• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Palpitations taking Potassium

gracee41

I started taking potassium 3 days ago because of shortness of breath due to methylated b. I took 900mgs today and am breathing well for the first time in days. However, I 'm having heart palpitations from the potassium. I actually got them the first day when I took only one 99mg.

I took my last 300mgs today around 3 1/2 hrs ago and am still having palpitations. I know that is a sign of low and high potassium. Has anyone else experienced palpitations taking potassium?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I started taking potassium 3 days ago because of shortness of breath due to methylated b. I took 900mgs today and am breathing well for the first time in days. However, I 'm having heart palpitations from the potassium. I actually got them the first day when I took only one 99mg.

I took my last 300mgs today around 3 1/2 hrs ago and am still having palpitations. I know that is a sign of low and high potassium. Has anyone else experienced palpitations taking potassium?

That seems like quite a high dose of potassium. Have you checked to see if that is a safe dose? Are you balancing it with others minerals such as sodium and magnesium? The palpitations are concerning.

Sushi

Martial

the rdv is 4000mg and there is more potassium in a single banana. You might want to talk to your doctor though. Supplemented form does tend to hit faster, but 300mg shouldn't be causing that on its own.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
the rdv is 4000mg and there is more potassium in a single banana. You might want to talk to your doctor though. Supplemented form does tend to hit faster, but 300mg shouldn't be causing that on its own.

The average banana has 400mg of potassium.

I've never had palpitations in response to taking potassium, so I can't comment on what's happening to you at the moment. You might consider having a blood test for potassium, it's not a pricey thing. You can develop problems when your potassium level is too high or too low.

Two years ago, with no apparent cause, I started having palpitations 24/7, and I take atenolol to suppress them. So I do know how annoying they can be. They can also have many causes, some more serious than others.

I hope someone is able to help you.

Martial

The average banana has 400mg of potassium.

I've never had palpitations in response to taking potassium, so I can't comment on what's happening to you at the moment. You might consider having a blood test for potassium, it's not a pricey thing. You can develop problems when your potassium level is too high or too low.

Two years ago, with no apparent cause, I started having palpitations 24/7, and I take atenolol to suppress them. So I do know how annoying they can be. They can also have many causes, some more serious than others.

I hope someone is able to help you.

Oh no I meant it has more then 300mg in it like the supplement she took, ranging from 400-700 depending on type of banana. Agreed though definitely get it checked out! I doubt that there is anything to worry about from hyperkalemia with that small of amounts, but always play it safe! We aren't doctors here after all

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
Oh no I meant it has more then 300mg in it like the supplement she took, ranging from 400-700 depending on type of banana. Agreed though definitely get it checked out! I doubt that there is anything to worry about from hyperkalemia with that small of amounts, but always play it safe! We aren't doctors here after all

Martial, now I see what you did! I wouldn't want anyone to think that a banana had 4000mg (or more) of potassium.

Gingergrrl

I take a potassium supplement every night from my cardiologist that is 20 meq but cannot figure out how this compares to mgs. I asked two doctors while in the hospital and they did not know the answer! They just said it was a small amount and not to worry about it!

Does anyone know how meq translates to mgs? I have had no problems with it and Atenolol controls my tachycardia the majority of the time.

zzz

The conversion rate differs by substance, as mEq stands for milliequivalents, which are units of electrical charge, whereas milligrams are units of mass. Since milliequivalents are based on electrical charge, the conversion to milligrams varies by substance. You can find a calculator for converting from mEq to mg for many common substances here.

For example, 20 mEq of potassium is equal to 780 mg.

Gingergrrl

@zzz So is taking 780 mg per day a huge amount?!!! I am also drinking pedialtye and coconut water which has a lot of potassium in it plus salt stick pills which have potassium. I feel like this has helped me but now concerned from this thread!

Martial

@zzz So is taking 780 mg per day a huge amount?!!! I am also drinking pedialtye and coconut water which has a lot of potassium in it plus salt stick pills w/potassium. I feel like this has helped me but now concerned from this thread!

780 is around the same amount as about 10 or so oz of coconut water. It depends on some other things too though. Taking the potassium in supplemented form hits you much faster then when you get in from food sources. So you get the same amount from each but the rate of release in the system can differ.

gracee41

Thanks for the replies. I'm having no palps this morning but dread taking by methyl b complex today. I had subtle palps even with one potassium capsule but it went away. I did use my transdermal magnesium oil before bed last night and palps stopped. Thinking maybe I needed more magnesium.

If methylation start-up causes a potassium drop, I must surely need it since I was already at a low normal level per lab results before I started it. It definitely helps my breathing so that is related. Is there any form of methyl B's that don't seem to cause as many issues? Honestly, I felt much better before I started methylation. However, since I'm hetero C677T and A1298C, my doc wants me to use it. Also, everything I read says I need it as well.

Not sure what to do at the moment. Just hate the feeling of not being able to breathe.

caledonia

The potassium test is a snapshot of what's in your blood, not what's in your cells. Mine was actually in the high normal range, but I got low potassium symptoms after methylation startup like everyone else around here does.

