• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Zinc formulations — what is the best tolerated??

Hoosierfans

Little bit of background...after 13 years on an antidepressant (Effexor), I came off last year after a 2 1/2 year taper. The doc I worked with at the time told me that anti-depressants damage mitos, so I’m working on that....

But based on my symptoms, I think low serotonin may be at play in a big way (my receptors are obviously a mess from so many years on the meds).

It looks like B6, B1 and zinc are BIG in the production of serotonin. But in the past I’ve never tolerated zinc. Are there certain forms that are easier to handle? Or other vitamins that should be take.alongside to help “process” it??

thanks!!!

Attachments

• 91D68D47-3A1F-4F76-96AD-D3A13EAA086B.png
    91D68D47-3A1F-4F76-96AD-D3A13EAA086B.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 23

Hoosierfans

Can you be more specific?

When I’ve tried zinc, I usually get an increase in symptoms like jitteriness, anxiety, dizziness. My labs show I’m deficient in zinc and copper....oddly I get the same symptoms when I try to supplement w copper too. So I’m sure I need them, I just can’t figure out a way to get them in...

Hip

When I’ve tried zinc, I usually get an increase in symptoms like jitteriness, anxiety, dizziness. My labs show I’m deficient in zinc and copper....oddly I get the same symptoms when I try to supplement w copper too. So I’m sure I need them, I just can’t figure out a way to get them in...

It's not uncommon for ME/CFS patients to react badly to a specific supplement, for no apparent reason. I react badly to the mineral boron, for example.

Have you tried lower doses, like quarter or an eight of the tablet or capsule that you usually take?

By the way, if you have anxiety, this treatment may be of interest.

Hoosierfans

It's not uncommon for ME/CFS patients to react badly to a specific supplement, for no apparent reason. I react badly to the mineral boron, for example.

Have you tried lower doses, like quarter or an eight of the tablet or capsule that you usually take?

By the way, if you have anxiety, this treatment may be of interest.

Yeah I”ve tried baby doses and the same reaction. Boo.

I did see that anxiety protocol and tried it....thank you so much for sharing it. It didn’t help me, but I’ll keep working until I find something that will. 💪🏼

Hip

I did see that anxiety protocol and tried it....thank you so much for sharing it. It didn’t help me, but I’ll keep working until I find something that will.

Unfortunately only about 50% of people do well on that anti-anxiety protocol; for the other 50% it does not work at all.

You might like to experiment with some of the other supplements I found good for anxiety, listed in this post. The intranasal arginine pyroglutamate works well.

Hoosierfans

Unfortunately only about 50% of people do well on that anti-anxiety protocol; for the other 50% it does not work at all.

You might like to experiment with some of the other supplements I found good for anxiety, listed in this post. The intranasal arginine pyroglutamate works well.

Hip,

you are telling me to snort white powder?!? 🤣. Seriously, though, arginine pyroglutamate....I’m REALLY sensitive to glutamine / glutamate so would this be an issue for that substance?

thanks!

Hoosierfans

It may have been the tumeric. Tumeric is high in oxalates (didn’t know that when I started it) and oxalates I think are a big issue for me. Boo.

Hip

you are telling me to snort white powder?!?

Yep! But best not to do it outside a police station!

Actually what I've done now is to dissolve some arginine pyroglutamate powder into distilled water, and make a nasal spray of it, by putting it in a 50 ml nasal spray bottle (you can buy these online). Then I give around 3 or 4 sprays per nostril.

In a 50 ml bottle, I add 5000 mg of arginine pyroglutamate, and add 450 mg of sea salt to make it into physiological solution (physiological solution is more comfortable on the nasal mucous membranes).

.I’m REALLY sensitive to glutamine / glutamate so would this be an issue for that substance?

Not sure, but you could trying using pure L-arginine powder instead. I only use arginine pyroglutamate as this form of arginine crosses the blood-brain barrier more easily.

I find taurine 4 grams daily is another good anti-anxiety supplement; but I find you start to build up a tolerance to this if you use it for more than a few days. So best used as a one-off treatment, on days when anxiety flares up. That's how I use taurine, just for when I get a day with higher than normal anxiety.

Hopeful2021

Hip,

you are telling me to snort white powder?!? 🤣. Seriously, though, arginine pyroglutamate....I’m REALLY sensitive to glutamine / glutamate so would this be an issue for that substance?

thanks!

hello @Hip where does one get intranasal arginine pyroglutamat? Do you make it yourself or compounding pharmacy? How often have you used it if you have? Was it helpful? What measures and markers did it improve? Zinc is definitely a great but tricky supplement. Thanks.

Hopeful2021

You can just buy some arginine pyroglutamate bulk powder, add around 5 grams of it to 50 ml of water, and place in a nasal spray bottle. I notice that my anxiety is reduced as quickly as 20 minutes after nasal spraying.
Ohhhhhhhh 😄
Okay. I will try this. Thank you very much. @Hip

I'm not a fan when doctors bring up "anxiety " as I believe like a cat or winning athlete, our sensors give us constant feedback. When there's too many messages of something biochemically wrong, it often comes up as anxiety.