May 12, 2017 Is International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day
International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day is May 12th, 2017. Jody Smith shares some information about upcoming events and ways you can be heard ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Healthwise to "retire the GET/CBT topics" from medical content

Discussion in 'Advocacy Projects' started by Webdog, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member

One of my personal advocacy projects for the past 16 months has been to try to have Healthwise remove the GET and CBT modules from their ME/CFS content.

Healthwise provides medical content for many major healthcare corporations in the United States, including Kaiser Permanente with its 13 million members.

Over the past 16 months, whenever a paper, letter, or Tuller blog post about GET/CBT appeared, I would send it off to Healthwise, asking them to consider removing GET/CBT from their ME/CFS content.

Last year, after pressure by myself and others, Healthwise downgraded GET/CBT as treatments for ME/CFS. But these modules were still included in their ME/CFS content.

Today, I got a Twitter direct message from Healthwise, soon after sending them FrankTwisk's excellent letter to The Lancet. From the message, the recent clinician summit in Salt Lake City influenced them significantly.

Healthwise will be modifying their ME/CFS content fall of 2018, including retiring the GET/CBT topics from the ME/CFS section!

It will likely take a few more months for major healthcare organizations to refresh their websites with the updated Healthwise content.

Below is the anonymized Twitter direct message from my email inbox.

healthwise.png

2. Mary

Mary Moderator

Southern California
    @Webdog - wow - Excellent job!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Wolfcub, Judee, andyguitar and 4 others like this.
  3. Diwi9

Diwi9 Administrator

USA
    This makes me so happy. Thank you @Webdog for staying on this.

Wolfcub, Starlight, Judee and 4 others like this.
  4. lafarfelue

lafarfelue Senior Member

Australia
    Great work, this is really positive! Thank you for all your effort on this :D:thumbsup::trophy:

Wolfcub, Starlight, Judee and 4 others like this.
  5. Jenny TipsforME

Jenny TipsforME Senior Member

Bristol
    Congratulations!

Wolfcub, Starlight, Mel9 and 3 others like this.
  6. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.

Toronto, Canada
    Awesome work - and inherently gratifying I bet - what ya doin' to reward yourself for the effort and success?

Wolfcub, Starlight, Judee and 5 others like this.
  7. ebethc

ebethc Senior Member

@Webdog thanks for your tenacity! this is a great win..

do they syndicate their content? I did a web audit for a couple dozen medical center sites last year... Many had the same CFS content, so it seemed syndicated.. Not sure what the origin is, though..

Wolfcub, Learner1, Starlight and 2 others like this.
  8. boombachi

boombachi Senior Member

Hampshire, UK
    Stunning work @Webdog. Very grateful for your efforts and persistence with this.

Wolfcub, Starlight and Mel9 like this.
  9. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member

Yes. At the bottom of the pages, you should see the trademarked Healthwise logo, a copyright statement, and the names of the content reviewers.

For example, here are the current GET/CBT Healthwise modules on the Kaiser Permanente website:

GET - https://healthy.kaiserpermanente.or...ncyclopedia&ctype=kb&locale=en-us&hwid=zx1021
    CBT - https://healthy.kaiserpermanente.or...ncyclopedia&ctype=kb&locale=en-us&hwid=zx1040

Prior to the web, healthcare providers used to give out booklets with Healthwise content to patients. Perhaps some still do.

10. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member

If you'd like to thank Healthwise for committing to remove the GET/CBT modules from their ME/CFS content, they have a "Contact Us" page. Healthwise deserves a big thanks for taking this step towards better care for ME/CFS patients.

https://www.healthwise.org/contact.aspx

11. ebethc

ebethc Senior Member

How often do those websites update their content from health wise? Do u know if their agreement w health wise requires them to stay updated?

Thanks

12. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member

I'm sorry, but I don't know the answer to your questions. However, Kaiser Permanente did 2 updates of their Healthwise ME/CFS content last year, I believe. In March and November.

Mel9, boombachi and ebethc like this.
  13. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member

Just wanted to say Healthwise told me yesterday me they are trying to get WebMD content updated.

shannah, Mel9, lafarfelue and 3 others like this.
  14. Neunistiva

Neunistiva Senior Member

I can't thank them because my country is not listed and they require a phone number, so I can't just pick a random country. Is there another way to thank them?

Mel9 likes this.
  15. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member

If you have a Twitter account, tweet a thank you to @Healthwise

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    Neunistiva and Mel9 like this.
  16. Neunistiva

Neunistiva Senior Member

shannah, Sandman00747, pibee and 4 others like this.
  17. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member

The Healthwise ME/CFS content update should be pushed out to the Kaiser Permanente website in mid-November. GET and CBT will be gone.

18. ebethc

ebethc Senior Member

@Webdog - thanks for keeping up the fight :)

Learner1 likes this.
  19. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member

Graded Exercise Therapy and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy are no longer recommended in the Healthwise content for ME/CFS on the Kaiser Permanente website. Yay!

See for yourself at this link:

https://healthy.kaiserpermanente.or...halomyelitis-chronic-fatigue-syndrome.hw32907

That said, 3 issues remain that I'm working with Healthwise and Kaiser Permanente to resolve:

Comet, ebethc, Learner1 and 6 others like this.
  20. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member

If you are on Twitter, consider thanking @Healthwise for removing Graded Exercise Therapy and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy from their ME/CFS content and the Kaiser Permanente website.

Alternatively, you can contact Healthwise directly on this webpage:
    https://www.healthwise.org/contact.aspx

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    ebethc, Learner1 and Neunistiva like this.

See more popular forum discussions.