• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Any Veterans Getting Methylation Support from the VA?

Treated for B-12 deficiency for eight years by the VA with cyanocobalamin but signs and symptoms of polyneuropathy progressed. I finally found this site and replaced the Cyano with methylcobalamin. A dramatic difference in muscle strength the next day, followed by substantial sensory and motor improvements over the following months.

The VA and three outside neurologists said "no cure, no treatment". Ok, but what stunned me was the VA telling me that since I was using something that was not in their formulary, I was on my own. The fact that I was getting much better when I had Distal Axonopathy ("dying-back neuropathy"), something "untreatable", wasn't relevant to them.

So, here's my question: is anyone who has methylation issues getting treatment for it by the VA?
(This post also entered under the Doctors forum.)

Tammy

First............I'm so happy for you that you've seen improvements with the methylcobalamin......right on! I would be shocked if anyone was actually getting treated for methylation issues by the VA...........and it doesn't surprise me that they weren't that interested in the fact that the right form of B-12 was helping you. It's just a sad fact. I'm not a vet myself but am familiar with the VA as I have accompanied a good friend of mine to most of her appointments to the VA over the last 8 years. I wish you continued improvement..............and if you don't mind I'm curious how much of the methylcobalmin are you taking?

First............I'm so happy for you that you've seen improvements with the methylcobalamin......right on! I would be shocked if anyone was actually getting treated for methylation issues by the VA...........and it doesn't surprise me that they weren't that interested in the fact that the right form of B-12 was helping you. It's just a sad fact. I'm not a vet myself but am familiar with the VA as I have accompanied a good friend of mine to most of her appointments to the VA over the last 8 years. I wish you continued improvement..............and if you don't mind I'm curious how much of the methylcobalmin are you taking?

Hi Tammy--

Please see my adjacent post:
Success Then Rapidly Moving Relapse in Spite of MB-12
where I detail my treatment and the current difficulty I have encountered

Victronix

Hi,
I work at a VA but not the clinic, just research. My sense is that they are about the same as most traditional doctors and that if you can find one who would prescribe methyl B-12 it would be a miracle, sadly. My HMO and PPO doctors recommended cutting way back on B-12 -- no idea that that would wipe me out, and no idea of how little they even know about it. Other gems -- "All those B-12 tablets must be hard on your stomach," etc.

If you have any private insurance, my recommendation would be to search for an alternative doctor who also takes that insurance. This might seem impossible, but I recently did find someone, although it took a lot of research. After that, if things are really intense for you and you haven't found one who takes your insurance, I'd recommend just shelling out the money for an alternative doctor in your area, at least for a few visits. Your life is worth it. Use the vacation money or whatever it takes.

But in general, my feeling is that when you have health issues like the ones we all have on here, the people on these forums are the best resource in the world (combined with the regular physician and urgent care for if you have "episodes" while working through the various protocols).

My experience was extremely rocky in getting back to stability, but I did, and it takes weeks and months for changes to happen. But believe me, this is probably the best resource in the world -- with participants from all over the world, some with decades of experiences of experimenting and healing -- that you can find.

It's appalling how little the conventional medical community understands about treating nerve issues with m-B-12 and other nutrients. Instead, they prescribe toxic anti-psychotics and tests, that, no matter what they show, only end up back with toxic pharmaceuticals and anti-depressants in most cases.