure out how to post a response, I will direct them to research re the 2-day CPET test and ME/CFS.

eta: I can't figure it out - how do you post a comment on reddit?

Dechi

@AlwaysTired - wow - that was horrible. I scrolled though it rather quickly, it's hard to read! :cry: I saw your comment at the very end, it was very good. I don't know if they were all doctors but there definitely were some medical "professionals" (using the term loosely!) in there.

The only illness that a few of them sort of acknowledged might be real was ME/CFS. If I can figure out how to post a response, I will direct them to research re the 2-day CPET test and ME/CFS.

You might have to create and account and log in. Did you try that ?

Mary

Moderator Resource
You might have to create and account and log in. Did you try that ?
Actually I am logged in but don't see anywhere I can post a response. I just saw that this is a forum for medical "professionals" - hah!

Whoops - I just figured it out. I have to click on the link at the top of the thread and then a window pops open where I can type a comment.

Last edited:

AlwaysTired

Thank you, Mary. I hope others will do the same. My Reddit handle is hamsters_everywhere, if you want to see mine. I do think having some of us show up and speak out will have an impact

Also I down voted some of the more horrible comments, which is another thing people can do

AlwaysTired

Just read your comment. What an awesome reply. I wish I were that concise and articulate.

Last edited:

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
My GP has eventually students, and I got to tell my story to one. She was touched. [And i could tell that I was imrpoving at least in some respects.] But later it obviously turned out that I was "wrong".

[But because I could tell some reasons to the student I hope at least that she was/stayed not all influenced by the doctor.]

Last edited:

sb4

Yeah, reading those comments was a bad idea. Makes me very irritated at the ignorance of most people who would smugly consider themselves informed because they blindly believe whatever mainstream science says on the issue and bash anyone who doesn't.

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
@sb4 I just edited my post to make it a bit positive. Well ... I cannot understand that - often enough - an assessment that we could be possibly right is out of reach. I am concerned, but times might change. And it seems that we are getting slowly some wind in our sails.

Last edited:

alex3619

they blindly believe whatever mainstream science says
Ummm, what they have been told is mainstream science. Right now mainstream science is saying ME is a complicated multisystem immune and metabolic disorder, with lots of neurological involvement. Doctors who are not following a topic do not typically read the science, they read medical reviews.

Last edited:

ChrisD

Atleast the section where they discuss Jamison and ME/CFS is a bit more appreciative of ME/CFS being an organic disorder, or are those comments added by patients?

The arrogance of young doctors is really an issue, but by putting myself in their shoes, I can understand it. You go through six+ gruelling years of med school, being brainwashed with the curriculum, you cling on to everything you are taught like its the bible and aren't taught to think outside the box intuitively as you don't have any spare time or energy for that. Then receiving your medical degree is this accomplishment that noone is then permitted to contest in the doctors office of on the ward. (It's definitely not ok to ridicule patients though)

So then we find ourselves in a position of conflict between an individuals ego and a patients life... something needs to change.

I am really intrigued to know whether in regards to MCS, EHS and Mold illness, they simply think they do not exist at all and it is a mental condition that patients have chosen to focus on that particular area. You would think that there first question would be 'how did this start?' if it was an intuitive doctor, which would lead to a patient answer of something like 'One day I picked up my phone and had immense crapping and shooting pains through my arm' (which was actually want happened with me - although I don't have these sensitivities any more)

Dmitri

Care not about the ignorant. How do you see yourself?

Doctors do an immense amount of harm in society. I do not respect medical schools whatsoever.

Lawyers have a reputation of being scum, but I see no reason why doctors (with exceptions, obviously) should not be looked at with the same scrutiny. Until doctors are stopped being looked at as heroes and geniuses, the incentive for them to actually do their jobs will continue being low.