• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Reverse Mitochondrial Damage 101

Radio

Lipid replacement therapy can potentially help everyone in this forum. It does not matter which subgroup of CFS/ME you are in. The core of the problem has always been acquired mitochondrial damage. Repairing the Mitochondrial is the first step in healing.This is one of the missing links in the chain to recovery. At this point, the fact is, we need Mitochondrial support.

The Mitochondria can becomes damaged and leaky from an overload of metabolic waste. Phospholipids and glycolipids can repair cellular membranes by increasing cell membrane fluidity. By repairing these membranes we allow our cells to increase their nutrient uptake so that the mitochondria may product more ATP.

Acquired mitochondrial damage is a normal part of aging, but is accelerated in chronic fatigue syndrome and many other metabolic disorders. We must address this before complete healing can be initiated. Phospholipids replacement therapy and eating a super clean diet is the first critical steps in repairing this damage. Chronic deficiencies and Methylation imbalance destroys the mitochondrial membranes and lead to the modern day diseases we see today.

How I Heal My Mitochondria, (Simplified Recovery Protocol)

1. Super clean diet (The low histamine Chef Diet + Organic rice) No coffee, No table salt (Just Eat Real Food).

2. High dose Phospholipid therapy, NT Factor powder or Smart Youthful Energy Wafers 2-4xday Look for link at the bottom of this page. BodyBio PC is another supplement to consider if you have the money. Digestive supplementation is recommended to increase the absorption of the phospholipids.

3. Mineral Deficiencies Support, Pure encapsulations Mineral 650 or Pure encapsulations Trace Mineral 1xday...look for link at bottom of this page.

4. Low Dose Methylation Support, Fred's B12 Methylation Protocol <---(last step), Also, Limit P5P (pyridoxal-5-phosphate) inhibits PST (phenol sulphur-transferase) activity. P5P is not water soluble and can build up in the body damaging the peripheral nervous system.

I have discovered that if I focused on supporting the mitochondria first, I was able to tolerate the B12 protocol with out triggering the potassium depletion. Also, my cells needed less active B vitamins because absorption into the cell was increased dramatically.

By repairing the mitochondria first, we allow our cells to increase their nutrient uptake so that methylation support will have the most dramatic effect. Lipid replacement therapy is a critical step in balancing methylation without over-driving this metabolism.

NT Factor
does not contain any soy proteins, the source of soy antigens that cause allergic reactions.
The phospholipids extracted from soy are exactly the same phospholipids that are in your cell membranes of every cell in your body.

The advantage of NT Factor over foods ( Soy ) that contain lipids is that NT Factor lipids are protected from oxidative damage during storage, digestion and intake into your body. Food lipids are not protected, and you are taking in oxidative-damaged lipids as well as natural lipids.

Lipid Replacement Therapy
Lipid replacement therapy (LRT) has been used along with other strategies, such as antioxidant therapy, to replace damaged or oxidized cellular lipids that accumulate during aging and in various clinical conditions. Differing from traditional lipid nutritional supplementation, LTR replacement lipids are protected from oxidation and damage during storage, ingestion and digestion. Important lipids that require constant replacement are phospholipids, glycophospholipids and other lipids that make up cellular and organelle membranes, especially mitochondrial membranes. Decreased mitochondrial function and loss in the efficiency of the electron transport chain are related to aging and fatigue. Oxidative damage to mitochondria, mainly from Reactive Oxygen Species (ROS), results in peroxidation of cellular and mitochondrial lipids, proteins and DNA, but it is ROS damage to mitochondrial membrane lipids that may cause the most rapid loss of mitochondrial function. LRT along with antioxidants can circumvent ROS membrane damage and replace and restore mitochondrial and other cellular membrane functions via delivery of replacement lipids in their unoxidized, undamaged states. Recent clinical trials have shown the benefit of LRT plus antioxidants in restoring mitochondrial electron transport function and reducing fatigue. Look for the NT factor with phospholipids (only) with "NO" add supplements. It has to be just plan NT Factor.

NT Factor Proprietary Lipid Blend 12,00mg
Phosphatidic acid (PA)
Phosphatidyl-choline (PC)
Phosphatidyl-ethanolamine (PE)
Phosphatidyl-glycerol(PG)
Phosphatidyl-inositol (PI)
Phosphatidyl-serine (PS)
Digalactosyldiacylglyceride (DGDG)
Monoglactosyldiacylglyceride (MGDG)

Nicolson 2014 - Use of Natural Supplements to Improve Mitochondrial Function (CFS)
Full paper available here:
http://functionalfoodscenter.net/files/81845995.pdf

CFS - The Central Cause: Mitochondrial Failure

http://drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/CFS_-_The_Central_Cause:_Mitochondrial_Failure

