• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. Star-Anise

n-acetylcysteine (NAC) (N-A-C)

I recently decided to try NAC at the advice of my naturopath as a beginning place to start to restore my liver function. I have no liver function formal tests, but I am pretty sure that I have weak Phase 2 detox. I have trouble with sulfite metabolism & my endocrine function is impaired. I also...
  2. Star-Anise

Comment by 'Star-Anise' in 'NAC'

I find NAC very stimulating, even at tiny tiny doses (like 1/64 tsp). I'm curious about why this may be. I have some ideas. Maybe underlying Mercury toxicity (I had amalgam fillings for years), or perhaps due to my really impaired liver metabolism (especially sulfur metabolism).
  3. Star-Anise

Comment by 'Star-Anise' in 'Anxiety Attacks'

Towards summer, it also started when I was leaving home -even when the destination was desirable. This was nuts. I knew what "agoraphobia was (inability to leave one's home due to anxiety/panic) and I was damned if I was going to sit around while that took over my life." This is my new flavor...
  4. Star-Anise

How to Best Tolerate Fish Oil

@Gondwanaland Hi there! Yep B5 does the same thing to me I think. I have only tried B5 when I took it as part of another supplement & I noticed a variety of symptoms but basically tired/wired, so it was on my list to try it in a titrated lesser dose. I'll report back about what I find. But I...
  5. Star-Anise

Hi @Viking The Algae product that I am using is from Whole Earth & Sea, & it is called Pure Food Marine Algae-3. When I first started to take it, I did experience a mild "buzz" akin to the fish product, but on a way lesser scale. I'm not sure why I tolerate the algae Omegas. I have a hunch for...
  6. Star-Anise

Just wanted to put a quick note here that the algae oil was tolerated way more easily & I am now taking it daily :) Not sure why. I think it has less of the active components of EPA/DHA so a little of a good thing tends to go a long ways with me, so it might be as simple as it just being less...
  7. Star-Anise

@Gondwanaland yes, I think that the omega 3s help with estrogen metabolism, as does DIM. I got the algae version today - will report results. ;)
  8. Star-Anise

Thanks @Gondwanaland & @Joh! I have tolerated algae products previously way better actually! What a brilliant suggestion. Yes, it's almost like the fish oil is good but too concentrated for me. My body needs gentleness, I'm sure everyone can appreciate, ha ha! @Gondwanaland I think you are onto...
  9. Star-Anise

Hi everyone! This is an old thread, but I too, am having problems with fish oils :( Fish oils basically = RAGE for me (excitotoxicity?) I've been told I need the omegas, don't tolerate flax seed oil (it does something hormonally for me). Any suggestions? @Gondwanaland you said: "It is a...
  10. Star-Anise

Love and hate for vitamin B6

Already feeling better from about 10mg B2 & an anti-histamine. Whoo!:thumbsup: @Gondwanaland - you are a lifesaver! My head was getting into the *crazy-zone* that's the closest I have felt to needing to be on the psych ward! Star:balloons::balloons::balloons:
  11. Star-Anise

@Gondwanaland Yes. You are definitely onto something here with the uric acid & Zinc connection. Definitely. HMMMM. I'm going to do some experimenting. Thanks again! :)
  12. Star-Anise

Thanks @Valentijn that's one thing I don't have to worry about! :) :) Yay!
  13. Star-Anise

@Gondwanaland A big big thank-you for starting this post & providing all the information that you have. It has been so very helpful. I love this forum & the people here. It is such a good thing that we are part of supporting each other in this way. My question from Alison Vickery...
  14. Star-Anise

Thanks @Gondwanaland :) Funny that you say that. I was like --- hey this feels like a histamine reaction. And thank-you kindly for the advice re: B2 & magnesium. I was already sniffing out some magnesium but haven't thought about B2. Happy holidays to everyone! Star
  15. Star-Anise

Wow! Been trying some B6 lately in form of P5P. Opened up a 50 mg capsule & eyeballed about a 1/8 tsp of powder. First response - quite heightened fatigue/drowsiness the next day. Second time - eyeballed perhaps a bit less - second response: like speed!!! Couldn't sleep a wink, next morning...
  16. Star-Anise

How do I decrease cortisol?

