International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day Is On May 12, 2018
Thomas Hennessy, Jr., selected May 12th to be our international awareness day back in 1992. He knew that May 12th had also been the birthday of Florence Nightingale. She was the English army nurse who helped to found the Red Cross as well as the first school of nursing in the world.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Autoantibodies and ANAs

Discussion in 'Autonomic, Cardiovascular, and Respiratory' started by Malea, May 13, 2018.

1. Malea

Malea

I have to tell my (family) doctor tommorrow about the autoantibodies I tested positive for. (Adrenergic, muscarinic ACh and angiotensin)
    At the same time I have negative ANAs (1:80) and I worry that my doctor will think that there can‘t be a problem because of the negative ANAs. (That is what a rheumatologist told me a few weeks ago)

Does anybody know why the ANAs can stay negative even though there may be a lot of autoantibodies?

Lisa108 and outdamnspot like this.
  2. Lisa108

Lisa108 Senior Member

As I understand it, ANAs are a totally different type of autoantibodies. So the ones you tested positive for couldn't show up in a test for ANA (and vice versa).

The ANA test is not a general unspecific test to see whether you have autoantibodies (or not). It is specific and searches for "autoantibodies-that-bind-to-proteins/protein-complexes-in-the-cell-nucleus".

The autoantibodies you tested positive for are targeted against receptors.

So the rheumatologist could only rule out diseases that are associated with ANAs (Lupus, Sjögren's,...). But there are lots of other diseases that are associated with different (not ANA) autoantibodies.

sb4 and Malea like this.
  3. Malea

Malea

Thanks a lot, @Lisa108. That makes total sense!

And I assume a general unspecific test that would also detect autoantibodies against receptors might not exist?

4. Lisa108

Lisa108 Senior Member

Not to my knowledge. Maybe others here know better...

Malea likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.