• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Wonder if that affects any pharmaceuticals I or any of us take?

Hmm, wonder if that affects any pharmaceuticals I or any of us take?
How many would come by ship, how many would come by air freight?
šŸ¤”

First, a note to build the background;

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Pharmaceuticals/U.S.-dependence-on-China-for-lifesaving-drugs-grows
(this is a news agency which shares Nikkei name with the Nikkei Stock Exchange in Japan)
RINTARO TOBITA, Nikkei staff writer August 2, 2023 02:21 JST
WASHINGTON -- U.S. imports of Chinese-made pharmaceuticals are soaring to meet shortages at home, with authorities in some cases greenlighting drugs not formally approved for American use.
In a recent example, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration said on July 10 that it had allowed additional emergency shipments of cisplatin, a drug commonly used in chemotherapy, from China's Qilu Pharmaceutical. Qilu's version of the drug is not approved by the FDA.

āš“šŸš¢
Now, on with the main topic,

https://container-news.com/sailing-...-controlled-storage-in-maritime-conservation/
(BOLD in last paragraph of quote added by me)
Modern Shipping Needs

As global trade continues to expand, the demand for sophisticated logistics solutions, including climate-controlled storage, becomes increasingly critical. Modern shipping not only requires rapid transport but also meticulous care to ensure that sensitive products like pharmaceuticals, perishable foods, and high-tech equipment are delivered in optimal condition. Climate-controlled facilities provide a stable environment that mitigates the risk of temperature fluctuations and humidity, which are particularly detrimental during long sea voyages. This level of control is crucial for maintaining the quality and usability of products upon arrival.

An industry expert remarks, "The integration of climate-controlled storage into maritime logistics is not just an enhancement; it's becoming an industry standard for quality assurance."

Research

Recent studies published in the "Journal of Maritime Economics & Logistics" have shown that the use of climate-controlled storage has reduced spoilage rates by up to 50% in sensitive cargo categories. This significant decrease underscores the importance of such technologies in supporting the economic viability of shipping perishable and high-value items globally.

Here is part of why this topic is a thing to me,
I live where air temperatures of 90 F to 100 F (32.2 C to 37.7 C) summer temperatures are common, & in that environment,
what becomes of the temperature inside not-climate-controlled mail and parcel delivery vans?
And in not-climate-controlled exterior mailboxes, such as at our apartments?
(while Heat Index to us living things is not air temperature on inanimate objects, we had heat index of 113 F (45 C) a week or so ago, so the air temperature itself was quite high)

https://www.shipabco.com/the-rules-for-shipping-pharmaceuticals-you-need-to-know/

(BOLD in 1st paragraph added by me, following Bold is as on page)

Shipping Pharmaceuticals: What You Need to Know About the Cold Chain

When it comes to moving pharmaceuticals, time is of the essence. Temperature control is also important, too. According to information from Shipwaves, seven out of 10 of the top pharmaceuticals used in the U.S. require temperature controlled shipping. A slight change in temperature, even of just 2 degrees, can ruin pharma products. This is why temperature regulated shipping is important.

Temperature controlled shipping is part of cold chain logistics. The cold chain must never be broken. Cold supply chain logistics refers to shipping, storing and distributing refrigerated and frozen goods. You might consider cold chain logistics a process, a technology and a science. The process leg refers to the logistics methods used to maintain the cold chain. The technology leg refers to the methods used to maintain temperature. The science part relates to the biomedical and chemical processes that pharmaceutical products must undergo for safe shipping.

The cold chain has several steps to the logistics process. Steps in the cold chain for shipping pharmaceuticals might include:

• Supply: The drugs, vaccines or pharmaceutical products are made and packaged at a plant.
    • Transportation: The medicines or pharma products are usually transported in a refrigerated or insulated truck. These trucks undergo routine inspections to make sure they are in satisfactory condition to keep inventory at the correct temperature.
    • Storage: Pharmaceutical products might go into cold storage before they are distributed. The refrigerated warehouse can act as a middle ground before pharma products reach their final destination.
    • Market: Generally speaking, the last step in the cold chain logistics process is delivery to the final destination where the pharmaceutical is sold or administered.

Comments

There are no comments to display.

Blog entry information

Author
southwestforests
Read time
1 min read
Views
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from southwestforests

Back