@dannybex Hi there thanks for the info above, I'm looking for something to help lower my night-time cortisol that doesn't lead to higher acetylcholine. I'm not sure if that's possible for me right now. I don't know a lot about this process, other than what I am experientially observing. PS, &...
  17. Star-Anise

The Wonders of Prebiotics

Hi all! @Hip Thanks for the useful information. Working on suspected SIBO. Found some success with Garden of Life probiotic with Homeostatic Soil Organisms (HSOs). It was the best probiotic I had ever tried! As well have had great success with Unmodified potato starch, & have weaned myself...
  18. Star-Anise

The Resistant Starch Challenge: Is It The Key We've Been Looking For?

Hi all! Looking for some recommendations re: use of Larch. I have been benefiting greatly for some months on Bob's Red Mills Potato Starch - about 5 tsp/day spread throughout day. Despite the benefits which seem to be in my lower intenstines, I still would have problems when I would eat...
  19. Star-Anise

Woo!! Finally got Metametrix results! Now what??

@Critterina @end What do u think about this one? https://www.biokplus.com/en-us/original It was recommended to me by Gestalt as well. I'm quite nervous about trying dairy again. But their rice formula has nutritional yeast in it. Unfortunately I think I've been having a return if my old yeast...
  20. Star-Anise

Relationship between caffeine and B12 tolerance.

@NilaJones Adenosyl-B12 is one of my friends. I noticed a big difference in energy metabolism when I introduced it. But ++detox symptoms as well (edema, tiredness, gross-like feeling), so go slooooooowwwwwww, as you likely would have done anyways ;). I agree with Caledonia - there is a chance...
  21. Star-Anise

Relationship between caffeine and B12 tolerance.

Hi @NilaJones I can only share from my own experience here. I have had extensive adrenal difficulties. My reading/learning has been that with chronic health problems adrenals are always involved as is liver toxicity & such. What I would do if I was having your symptoms: a) Don't try to...
  22. Star-Anise

Hi @NilaJones - yes so very nice to connect :) I would say - yes. There does seem to be varying opinions of this in the community. Mercury toxicity as a whole seems to be a sensitive topic. For myself - removal of my amalgam fillings was crucial to increase my tolerance of methyl agents. I'm...
  23. Star-Anise

My current methylation puzzle

Hi @NilaJones - I concur with lovely @Critterina above. It looks to me that things are slowly coming along for you, which is awesome. Recently I have had made peace with folate in supplements for my body. As I said on other thread I'm doing the nutritional balancing program (best known via...
  24. Star-Anise

Hi @NilaJones So nice to hear from you. I have had a long hx of working on my gut issues. What I have learned is that the metametrix testing is very useful in giving us a snapshot of our gut flora & what may be occurring, however, it may not be the whole picture - this makes sense especially...
  25. Star-Anise

Need a Manganese for dummies guide: why am I WIRED?

@sregan Sorry about my late response, for some reason I haven't been getting email alerts... Hmmmm, if it is just a bit watery, I would likely continue. I noticed that stuff in that department definitely had it's fluctuations as I have been proceeding with my program. I would even be ok with the...
  26. Star-Anise

The Resistant Starch Challenge: Is It The Key We've Been Looking For?

Hi all, ok I'm sold on RS. I've been trying it in small doses nightly for a few months. Maximum dose I've achieved is 2 tsps per day. Many positive benefits I've noticed: at first I experienced the vivid dreams, and this has continued, and is quite pleasant. As I have been reading through...
  27. Star-Anise

Am I taking too much MB12 & MFolate?

@Indie Hi there! It was some time ago that I was experimenting with hydroxy, but I seem to recall that it just increased the fatigue. At first it seemed to help, but that was short-lived. As well, it seemed to make it harder to stabilize on my methylfolate. If you are COMT-/- then likely you...
  28. Star-Anise

Am I taking too much MB12 & MFolate?

Hi Audrey, in addition to my PM, if I were going to reduce any dose, I would be tempted to reduce the hydroxyB12, slowly at first, I can see why you are on it due to COMT status, but personally hydroxy - has only given me problems (but I'm COMT -/-). But this would largely depend on your...
  29. Star-Anise

Treatment for CBS/Sulfur issues?

Hey girl, interesting story, I'm doing a nutritional balancing protocol with Theresa Vernon based on Dr. Wilson's protocol & I've been able to reintroduce some sulphur foods. I can't have a lot everyday, but I've been able to enjoy some stuff with onions in it, and some chocolate without any...
  30. Star-Anise

CBS success!

@musicchick581 Side effects can be detox symptoms if too much too fast. I had 6 sprays on 1st day & ended up with a really bad headache. I had to do 1-3 sprays spread throughout the day, & worked my way up to 20+ sprays at once several times per day. I'm currently waiting for the mail fairy to...