• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Action alert: Brian Vastag's appeal to the NIH is in the Washington Post - HELP BOOST IT!

ahimsa

ahimsa_pdx on twitter
Tulsa World has reprinted Brian Vastag's letter to Dr. Collins.
http://www.tulsaworld.com/opinion/b...cle_d2adb5d4-1a85-545c-8926-f23626376af0.html
(corrected link)

I saw that reprint.

Sadly, the Tulsa World version does not contain any of the links to supporting evidence that were sprinkled throughout the Washington Post version of his letter. If anyone does comment (I probably won't be able to do so) then you might want to reference the Washington Post article as a source of further evidence.

Also, the Tulsa World headline is horrible since it has "me" which I think should have been "M. E." (or maybe both, trying for a bad pun?)
Brian Vastag: Ask not what the NIH can do for me. Just do it. Please.
This does not excuse the snarky comment but it might partly explain it. That headline makes it look like a personal plea, not a more general request for increased M.E. funding from the NIH.

Forbin

Also, the Tulsa World headline is horrible since it has "me" which I think should have been "M. E." (or maybe both, trying for a bad pun?)

The Tulsa World's headline originates with the Washington Post.

The WP's print edition headline was simply, "Ask not what the NIH can do for me. Just do it. Please."
It had the lower case "me." [At least, that's the headline used in the print addition at my local library.]

The "I'm disabled. Can NIH spare a few dimes?" headline was used for the Washington Post's online version.

Last edited: