• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Zovirax or Valtrex?

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
It seems like most ME CFS patients use Valtrex. Why is that?

Valtrex gives a higher blood concentration of acyclovir than taking acyclovir itself and dont need to dose as often. Acyclovir/zovirax can be dosed at 800mg multiple times per day. Valtrex 1-3 times per day but twice a day is normal plus depemds on the dose, if on high dose spread it out over the day.

Consider famvir also, it may have actions on other herpes viruses like cmv and hhv6. Usually dose 2 to 3 times per day. Half live of 4-6hrs from memory but has a 18 hr half life intracellularly. Also less risk of kidney stones with famvir compared to valtrex.
500mg twice per day is a common dose.

ChookityPop

Valtrex gives a higher blood concentration of acyclovir than taking acyclovir itself and dont need to dose as often. Acyclovir/zovirax can be dosed at 800mg multiple times per day. Valtrex 1-3 times per day but twice a day is normal plus depemds on the dose, if on high dose spread it out over the day.

Consider famvir also, it may have actions on other herpes viruses like cmv and hhv6. Usually dose 2 to 3 times per day. Half live of 4-6hrs from memory but has a 18 hr half life intracellularly. Also less risk of kidney stones with famvir compared to valtrex.
500mg twice per day is a common dose.
Awesome, Thanks! I will look into famvir too, I remember anecdotes on here of people benefit from it.