BodyBio PC

E-Lyte's BodyBio PC is a concentrated Phosphatidyl Choline/Lecithin product. It is available in liquid or capsule form. Clearly with the liquid then although you need to measure it up, there is no capsule consumption each time. Each capsule contains 900mg of 'phospholipid complex'. Of this 900mg of phospholipid complex, approximately 450-605mg is Phosphatidyl Choline, according to the manufacturer's UK distributor, although this fact is not stated on the product packaging. According to this source, the average content of Phosphatidyl Choline per capsule is 528mg, with and a smaller amount of Phosphatidyl Ethanolamine and Phosphatidyl Inositol and minor glycolipids. If this is indeed correct, then it would make it the most concentrated source of Phosphatidyl Choline capsule on the market, at 58%. The quoted phospholipid content is quoted at 66%.

BodyBio PC also contains a 4:1 ratio of Linoleic Acid (LA - Omega 6) and Alpha-Linolenic Acid (ALA - Omega 3) Essential Fatty Acids (EFA), but it is not known what the exact ratio of Lecithin concentrate to EFAs that make up the 900mg of 'Phospholipid Compex'. The ingredients state that the total fat content is 900mg, of which the saturated fat content is 200mg, the polynunsaturated fat content is 600mg and the monounsaturated fat content is 110mg. As the ingredients do not specify the exact amounts of each, and polyunsaturates describes both the Phospholipids (propotion of the Lecithin) and the Essential Fatty Acids, then it is not very helpful (presumably for anti-competitive reasons). However, the figures cannot be quite correct as the ingredients are listed as being solely fat, yet the total calories per capsule is 9 (of which 8 come from fat - the other 9% coming from carbohydrates - which are not listed on the ingredients).

BodyBio PC is also available in liquid form, where 1 tsp (teaspoon) contains 1500-1800mg of Phosphatidyl Choline.

The target daily dosage of Body Bio PC capsules is 4 capsules twice a day (or 3 capsules three times a day - which is slightly more), providing between 3.6 - 4.85g of Phosphatidyl Choline.

You may wish to increase the dosage over time, but this is best done with advice from your medical practitioner. Some people, including myself, have found at certain points in time that taking 4 capsules 3 times a day (i.e. a total of 12, providing between 5.4 - 7.25g of Phosphatidyl Choline) is a comfortable upper limit (after a few months at 8 capsules a day). This clearly depends on the individual however. Indeed at other times, a much reduced limit was tolerated, depending on general liver health and glucuonidation pathway efficiency in the liver.

The integrity of mitochondrial membranes is critical to cell function and energy metabolism. This membrane is the frontier between cell survival and death.

Lipid Replacement Therapy®, Fatigue and Dysbiosis – the Mitochondrial and Immune Connection http://www.nleducation.co.uk/resour...osis-the-mitochondrial-and-immune-connection/

Lipid Replacement Therapy with a Glycophospholipid Formulation with NADH and CoQ10 Significantly Reduces Fatigue in Intractable Chronic Fatiguing Illnesses and Chronic Lyme Disease Patients
http://www.scirp.org/journal/PaperInformation.aspx?paperID=19382#.UvwAGbRYw-8

A Modern Approach to the Treatment of Mitochondrial Disease

http://www.epidemicanswers.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Modern-Approach-to-Treatment-of-Mito.pdf

Supplements

BodyBio PC
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001169CF6...=UTF8&colid=STE6K5DNMJYK&coliid=IJ444PD8I5XBI

Now foods super enzymes
http://www.iherb.com/search?sug=now foods super enzymes&kw=now foods su&rank=4#p=1

NT Factor (Nutri cology Nt factor) http://www.iherb.com/Nutricology-NT-Factor-EnergyLipids-Powder-150-grams/45698#p=1&oos=1&disc=0&lc=en-US&w=NT Factor (Nutri cology Nt factor)&rc=12&sr=null&ic=3

Smart Youthful Energy Wafers www.amazon.com/Energy-Chewable-Wafers-Factor-Lipids/dp/B00DMINPRM

Pure encapsulations Mineral 650 1xday or Pure encapsulations Trace Mineral 1xday
http://www.iherb.com/Pure-Encapsula...apsulations Trace Mineral&rc=238&sr=null&ic=

Life Extension, Super Ubiquinol CoQ10 with Enhanced Mitochondrial Support, 50 mg, 2xday http://www.iherb.com/Life-Extension-Super-Ubiquinol-CoQ10-with-Enhanced-Mitochondrial-Support-50-mg-100-Softgels/22796#p=1&oos=1&disc=0&lc=en-US&w=Super Ubiquinol Coq-10 W Enhanced Mitochondrial&rc=8&sr=null&ic=1

Disclaimer, The information in this thread is not intended to be medical advice. The information is meant to inspire and motivate you to make your own decisions surrounding your health care and dietary needs. It is intended for educational and informational purposes only. You should not rely upon any information found on this thread to determine dietary changes, a medical diagnosis or course of treatment. Readers should perform their own research and make decisions in partnership with their own health care providers. Any statements or claims about the possible health benefits obtained from any foods or supplements mentioned on this thread have not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. The Recovery Protocol in the thread is not acting in the capacity of a doctor, licensed dietician, licensed nutritionist, psychologist or other licensed or registered professional. This thread is for educational purposes only to document that recovery is possible.