I get an increase in subtle heart palps after taking potassium (which I take four times a day). I'd say they're mainly within a half hour of taking the potassium. Maybe a dozen or two of them. Then I can have random one-off's throughout the day. It's been happening for a year and hasn't killed me yet.:)

I take magnesium along with the potassium and feel that I have everything dialed in right. I also do calcium in a capsule form. I also used to take sodium, but don't need to anymore. Those would be the four main electrolytes that would regulate heart rhythm. There are a few others, but supposedly you can get those through diet.
http://www.builtlean.com/2012/11/28/electrolytes/

If you have adrenal fatigue you'll be leaking out electrolytes like crazy and need to replace them often.

I haven't heard of anyone else complaining of potassium related heart palps.

I would mention this to your doctor though. My doc was very helpful in getting my mag/potass balance dialed in.

Can you tell us exactly what kind of methyl B's you're taking? What brand, how much, how often?

My solution is to go extremely low and slow on the methyls. I have had other weird heart stuff like sharp heart pains over the years.

Gingergrrl

@gracee41 Do you think there is any chance that the methyl B itself is causing the palpitations vs the potassium?

I was curious how similar your symptoms are to mine as shortness of breath has been a big issue for me as well as tachycardia.

I was not able to tolerate the methylation supplements although if I try again I will start REALLY low and will try hydroxy B instead of Methyl B.

For now I am doing other treatments and put methylation on hold. What is your shortness of breath like and what triggers it?

Gondwanaland

I have read on the book Potassium Nutrition that if you raise your potassium it is recommended to be on an adequate amount of vitamin B1 (and vice-versa).

izzy

gracee41

Initially, the heart palps were caused by the methyl b. I cut back the dose and palps stopped. Only shortness of breath remains. Since I've read how common it is for methylation to dump your potassium upon start-up, I felt this was the reason for my shortness of breath. That's why I started the potassium.

The very first cap gave me heart palps but not too bad. I'm somewhat used to that because of thyroid issues I've had. Although, they are straightened out now. If I take more than one capsule, the palps are pretty bad. They are 99mg caps.

I use NeuroBiologix Neuro-Immune Stablizer transdermal cream. I am using a fraction of what the dose calls for. The company tells me they've never heard of it causing shortness of breath. The ingredients are 5-Methyltetrahydrofolate (5-MTHF), Hydroxycobalamin (Hydroxy B 12), Methylcobalamin (Methyl B 12), 1.75mg Pyridoxal 5-Phosphate (B 6) and Approximately 1,000 IU Natural Vitamin D Per Pump.

Someone on another site contacted the company and it said the amount in each pump ( X 2 daily) is as follows:
4mg – 5-MTHF (Quatrefolic)
1mg – Hydroxycobalamin
1mg – Methylcobolamin
1.5mg – P5P
1000 IU Natural Vitamin D

My shortness of breath starts within 30 mins of using the cream. I can't get a full breath and my lungs burn. There is no wheezing. This lasts all day. The potassium eases my lungs but causes palps.

I did talk with my dr's office today. She is going to order me another electrolyte test. My last was in July. Hope this tells me something.

Gondwanaland

I got the same symptoms from a progesterone cream when I was intolerant to salicylates. I think it was from the preservatives in it. Magnesium supplementation helped me with that.

caledonia

I use NeuroBiologix Neuro-Immune Stablizer transdermal cream. .... I am using a fraction of what the dose calls for.
Someone on another site contacted the company and it said the amount in each pump ( X 2 daily) is as follows:
4mg – 5-MTHF (Quatrefolic)
1mg – Hydroxycobalamin
1mg – Methylcobolamin
1.5mg – P5P
1000 IU Natural Vitamin D

I did talk with my dr's office today. She is going to order me another electrolyte test. My last was in July. Hope this tells me something.

Let's say that you're using a tiny little dab and that is 1/10 of one pump. So then you would be taking something like
200mcg methylfolate
50mcg hydroxy
50mcg methylcobalamin
75mcg P5P
50 iu vitamin D

Assuming absorption via the skin is pretty good, that amount of methylfolate could be too high for a starting dose for some people. The two B12's combined are less than the methylfolate, so that could cause methyl trapping. That could cause an increase in symptoms. However, if potassium is helping, then that doesn't seem to be the case. Some people don't do well with hydroxy.

The P5P and vit. D amounts are very minimal, and I don't think would do anything.

What are the other ingredients (fillers?) Some people react to those and not the actual therapeutic ingredients. This could be more likely if you're already chemically sensitive. This is like Gondawanaland was saying with the salicylate.

If it's a standard electrolyte test, it won't have magnesium. With potassium, you're back to it not picking up what's in the cells. Although if it's low in the blood, it's probably low in the cells.

I have a document linked in my signature below called Start Low and Go Slow. It has info on how to learn self muscle testing. This is another method which can be used in place of, or along with trial and error, to determine what's good and bad to take, and the right doses.

You could also try discontinuing the cream and trying individual supplements.