• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. K

coffee and myelin sheath

Hi there, While going over a supposedly well reviewed OCD protocol by Dr Mary Reed, I found out that strengthening myelin may also improve CFS. However, I found out that she strictly advises against coffee as a pre-requisite to improving myelin. Does anyone know of any scientific literature...
  2. K

Chromium picolinate for depression while undermethylated?

Hi I want to try out chromium picolinate or polynicotinate for depression. However I have undermethylation and CFS. Has anyone tried these supplements being undermethylated and has it worked for you? any other suggestions?
  3. K

Help interpreting mercury level in hair analysis

I agree with you and thanks for responding! I did my hair analysis at Analytic Research Labs after investigating they are one of those few labs who do this accurately including not washing the hair. I am gonna try some trial and error too, go to a functional doctor here, and go from there.
  4. K

@South and @Johnmac thank you for your responses. After reading the links, it seems I have mercury poisoning. Given that I have also been diagnosed undermethylated, am I supposed to remove mercury first before methylating? There is contradictory info on the forums and I am very confused. I...
  5. K

I ordered hair test and got my results from ARL (Analytical research labs, Inc). I was wondering if someone could please help me interpret the mercury level. First, they didn't put any units! Usually I believe the levels for metals are measured in ug/g. But this report did not have any...
  6. K

Help!!! Neurotoxin in my brain due to Methylcobalamin B12 and Mercury Poisoning!

Thank you for responding. Sorry I am a beginner so this may be a dumb question. So what you are saying is that cilantro is good for chelating/removing mercury if you are not very toxic. What does "very toxic" mean. I had mercury amalgam removed almost 4 years ago. Recently I had hair...
  7. K

Help!!! Neurotoxin in my brain due to Methylcobalamin B12 and Mercury Poisoning!

Hi could someone please shed light on why cilantro and chlorella won't be advised if body has mercury? In fact, aren't these two often used for removing mercury from body? Several people seem to suggest. But maybe I am not understanding you. Would really appreciate if you can explain.
  8. K

I have OCD, anxiety, likely undermethylation,very mild pyroluria

Organ meats like beef liver have super high folate and choline. But then again that is from Dr Walsh's protocol and you don't buy it. In my case, beef liver also has high histamine level so that is another thing to consider if you buy the whole histamine argument. How do you feel after you...
  9. K

Elevated Cysteine and Glutamate, Low Glutathione?

Could this work if I have the exact issues that the OP has (elevated glutamate, low glutathione) plus elevated Mercury? I read that elevated mercury people should not take cysteine (NAC) as it "pings mercury all over the body without removing it". So maybe glycine also works for people like me?
  10. K

NAD+ / Niagen/Niacin for undermethylation/CFS?

Hi I was wondering if someone could tell me in plain English if Niagen/Niacin supplement is good for undermethylators. I am undermethylator plus CFS plus "pure" OCD. Seems that NAD+ is a methyl donor (or I may have gotten it wrong, please correct me), while excess Niacin (B3) uses up methyl...
  11. K

Pterostilbene - good for undermethylation

I am trying to find out if Pterostilbene is good or bad for undermethylation. I know there are some threads but I got confused in the jargon. I understand Pterostilbene is a methylated stilbene molecule. But is it a methyl donor (good for undermethylation) or methyl acceptor (bad for...
  12. K

I have OCD, anxiety, likely undermethylation,very mild pyroluria

I have had similar symptoms plus CFS. Like the prior poster I am still searching for answers. But there are couple of things that jumped out to me that I should caution you that I learned the hard way. Because you are undermethylated and have "pure" OCD (like me), other than the more obvious...
  13. K

Anyone had an appointment with Dr. Mensah?

An update. I sent out an email to Dr mensah's staff voicing some of my frustrations and compiled a list of questions I wanted to ask but couldn't. His assistant responded back and she said the Doctor was very busy but she will try to get all the answers from the Doctor and then she will also...
  14. K

@Misfit Toy I hope your thyroid issue gets better. Thank you for the reply. I posted this thread because of my story with Dr Mensah that wasn't exactly the kind of experience I was hoping for. Before my phone consult with Dr Mensah I was super excited because I had read Dr Walsh's book...
  15. K

Ashwagandha for undermethylation

Hi there has anyone tried Ashwagandha for Undermethylation symptoms? I didn't find any contra-indications on internet or pubmed, or perhaps this combination hasn't been studied so far. Any insight would be appreciated. Cheers. K
  16. K

Hi @Misfit Toy I am wondering if you have any update on the mensah/walsh protocol you were following. I had a phone consult with Dr Mensah couple of days ago as I am undermethylated. He has recommended I start with the protocol but he had very limited time. Wanted to get an opinion and find...