Last edited:

merylg

I'm on ATP Fuel which contains NT Factor. Finding it hard to tolerate at even two capsules/day.

It contains quite a few ingredients, so maybe there is something that doesn't agree with me???

Radio

I'm on ATP Fuel which contains NT Factor. Finding it hard to tolerate at even two capsules/day.

It contains quite a few ingredients, so maybe there is something that doesn't agree with me???
Look for the NT factor with phospholipids (only) with "NO" add supplements. It has to be just plan NT Factor.

Ema

The BodyBio PC is one of the best supplements I have taken. It is, however, ruinously expensive.

It's ever so slightly cheaper on Amazon than on the BodyBio site, but not by much.

I take 1 tablespoon twice a day with Mepron for increased absorption as well as mitochondrial repair.

I find the liquid vastly more effective than granulated lecithin but I actually find lecithin thickens protein smoothies nicely so I use it as well from time to time.

I found no effect from NT Factor unfortunately.

A.B.

What is the rationale behind exclusion of salt? Salt is clearly good for my fatigue.

Radio

What is the rationale behind exclusion of salt? Salt is clearly good for my fatigue.

We need ATP (energy) to force the sodium out of the cell and the potassium into cell...When we have weak mitochondria function...This metabolism can be overload very easy.

Table salt is not just sodium chloride. It also contains additives that are designed to make it more free-flowing. Ferrocyanide, talc, and silica aluminate are commonly included. Aluminum intake leads to neurological disorders, particularly when no selenium is provided to help the body to chelate it. Aluminum bio-accumulates inside the body, causing further degeneration over time. Talc is a known carcinogen, though its effects upon ingestion have not been heavily studied. While it was once used in baby powders, the majority of such products now use cornstarch instead of talc, because of the known health risks. The F.D.A. has a special provision to allow talc in table salt, even whilst it is prohibited in all other foods, due to toxicity issues. According to current regulations, table salt can be up to 2% talc.

Truth-about-table-salt
http://healthwyze.org/index.php/com...out-table-salt-and-the-chemical-industry.html

ATPase

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATPase

Apoptotic insults impair Na+, K+-ATPase activity
http://jcs.biologists.org/content/116/10/2099.full.pdf

Last edited:

Radio

The BodyBio PC is one of the best supplements I have taken. It is, however, ruinously expensive.

It's ever so slightly cheaper on Amazon than on the BodyBio site, but not by much.

I take 1 tablespoon twice a day with Mepron for increased absorption as well as mitochondrial repair.

I find the liquid vastly more effective than granulated lecithin but I actually find lecithin thickens protein smoothies nicely so I use it as well from time to time.

I found no effect from NT Factor unfortunately.

Hey Ema,

I needed to take Nt factor in high dose with digestive support before it had a beneficial effect on my system. Also, I needed to eat a super clean diet to control the metabolic damage, before lipid replacement therapy could have a chance to work. It's like trying to paint a house in a F5 tornado. Thanks for the informative post.

Poisoning-The-Mitochondria
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/poisoning-the-mitochondria.27790/

Last edited:

Radio

Once we repair the leaky mitochondria...The cells need less active B vitamins..P5P (pyridoxal-5-phosphate) inhibits PST (phenol sulphur-transferase) activity. P5P is not a water soluble vitamin and can build up in the body damaging the peripheral nervous system. I have found a supplement with active B's in a low enough dose that should not cause a problem.

