• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Yes, distraction is a valid coping skill.

Are several things I'd like to go get done today, but this defective body with its several different dysfunctions says, nope, not today.
So ...
Distraction is being employed as a coping skill.
(hmm, can you say "different dysfunctions" 3 times fast? even slow once?)
(today, slow once appears to be an issue!)🤣

Need something not too deep, not overly technical, but totally of interest.

(maybe after a nap I can go glue at least one model plane, or model boat, or model rocket, or model train, part on to something)
(uncertain if my brain is up to focusing on painting parts, especially the couple of airplane instrument panels and/or pilot guys which need to be finished before installation)

Ahh, Dad and Grandad were each pilots for a season of their lives.
✈️🛩️🚁
Great Granddad whose given names were Orville Elias, "O.E." was the guy in the county who you took your new horse to in order to be checked out, and broke for riding.
Granddad, given name was Forrest, was the guy you took your new airplane to in order for it to be checked out. He'd strap on his parachute and go make sure your new airplane would in fact perform as advertised.
Family history also includes that he built an autogyro. An autogyro looks like a hybrid of airplane and helicopter but in flight the rotor isn't powered.

So, I recline here and Google is my playground. 🙂
At least until my hands hurt enough to force stopping. ☹️

Anyway ...
This situation came to mind ...
So I googled ...

https://www.avweb.com/features/theories-of-lift/

Theories Of Lift​

Neither Bernoulli nor Newton completely explain how airfoils work and lift is created. It's actually a highly complex enterprise we don't fully understand.​

By
Joseph E. (Jeb) Burnside
-
Published: August 4, 2022

Also today, we teach that the theories of Sir Isaac Newton (1642-1726) and Swiss mathematician Daniel Bernoulli (1700-1782) provide the detailed science that explains lift. They don’t, at least not fully.

The basic problem is that neither theory completely explains real-world observations. Bernoulli’s principle—that the faster air on top of the wing experiences reduced pressure—is correct but doesn’t explain why it’s correct. It also doesn’t explain inverted flight. That’s where Newton’s second and third laws (see the sidebar below for details) come into play. Taken together, Newton’s laws describe how we can fly inverted and how angle of attack works. But they don’t have the details we need from Bernoulli. Still, once we put Bernoulli and Newton in the same room, then sprinkle some Cayley throughout, we have a working idea of how to build and fly an airplane. But we still don’t know exactly why the air on top of the wing is at a lower pressure than the air underneath it.

https://aerospaceamerica.aiaa.org/departments/so-you-think-you-know-lift-better-read-this/

So you think you know lift? Better read this​

By Ben Iannotta|February 2023

Given how deeply air transportation is woven into modern life, it’s surprising that the precise workings of aerodynamic lift remain a topic of debate among the experts. To sort all this out, I met on a video call last month with Paul Bevilaqua, retired from Lockheed Martin Skunk Works, and Haithem Taha of the University of California, Irvine. I learned about several myths and at least one collapsing theory. Here is our discussion, lightly edited and compressed.

Okay, nap time.
Or am I hungry?
Or is it both?
Body is not clear on which is which today.
It is, fortunately/unfortunately quite clear on where the outright pain is located.
😕

Comments

There are no comments to display.

Blog entry information

Author
southwestforests
Read time
2 min read
Views
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from southwestforests