• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

anyone get muscle pain from melatonin?

The last time I tried melatonin, several years ago, I woke up with severe muscle pain. (Actually I usually have severe muscle pain, but this was much worse.) Any ideas why this could be, or what I could try instead?

Mike

rosie26

How much were you taking ? I started on 1mg at night and am now taking only 1/2 tablet each night. I haven't noticed any increase in muscle pain while taking melatonin.

It didn't help noticeably. At the time I had a number of other things interfering with my sleep which have since improved, so maybe it's worth trying again. The major improvement is that I take Neurontin which cures my restless legs syndrome.

rosie26

Perhaps it's worth trying again, but start out on a lower dose of 1mg or 1/2mg.

I don't know anything about Neurontin, so you should check first about interactions before starting melatonin.

ukxmrv

I changed to a different brand of relayed release 3mg tablets and the side effects I had before (grogginess, almost a depression like a constant lower mood, brainfog) disappeared straight away.

Purple

Bundle of purpliness
The last time I tried melatonin, several years ago, I woke up with severe muscle pain. (Actually I usually have severe muscle pain, but this was much worse.) Any ideas why this could be, or what I could try instead?

Mike

Hi Mike,

My experience with melatonin has been mixed. For a while, it helped greatly with sleep but as my ME progressed, it was no longer helping with sleep and eventually it gave me not only a groggy feeling (without actually sleeping) but also within about an hour of taking it my bodywide pain would increase greatly and I would be breathless and brainfogged to the point of being zombified. My own theory (which could be completely wrong, so please bear this in mind) is that melatonin being a hormone with which other hormones interact meant that this was a reaction caused by many hormones being out of sync. I have not changed brands/dosages during this time period and am not particularly sensitive to chemicals or drugs (unless feeling very ill in general) so I think this was due to the fact that as the disease progressed, the hormonal and chemical imbalances have changed and adding melatonin to this mix was causing a havoc. As I said, this is my own lay-person theory and observation :)