• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How to Improve Potassium Concentration in the Cell?

JasonUT

Hello All,

Up to this point, most of the discussion seems to be about increasing Potassium consumption as methylation starts-up.

However, I haven't seen much discussion on how to improve the concentration or utilization of potassium in the cell, and how to improve the potassium transfer into the cell. I stumbled upon a few links that may help the discussion. Perhaps, there is some inefficiency in the K+/Na transfer which is causing a lot of electrolyte waste. Is this a real problem for us or am I barking up the wrong tree?

The last link suggests two methods for passing K+ through the cells.
1. Passive based on electrochemical gradient
2. Na/Ka+ pump. However, per the 3rd link, this method requires ATP which we may be low.

Internal potassium stimulates the sodium-potassium pump by increasing cell ATP concentration
Reverse Mitochondrial Damage 101
How to Increase Cell Volume for Fast Muscle Growth
How Is Potassium Transported?