Pure Encapsulations, O.N.E Multivitamin

% Daily Value

Vitamin A (as vitamin A acetate and 73% beta carotene) 3,750 iu 75%
Vitamin C (as ascorbic acid) 180 mg 300%
Vitamin D (as cholecalciferol) (D3) 2,000 iu 500%
Vitamin E (as d-alpha tocopherol succinate) 30 iu 100%
Thiamin (as thiamin HCl) (B1) 3 mg 200%
Riboflavin (vitamin B2) 1.7 mg 100%
Niacin (as niacinamide) 20 mg 100%
Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxine HCl) 2.5 mg 125%
Folate (as Metafolin, L-5-MTHF) 400 mcg 100%
Vitamin B12 (as methylcobalamin ) 500 mcg 8,333%
Biotin 300 mcg 100%
Pantothenic acid (as calcium pantothenate) (B5) 10 mg 100%
Iodine (as potassium iodide) 150 mcg 100%
Zinc (as zinc citrate) 25 mg 167%
Selenium (as selenomethionine) 70 mcg 100%
Manganese (as manganese citrate) 2 mg 100%
Chromium (as chromium polynicotinate) 200 mcg 167%
Molybdenum (as TRAACS molybdenum glycinate chelate) 75 mcg 100%
Ascorbyl palmitate (fat-soluble vitamin C) 10 mg *
Riboflavin 5' phosphate (activated B2) 1.7 mg *
Pyridoxal 5' phosphate (activated B6) 2.5 mg *
Boron (as boron glycinate) 1 mg *
Choline bitartrate 25 mg *
Inositol 25 mg *
Coenzyme Q10 (from MicroActive Q10-cyclodextrin complex and CoQ10) 50 mg *
Alpha lipoic acid 50 mg *
Lycopene 500 mcg *
Lutein 3 mg *
Zeaxanthin 500 mcg *
*Daily Value not established

Pure Encapsulations, O.N.E Multivitamin ( http://www.iherb.com/Pure-Encapsula...min-With-Metafolin-L-5-MTHF-60-Capsules/52461 )

Last edited:

Radio

We need to limit active B-2, B-6 (P5P) to help keep Methyltransferase and CBS regulation in check. I have been researching methyltransferase role in detoxication of intestinal hydrogen sulfide. This could be a factor in the Mitochondria / Mast cell dysfunction.

We need to heal the body in the right order to restore mitochondria function.

The 4 keys to Recovery

Diet low in fermentable substrates

2. Maintain balance in pathogenic microbial over-growth

3. Mitochondria / Mineral Support <---- Lipid replacement therapy

4. Methylation / Support <--- Last step (Freddd's Protocol)

I am now advocating testing urinary hydrogen sulphide to see if in fact we do have dysbiosis or a related metabolic problems.

Urinary hydrogen sulphide test for dysbiosis; a simple, at-home test you can order through www.proteabiopharma.com.

Last edited:

Butydoc

Hip

Hi Radio, could I ask some questions:

• There seems to be more than one product available in the Nutricology NT Factor range:
NT Factor® EnergyLipids Powder 150 grams
NT Factor® EnergyLipids Chewables 60 chewable tablets
NT Factor® Advanced Physicians Formula 150 Tablets

Which one of the above did you take, and what daily dose did you take? Did you take this supplement twice a day, or just once per day?

• Did you take NT Factor with food, or on an empty stomach?

• You say that digestive supplementation is recommended to increase the absorption of the phospholipids: I take it you are referring to stomach acid supplementation with betaine HCl, and digestive enzymes.

• How long did you take this NT Factor glycophospholipid therapy (along with the trace minerals and methylation) before you started seeing results, and improvements in your ME/CFS symptoms?

Radio

Hi Radio, could I ask some questions:

• There seems to be more than one product available in the Nutricology NT Factor range:
NT Factor® EnergyLipids Powder 150 grams
NT Factor® EnergyLipids Chewables 60 chewable tablets
NT Factor® Advanced Physicians Formula 150 Tablets

Which one of the above did you take, and what daily dose did you take? Did you take this supplement twice a day, or just once per day?

• Did you take NT Factor with food, or on an empty stomach?

• You say that digestive supplementation is recommended to increase the absorption of the phospholipids: I take it you are referring to stomach acid supplementation with betaine HCl, and digestive enzymes.

• How long did you take this NT Factor glycophospholipid therapy (along with the trace minerals and methylation) before you started seeing results, and improvements in your ME/CFS symptoms?
Hello Hip,
I found the NT Factor® Energy Lipids Powder worked the best for me. (Dose 2-4xday). I like Now foods super enzymes. Also, 2-4xday on a empty stomach. I supplemented with the lipids for 2 months and recovered soon after combined with the keys to my recovery I have outlined. I plan on utilizing lipid replacement therapy for the rest of my life. Check out my new thread, How I Recovered From CFS part 2. I give a step by step of how I recovered and the root cause of my acquired mitochondrial syndrome as well as testing information and treatment support.

Last edited:

Hip

I found the NT Factor® EnergyLipids Powder worked the best for me. (Dose 2-4xday).

You could explain what you mean by "Dose 2-4xday".

Do mean 2 grams of the NT Factor EnergyLipids Powder, taken 4 times a day?

Or 2 to 4 grams of the powder, taken once a day?

Radio

You could explain what you mean by "Dose 2-4xday".

Do mean 2 grams of the NT Factor EnergyLipids Powder, taken 4 times a day?

Or 2 to 4 grams of the powder, taken once a day?

Could you please explain what you mean by Dose 2-4xday?

1 scoop powder 2-4xday

Last edited: