• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B-12 - The Hidden Story

Thanks ahmo & cort

Still getting linked to ourhealth.com from embedded links instead of wrongdiagnosis thread.

Re why gut issues/toxic overload/autism, Parkinson's etc,etc,etc--Interesting article

Asking one more time. Anyone else trying the embedded links to Wrongdiagnosis.com/ /1=1#post276448

getting hijacked to
Our health.com/showthread.php?p=276448&posted=1

Have a couple of questions. Just found the active b 12 thread and see the info on folic acid. Just received 2 bottles of Jarrow B Right. Pretty sure I overmethylate--any opinion on whether I could safely use the B Right? Have been reading Walsh (Nutrient Power, etc)--"...folic acid can reduce chromatin methylation due to folate's powerful role in enzymatic methylation of histones..." Do you think he's treating folic acid as identical to folate here? Fred used the B Right for a long time. The histones are key to gene expression, and I've got a number of the snp's that Yasko identifies as critical in methylation. Also have an autistic grandson with snps on the Yasko protocol, and her All-In-One has folic acid. Concerns there, obviously.

Re the glutamate, glutathione etc issue. I was using the Great Lakes Collagen Hydrolysate but stopped. I'm seeing a difference in my skin, hair and nails and would like to add it back in. It has a lot of amino acids but I'm wondering if the glycine (29%) and the glutamic acid (11%) are problematic?

Have a story I'll share when I have time. Been doing a variety of nutrient therapy for a long time with indifferent success, but seeing results on fredds protocol.

ahmo

Here's a comment from Fred re his current B comp, as of June/July 2014.

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/ten-years-of-healing-no-more- congestive-heart-failure-fms-cfs-and-minus-100-pounds.25788/page-2#post-403

I am taking no extra B1, B2 or b3, just the amount in the low dose b-complex mentioned before; 10-20mg or so each per day in 2 doses. All three increased the amount of potassium and folate needed and reduced actually healing till at the end I couldn’t take enough of either and healing was going backwards. I am remaining quite stable now at about 1500mg of potassium and 4-6mg of Metafolin. I have thickening of my nails again at some point some months ago when I discontinued the extras, my actual cell formation increased. The requirements for 3000+mg of potassium and 20+mg of Metafolin came down in a few days after I discontinued the extra bs. ....I suggest that a low dose b-complex without folic acid and without CyCbl, E, C, A, D.........NatureMade B-complex with C, List # 1338. This has 15mg of thiamin,10.2mg of Riboflavin and 50mg of Niacin, 5mg b-6 and 10mg pantothenic acid.

Up to p 110 and reading the posts about potassium. I've taken up to 1200 mg magnesium before bed for years for cramps and restless legs. After reading ahmo's posts I added the potassium and have been able to back off on the mg by half. This is great since even the glycinate is super lax for me.

Last edited:
We've been following the yasko protocol for my autistic grandson for about two months now, and are seeing big changes. People may question till hell freezes over, but as long as there is no help forthcoming from our md's, we will continue to research yasko, neulander, fredd and others and implement their suggestions (mindfully) till hell thaws out.

I want to share my family’s story. My three girls, my grandchild and my husband all have symptoms of poor methylation, but I want to start with my experience since it’s how I discovered methylation.

I was hospitalized for 16 days in February 2013 with acute pancreatitis. In the first days my confused plethora of doctors transfused me, and gave me a b-12 shot every day for a week. The transfusion was a mistake. I have beta thalassemia minor, and my normal hb is around 9. My ferritin soared to nearly 600. According to my records, the b-12 was hydroxyl, but even before I was released, I was feeling its effects. I lost 20 pounds in the hospital, and another 30 over the next six months. For six months I had the kind of energy I’ve heard people talk about but never experienced, even as a child. I had clarity and focus. I saw muscle begin to build when I exercised. I rediscovered my libido (actually the first thing I noticed before I even got out of the hospital). I felt reborn, and when the effects began to fade not quite six months later, I tried to find out why.

Everything got thrown into the pot. I went grain free, and pretty much paleo. I tried vinegar, dmso, castor oil, herbs, high dose supplementing with vitamin c and niacin—all useful but not the answer.

My primary provider was unimpressed with my story, but my hair was so noticeably thin (it worsened after being on Coumadin for a splenic clot (probably caused by inflammation from the pancreatitis) I got a referral to an endocrinologist. Despite my missing eyebrows and other hormonal symptoms, my numbers were all “normal,” and I got no help there. My hematologist just warned me not to take iron (I thought having a high hb—11—might account for my experience). I had taken b-12 before, and had been taking it again without noticeable effect, but when I researched the dangers of iron overload, I went back to b-12 after poring over my hospital records. There simply was nothing else in my treatment that I could credit with my amazing transformation. Months of reading on the internet brought me to Yasko via my autistic grandson, thence to Ron, and finally to phoenixrising and freddd’s protocol.

My symptoms (some now returning), according to freddd’s list were freezing hands and feet (also didn’t do well in hot weather despite always low body temp), bad nails and thinning hair, little body hair (didn’t shave for years), restless legs and cramping, chronic sinusitis—repeated bouts of bronchitis and hospitalized twice for pneumonia with coughing so bad I broke ribs, rhinitis (my nose hasn’t stopped running since 1994. Inability to build muscle, shortness of breath, psoriasis, gluten and dairy intolerance, chemical sensitivity. Little perspiration (saved a ton on deodorants). Brain fog. Edema and bloating, frequent urination, kidney stone, unexplained pain especially in my upper right arm, nausea after eating, inability to lose weight even when stringently dieting, loss of sexuality (I mean zero anything), dizziness and vertigo, inability to find the right word when I am speaking. Got terrible floaters then cataracts, and now even more sensitive to light. Eyes tear a lot, and often feel sticky. Tinnitis. Thought I wasn’t going to have neuropathy, but getting the occasional stab in my right foot. Et al...

Through all this, I considered myself essentially healthy, and still do.

In ‘94, after two years of antibiotics for a sinus infection, I had surgery to remove scar tissue. Several months later I was having a breast removed for cancer. Then six months of chemotherapy and two years of tamoxifen. Essentially, my metabolism shut down. The thirty pounds I gained during chemo grew to sixty. My doctors were unhelpful. I was a slug for seven years, then I experienced an event—lost the weight, the brain fog, et al. I never could figure out what happened. Then as now I was constantly experimenting with vitamins and diet—and it lasted about six months. But that time, all my symptoms returned, gained back the weight, etc. A few years ago, I experimented with Sherry Rogers protocols, and experienced a few weeks of wellbeing, but the effect couldn’t be prolonged (and I read every one of her books). So detox was in there somewhere.

At some point, I went gluten free and that helped the gut issues and sinuses. When I got very serious about it, the number of sinus infections I got in a year were halved, but I was still taking antibiotics at least three times a year. I’d guess in the last twenty years I’ve had more than 60 infections, or maybe I just never wasn’t infected. Till I got out of the hospital. I haven’t had ANYTHING in almost two years. That’s a near miracle.

I haven’t lost any more weight, but I haven’t gained any back either. I was starting to lose some ground with focus and word finding, my amazing energy has faded, my libido is less. But after starting the b-12 protocol I’m trying to be very mindful about my symptoms because changes are small and gradual. What I’ve noticed in no particular order—my eyebrows are filling in, my hair is not so thin, my nails are better. I’ve started sweating, and shaving my legs (could have done without that). I get up at night to urinate once, not hourly as I have for years—that’s huge. The restless legs and nighttime cramps are 97% gone. Floaters are almost completely gone. Dizziness is almost gone. I'm not struggling to find a word, any word will do...

My family has done the DNA testing. We all have problematic snps. Still waiting on my husband’s results. He’s a real mess—but that’s another post. And I want to share what we’re seeing with my autistic grandchild.

Ninan

A couple of quick questions:

Potassium:
Is it important for deficiency reasons or is it also important to make B12 work? I have 50 mgs in my mineral complex and if I add more than 500 mgs I get dizzy.
Timing: How important is it to make sure B12 is in your blood at the same time as the basic co-factors?
Vitamin E: Any ideas on how much to take? I'm taking NOW foods Gamma E.

(Can add that 40 mgs of B6 which I added more or less accidentally because it's in my B complex (B minus) just took away my awful, long time PMDD. I'm scheduled for tomorrow and feel totally normal for the first time in more than a decade. Wonderful! :D:balloons::lol:)

ahmo

feel totally normal for the first time in more than a decade.
partyblower.gif

Well done!! I don't think you need to worry about K+ if you're not having any symptoms. Good to take B12 in some proximity to Mfolate. Vit E??I self-test, ask my body. my basic is 400iu dry E (succinate). When stressed, body wants 2. Good luck w/ Dr. :thumbsup:

Ninan

partyblower.gif

Well done!! I don't think you need to worry about K+ if you're not having any symptoms. Good to take B12 in some proximity to Mfolate. Vit E??I self-test, ask my body. my basic is 400iu dry E (succinate). When stressed, body wants 2. Good luck w/ Dr. :thumbsup:
Thanks @ahmo! Going to try to time my folate and B12 better. Seems folate gives me energy after about 30 minutes and it lasts for a few hours. Folate is like caffeine to me. Weird body! :thumbdown:

Ninan

I just took 30 mgs of sublingual adoCbl yesterday and felt much better. I'm new to adoCbl so: Can someone please point me towards somewhere where I can read up? I feel great on it but worry about messing up the balance with folate and other vitamins. Thanks!