• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. S

Heavy Metal Detoxing question

Pretty sure glutathione will detox those and many other things. Have you had your glutathione tested? A deficiency may be what is driving the elevated metals. It's also cheaper to raise that then take an expensive zeolite (which may also interfere with absorption of other nutrients).
  2. S

SOD2 A16V mutation and exercise - should antioxidants be used?

You would have to take antioxidants that get inside the mitochondria. Fusion and fission are important for optimal mitochondria and I'm not sure how those would be impacted.
  3. S

Microbiome 16s DNA analysis

This lab uses WGS instead of 16s which they claim is better. This allows them to test for viruses and fungi. https://www.nirvanabiome.com/faq With 16S rRNA amplicon sequencing, only a portion of one gene is analyzed. This gene is highly conserved (it is essential for most microbes to live)...
  4. S

$700 mold toxin test

Realtime Labs Mycotoxins every other year.
  5. S

$700 mold toxin test

I didn't test my house, but I keep the humidity down and disposed of everything that could be a substrate (paper, corrugated etc). I keep the basement well ventilated and don't store or keep anything down there. I think there is a genetic deficiency in handling the mold so I focus on...
  6. S

$700 mold toxin test

I did the test and found elevated levels of mycotoxins. Treatment included dietary changes, various OTC binders and supplements to increase glutathione. It brought the levels down and made a difference in my exercise tolerance. Cost is always a factor, but eliminating possible causal factors...
  7. S

Has anyone noticed significant changes in their collagen? ( Vascular, Skin, Joints )

Good white tea will reduce collagenase if you can handle the caffeine. There was a small study which demonstrated that 100 mg of GABA a day can help do the same on a smaller scale.
  8. S

What foods contain bifidobacteria?

Not likely to be a lot in yogurt. You need doses at least in the billions to even begin to move the needle. I think Activia has 1 billion. Also, all these probiotics are transient and do not implant permanently (except Mutaflor).
  9. S

What foods contain bifidobacteria?

Bifidobacteria are strict anaerobes and grow better at a lower temp than lactobacillus. Therefore, there probably is not much in your typical yogurt (the acidity from the lactobacillus probably has a negative impact as well). Anaerobes grow best when the oxygen in the vat is reduced so are...
  10. S

MitoSwab mitochondrial function testing

It's my carnitine that becomes elevated, sorry. Not sure there is a test for acetyl carnitine, but I've never had it done. I don't think there is a point in taking any carnitine if your level is elevated. If I take too much acetyl carnitine, then I get insomia. I assume that's from the...
  11. S

Anyone here have tooth problems?

Been using Biomin F. Expensive to have it shipped in from the UK, but have to do something. Not sure if the Sangi products are better or if they are the ultimate manufacturer. Still getting problems, but I have signifivant gum recession so it's hard to tell the cause...
  12. S

Fired for being sick

Retaliation is an easier claim to make. Might have a chance if you have called in sick or done something before. Might be worth a chance since it could provide you some money for medical bills. Good luck.
  13. S

Acetyl carnitine seems to help, but becomes elevated when I take it regularly (I'm not a vegetarian). I still take small doses periodically though (500 mg). Have not checked nitrotyrosine yet, but will now. I take 200 mg per day of of r-lipoic (na-rala) in 50 mg doses. Not sure it's worth...
  14. S

Thanks. Not clear on what drives RC I (excluding the suppression resulting from free radicals). Does supplemental NADH drive RC I? My profile is similar to yours-low glutathione, magnesium, various B vitamins (B12, niacin, B1), lipoic acid, succinic acid, vitamin A. Also low were lipid...
  15. S

Just had mine done, but they didn't do RC II and III even though I requested the 'plus' test. Seems like my results are not too bad which leaves without much direction. Any input appreciated. Thanks.
  16. S

Stool Analysis - Recommendations?

Thanks, much appreciated. I thought that gram positive bacteriocins only suppressed other gram positive bacteria. Some more recent research indicates that some of the impact of LABs on Citrobacter is from modulation of the immune system. Seems like there is enough research there to start...
  17. S

My doctor asked what exactly are they testing and how are they testing it when I asked him for a script for this test. I wasn't sure how to answer him. I was hoping I could get some insight since I would like to get this done. I also have perpetually high Coq10. Have you figured out that...
  18. S

Stool Analysis - Recommendations?

Citrobacter has a plasmid that confer resistance to antibiotics as well as natural treatments. Eventually, it will be resistant to all these treatments and that is where the real problem lies. There should be another bacteria which is antagonistic to it and helps keep it in check, but I have...
  19. S

Always thirsty and peeing loads

Chitosan, chlorophyll, apple pectin, cholagogues, increasing glutathione, cutting out moldy foods (mostly corn for me, but also storing bread properly).
  20. S

For someone in need of 23 and me, I have a $40 off voucher

Thanks! I was just about to order.
  21. S

Who has improved?

I've recovered substantially over the years, but not 100%. A big part of my recovery was hampered for many years by a lack of technology. The development of various blood, urine and DNA tests helped to pinpoint areas that were dragging me down and focus treatments that addressed those issues...
  22. S

Culturing bifidum Bifidobacterium

Doesn't bifidus require that you limit the oxygen in the container (obligate anaerobe)?
  23. S

Always thirsty and peeing loads

Had the same problem and it improved significantly after I discovered I had elevated mycotoxins and started treatment.
  24. S

Naturopath will not provide me my test results till I see her!

You can go to gdx.net and get your results online. You need a social security number, but if you call the company I am sure you can work out something (assuming you are Canadian). Usually, GDX post them up 14 days after sending to the doctor. I would try to go through the company and then...
  25. S

Request Assistance Brainstorming Root-cause of B-Vitamin Deficiencies

The OAT diagnoses B vitamin deficiencies by looking at the levels of your OA. The interpretation suggests, but does not prove, that you are deficient in B vitamins. I have gotten these in my OATs over the years and took various B vitamins at various levels to no avail. There is more to the...
  26. S

Third Metabolomics Study Info (Gordon Medical Study)

Do the healthy controls also have to pay the $1,500 fee?
  27. S

Culturing Bifidobacterium Bifidum

Isn't it an obligate anerobe? You would need to control the amount of oxygen in the container. What is growing in the container may not entirely be bifidus. Bifidus is hard to culture properly.
  28. S

Don't Get Your Thyroid Out...Ever. Leave It In Until It Kills You.

Sorry this seems never ending, but at least you got some things figured out. T4 is converted to T3 in the liver so perhaps you need some support for that process. I wonder if the specific T4 you take also has an influence on the conversion. Would be easier if you could just take T4 and not...
  29. S

Anyone have low Aldosterone?

desmopressin=synthetic ADH
  30. S

Anyone have low Aldosterone?

Aldosterone is really hard to test because it can be effected by so many things including whether you are standing or sitting. ADH is also hard, but a little easier. Probably can test salivary adrenals and do a progesterone, pregnenolone and DHEA test to determine the overall picture and...